I suggest you ...

As web.config elements is increasing so far, i recommend making a complete GUI to deal with it.

227 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    M.SamiM.Sami shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi All

Thanks for voting on this UserVoice Topic. All ASP.NET related requests are now being handled at the ASP.NET UserVoice site, http://aspnet.uservoice.com/ – we are closing this request as declined to free up your votes here – please head over to the ASP.NET UserVoice and raise this topic there or vote for items that cover it.

Thanks!
    Visual Studio Team

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cameron UsmanCameron Usman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe it just needs a Smart Text Editor (WebMatrix and Visual Studio) that is aware of all the possible web.config XML tags, grouping / wraps, attributes, and possible values where sets apply. The "Editor" should also have ability to encrypt password and do other such things. The "Editor" should also allow quick reference to full documentation of all the web.config supported XML including deprecated and version specific information.

• HeathHeath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I first saw the reduced clutter web.Config in ASP.NET 4 I was really impressed. Then I saw what it still looks like to support and MVC project...

Everything still looks like its heading in the right direction and I don't know if a full on GUI is the way to to, but I think this could still use some attention/improvement.

• Scott HunterScott Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we simplified the web.config in .NET 4 and with .NET 4.5 being a framework that replaces .NET we had to add some flags to the config in order to add new features but allow them to be disabled for applications targeting .NET 4. We will again reduce this again when we have a release that does not replace your existing framework.

Feedback and Knowledge Base