I suggest you ...

Uppercase/lowercase-change on a Dim command ---> instantly show on all places

When I change between uppercase and lowercase on a variable name in a Dim command - I want this change to instantly show on all places where I have used this variable. (example: I change Dim strLastname as String to Dim strLastName as String --- and I want it to change instantly on all places.) This is very good in VB6 - helps visibility.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Torbjörn GörtzTorbjörn Görtz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Torbjörn GörtzTorbjörn Görtz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Anthony,

Both Ctrl+. and Ctrl+K,Ctrl+D are splendid. Thank you.

But still - why take away the automatic change of case on a variable name - when you leave the Dim line. This could cooexist with all other features - and make coding even simpler/beutyful.
        (Probably this is very ease for you to implement - and will make VB6-coders feeling more at home.)

• SpiritmanSpiritman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aha, I was wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut for Symbolic Rename. Ctrl+. Thanks. :)

• Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Torbjörn,

There are two features in VS2010 today that can help mitigate not having this feature right now.

The first is Symbolic Rename as Spiritman mentions. Instead of trying to catch the small line and click on the icon once the smarttag appears you can press Ctrl+. (Control + period). This shortcut automatically opens up the smart tag without having the reach for the mouse. If there is only one smarttag on the screen Ctrl+. will open that tag wherever it is without having to move the cursor. If there are more than one and your cursor is on the expression that has the smarttag pressing Ctrl+. will open that one. Using this shortcut you can invoke the rename command much easier and faster all without leaving the keyboard.

The second is the "Format Document" command which can always be invoked by pressing the keyboard shortcut chord Ctrl+K, Ctrl+D. This command will make your entire document conform to the VB prettylist/style rules meaning it will correct your identifiers to match the case of their declarations, case correct keywords, indent things if necessary. If for some reason you forget to invoke the Symbolic Rename using Ctrl+. as described above, fret not, you can just press Ctrl+K, Ctrl+D and all of your identifiers will be fixed anyway.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green
        Program Manager
        Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• Torbjörn GörtzTorbjörn Görtz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Spiritman and Microsoft.
        True - and you can also rename the variable name.
        But if you only change between between uppercase/lowercase it should automatically change this on all places when you leave the Dim line - without you having to point and click on the icon - just like it did in VB6. If you don't point on the small line and click on the icon and then click on rename right away you are left with the same variable written in different uppercase/lowercase - which is very unlogical. The new feature with rename is very good - but why take away this automatic change which worked very good in VB6. Both the new and the old feature could exist together. It should work even if you take some letters away and rewrite them in different uppercase/lowercase. With the same variable name it should automatically change instantly on all places.

I write this to Microsoft because I think they just didn't noticed it - but this and other small things can make difference. Why make things less simple/logical/beautyful.

• SpiritmanSpiritman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is available - it's called symbolic rename, I believe.

When you edit the name of a previously declared variable (or enum member, etc.) in the declaration, a small icon appears at the end of the name. Hover over it and it changes to a clickable icon. Click this and you get the option to propagate the change throughout your code.

Note that any code commented out will not be affected.

Feedback and Knowledge Base