I suggest you ...

Make it possible to disable Team Project

It is possible to stop a team project collection from the TFS Administration console, however there is no functionality to stop a Team Project.

My enterprise follows a code freeze policy, during this time we would like to disable the team project completely, no changes to work items, code base, etc. The work around is changing the user group permissions, but that would mean changing the project meta, while ideally you do not want to do this when you are managing over 200 team projects.

Appreciate if there any work around that I might have missed...

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tarun AroraTarun Arora shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tarun,

but what ist the meaning of the state "Active" in the management console. When I select one Collection there and then select the tab "Team projects" I see this column. How do I set one project to "Inactive"?

Alex

• Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tarun,

Thanks for your idea. Making a project collection offline is pretty easy, because all the information is stored in one database. It is thus an operation on the database. Make a team project offline or disabled however involves lot of effort to make that happen.
        There is also a work around where you create a security group for your contributors and your admins. When you want to disable a team project, you can just move these from the contributors/admin group to the readers group (with add and remove).

Based on these arguments (effort and a workaround) we rather spend our limited resources on other feature requests. Of course this is user voice, and the votes will tell if I am wrong. If there is lot of traction on this idea, I am very willing to revise my point of view.

Ewald Hofman
        Program Manager TFS

Feedback and Knowledge Base