I suggest you ...

"View White Space" should show line endings too

As described here: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/621096/view-white-space-should-show-line-endings-too

Request:
* Visual Studio > Edit menu > Advanced > View White Space.
* Currently, this feature shows a symbol for space and tab characters.
* I would like to be able to view line endings too.
* I would like to be able to view what style of line ending was used.

And that's it for the request.

And now I offer some suggestions as to how this may look. Here's what I've seen other tools do:
* TortoiseMerge uses a single, unobtrusive symbol. It is "light" and does not distract from the main document text. They have a down arrow symbol to represent LF; a left arrow symbol to represent CR; and down-and-left arrow (i.e. a single symbol) to represent CRLF.
* Notepad++ uses a single symbol per character. So the CRLF would be two symbols (one for CR and one for LF). Their symbol choice is a bit "heavy", but is probably quite flexible when it comes to displaying other non-visible Unicode characters.
* Notepad++ offers options to select which white space characters to display. Options include "space and tab only", "end of line" and "show all characters". It would be great if Visual Studio can offer similar options.

162 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andre LombardAndre Lombard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is breaking my workflow. To see line endings I need to launch Notepad++.

• Steen Hulthin RasmussenSteen Hulthin Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature has become even more important with the git support in Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 since line ending are (by normally) handled by git.

Feedback and Knowledge Base