I suggest you ...

Add the ability to use the same shared step multiple times with different parameters in the same iteration

At present you can use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration, however, you can only use it with the same parameter values.

It would be extremely useful from a test case design perspective if you could use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration with different parameter values each time the shared step is used.

102 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark BatchelerMark Batcheler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Need to understand the ask a bit more before deciding on next steps.

Is the ask here that I can have a set of parameters mentioned at a Shared Step level (outer loop) and then have additional parameters within a test case (inner loop), but be in a position to iterate through each outer loop value with multiple inner loop values, while managing the SharedStep related parameters at a single location to be shared across test cases.

Ex: @User & @Pwd at Shared Step level, but @Book, @Qty at Test case level & support the following parameter values:

@User=U1, @Pwd=p1
    @Book=B1, @Qty=10
    @Book=B2, @Qty=20
    @Book=B3, @Qty=30
    @User= U2, @Pwd=p2
    @Book=B1, @Qty=10
    @Book=B2, @Qty=20
    @Book=B3, @Qty=30

If yes, have you looked at the Shared Parameters capability that has been added to the product: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd997832.aspx#SharedParameters

With this capability, you can manage all the parameters at one central location and be able quickly identify all the test cases that reference this SharedParameter.

So, in the above example, you will have the following values in the SharedParameter:

@User=U1, @Pwd=p1, @Book=B1, @Qty=10
    @User=U1, @Pwd=p1, @Book=B2, @Qty=20 @User=U1, @Pwd=p1, @Book=B3, @Qty=30
    @User=U2, @Pwd=p2, @Book=B1, @Qty=10
    @User=U2, @Pwd=p2, @Book=B2, @Qty=20 @User=U2, @Pwd=p2, @Book=B3, @Qty=30

I will wait for more clarifications to this comment, but based on my current understanding, I am inclined to marking this UV suggestion as “Completed” (feature: SharedParameters)

Thanks
    -Ravi Shanker

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark BatchelerMark Batcheler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ravi

I've now upgraded to Test Manager 2015 and had the chance to review this properly. Whilst the Shared Parameters functionality is certainly useful, I'm not sure that it covers this suggestion.

In the suggestion above I'm looking to be able to run a test case once but be able to loop through one or more of the parameters during one iteration.

For example:
        Test Case 1 Iteration 1
        Shared Step 1 (Step 1)
        Shared Step 2 (Step 2)
        Shared Step 3 (Step 3)
        Step 4
        Step 5
        Step 6

BEGIN LOOP
        Step 7 with parameter 1 set to value 1
        Step 8 with parameter 2 set to value a
        Step 9 with parameter 3 set to value !

Step 7 with parameter 1 set to value 2
        Step 8 with parameter 2 set to value b
        Step 9 with parameter 3 set to value #
        END LOOP

Step 10
        Shared Step 4 (Step 11)

This would be useful because sometimes a test case can become very large and you don't always want to have to run the same test case multiple times across different iterations. Currently, you have to go through every step in sequential order before starting again on a new iteration.

The new shared parameter functionality doesn't really allow for this and instead allows you to use the same parameters across multiple test cases (Which in itself is useful)

• Mark BatchelerMark Batcheler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ravi.

I think I need to see this in action upon upgrading to 2015 before I can comment. We plan to do so within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Mark Batcheler

• ABAB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! I was really disappointed when I found that this could not be done. Now I have to create very redundant test steps multiple times.

• DWDW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More flexibility in this area to apply different sets of parameter values to multiple calls to the same shared step would really make shared steps more valuable to our organization.

Feedback and Knowledge Base