I suggest you ...

Stop automatically messing with my solution configurations and platforms

Every single time I add a project to a solution, Visual Studio "helpfully" adds to the solution every configuration it finds in the project.

Every single time the project has a platform that the solution doesn't, Visual Studio "helpfully" creates the missing solution platform and also, most annoyingly, "Mixed Platforms".

PLEASE leave them alone. I set them up how I like and I'd like them to stay that way.

Example use case #2:

I create a new project (defaults to x86) and add a Util library (AnyCPU). Wham, I'm only 5 seconds into a new project and I already have to clean up "AnyCPU" and "Mixed Platforms" from my solution platforms.

Example use case #1:

A library project has four configurations: Debug, Release, DebugWithFeatureX, ReleaseWithFeatureX. I add this to a project that has existed for years. The configurations "*WithFeatureX" only make sense for the library; the project is supposed to choose one of them and stick with it.

Instead, the users of the library are forced to clean up these never-watned configurations.

300 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    romrom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JoelCJoelC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish we could merge all of these configuration requests, because this is an important issue for me and they are spread over 6+ suggestions here.

See "Fix Build Configuration Management in VS 11" for more information.

• Hired MindHired Mind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I manage WPF compositing through IoC Container modules, and have a different set of screens, contained in an Assembly, for every "role" (user, admin, etc), that are created. It makes it very easy to manage all those screens.

But since I have dozens and dozens of DLLs, and create/abandon them on a regular basis, this problem is driving me absolutely BATTY!

Visual Studio, please, when I add a new class library project, just ASK me what configurations I want you to build it in. I'd be happy to tell you. Don't create your own!

Inevitably it makes builds take longer (b/c it's building all projects, including all installers, etc), and makes me spend time chasing down problems that aren't really problems at all. This has probably cost us hundreds of hours over the years. (YEARS!)

Microsoft, please stop, take a breather from adding snazzy new features, and fix some of these usability problems. This one has been in the product at least as far back as Visual Studio 2010.

• David W ParvinDavid W Parvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the problem of when I add a brand new project to a solution, it does not get all of the solution's configurations and platforms. The new project has a default set and most have nothing to do with what I do all the time. When I go to try to add the configuration/platform to the project, it tells me that I can't because the solution already has that configuration. To get it set in a new project, I have to remove the configuration/platform from the solution and add it back in. Then I have to undo the checkout of all the other projects and now I can continue working.

• Rafael RiveraRafael Rivera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh god, yes. I feel like a maid having to clean up after Visual Studio every time I want to share my solution set/code with someone.

• Garrett SerackGarrett Serack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Variations on this bug have irritated me for *years* with Visual Studio--it creating solution platforms that I didn't ask or want (most notably 'Mixed Platforms' ).

I've even given thought to creating a plugin called "No-means-no", but it appears that there isn't any programmable interface to delete unwanted solution platforms in the model.

I deal with a ton of projects that don't have this, don't use this, and don't want this, and I spend a non-trivial amount of time correcting for this.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Odd... I have the exact OPPOSITE problem!! Every time I add a new project, I have to go in and manually create the solution configurations for it, clicking '<new>' for each configuration, then '<new>' for each platform... for all combinations. Oh, and I have to manually set the project to compile with the rest of the solution???

Please tell me how to get to your problem! : P

Feedback and Knowledge Base