I suggest you ...

Additional overload to System.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary GetOrAdd

As it stands, the ConcurrentDictionary has a GetOrAdd method that accepts a valueFactory delegate that is not included within the scope of the lock, hence it can be executed multiple times and as a result adding the value to the dictionary and executing the valueFactory is not an atomic operation. This behaviour seems to be misleading in relation to what the API leads one would assume that the benifit of having a method accepting a function overload would be. Let's see an example:

For example, the intention of the following code is clear:
Object value = ValueFactory(); myConcurrentDictionary.GetOrAdd(key, value)

From the overload that accepts only the value it is crystal clear that when I invoke the valueFactory, it is not thread safe.

Now suppose we have

private string ValueFactory()
{
// some logic for creating a value
}

myConcurrentDictionary.GetOrAdd(key, ValueFactory)

The developer is left thinking, "now what could the added value of this overload be!?" - and then comes the false assumption "aha, the cool guys developing the concurrent dictionary thought that I might need to enlist some additional actions within the lock for adding as an atomic operation, great!" Of course, this is not the case. So as a result there appears to be little added value of having this method overload provided by the platform, given that I can already invoke my value factory in an unsafe way.

Understandably, when the team desiged this feature in this way, we can assume it was decided to 'protect' the developer by avoiding the risk of locks acquired during a long period of time due to slow running valueFactories. But why add this overload then, if I already have a way of invoking valueFactory in a thread unsafe way that is more explicit?

To address this issue, In the future, I would really like to see an overload with an option of lockBehaviour for the valueFactory (if it should be included or excluded from the lock) - By adding such a switch, it will allow for backwards compatibility (with a default of e.g. ValueFactoryLockBehaviour.ExcludeFromLock) and it would also empower the developer to choose if he wants to have valueFactories execute as atomic operations with the add and at the process allow for shooting himself in the foot by potentially acquiring a looooong running lock. (After all with great power comes responsibility)

A couple of links:
[1] http://ayende.com/blog/4802/concurrentdictionary-getoradd-may-call-the-valuefactory-method-more-than-once
[2] http://geekswithblogs.net/BlackRabbitCoder/archive/2011/02/17/c.net-little-wonders-the-concurrentdictionary.aspx

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anastasios YalanopoulosAnastasios Yalanopoulos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EtEt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with - Florin Neamtu COMPETELY 100% and re-iterate his rant on http://geekswithblogs.net/. There is no point in running the delegate outside the lock. There is no point in gaining concurrency at the expense of data integrity!!

It is rare that I run an update that does not have some check in it. e.g. "Does he have a non zero balance"... How the blazes are you supposed to include this in an atomic fashion?!?!?

The ConcurrentDictionary is waste of time!

• Keith RobertsonKeith Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also was completely sure that GetOrAdd was atomic, the alternative didn't cross my mind, and I also wasted a morning debugging just to learn that it isn't. I agree with previous statement, "otherwise the whole concept of a concurrent dictionary is useless." Don't add an overload, just make the existing method work in a way that makes sense. Overhead is far less important than conceptual correctness and simplicity.

• Florin NeamtuFlorin Neamtu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just came across this - it is a nasty bug, the valueFactory must always be included in the lock, otherwise the whole concept of a concurrent dictionary is useless. The operation MUST be atomic, otherwise how can I add or retrieve a value in an atomic manner? I will have to lock externally the dictionary myself, same as I'd do with the ordinary dictionaries ... I wasted a whole morning trying to figure wtf is going on!!! Is it fixed in .NET 4.5?

Feedback and Knowledge Base