I suggest you ...

Add native Markdown support

Markdown is known as best idea for project text files. For example most README files novadays are written in markdown.

Also default README.md could be possible added to project templates.

To get more details visit Markdown specs page http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/.

790 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike ChaliyMike Chaliy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy LewisAndy Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Content groups across Microsoft are moving to Markdown. VS has great Git support and lots of other tools that can provide writers with some of the same productivity benefits that engineers enjoy. We empower customers with both code and content. Content is just another kind of code, parsed by humans (and also machines to help build the content).

• Anthony HunterAnthony Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Peter, it would be nice to have Visual Studio default to displaying the markdown file. To edit the file, there could be an edit button. Similar to what they have done in the VSO/TFS2015 Welcome page.
        Having this would allow projects to create very useful readme docs for their team and code.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a feature like this that lets us view the readme when either selecting the project node in visual studio or the tfs browser.

I don't think the web essentials markdown editor is good enough as it splits the screen. Would be better to have an edit mode switch.

Feedback and Knowledge Base