I suggest you ...

Add some color to Visual Studio 2012

Usability studies have shown that both shape and color help to distinguis visual elements in a UI. The upcoming/current beta release of Visual Studio 2011 has removed color from the toolbars and from icons in e.g. the Solution Explorer.

Please make this optional so those of us that want a more accessible and user friendly IDE can have their cake and eat it too.

13,351 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MichielMichiel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Thomas Krueger MCTS Thomas Krueger MCTS shared a merged idea: Visual Studio 2012 need mor Color. It is increadible bad the black and white !  ·   · 
    Umar RiazUmar Riaz shared a merged idea: I hate the chrome of the new Visual studio 2012. PLEASE BRING COLORS BACK!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: fix the color theme for VS2012, cause it causes too much eye strain  ·   · 
    Ray CarpenterRay Carpenter shared a merged idea: Colors, Colors, Colors!!! Visual Studio 2012 reminds me of the old Monochrome monitors days.  ·   · 
    Ifthekhar HasanIfthekhar Hasan shared a merged idea: Go back to drawing board to design look and fill of UI of VS 2012  ·   · 
    keyur shahkeyur shah shared a merged idea: Please make the developer life colorful with new VS2012. We finding ourself more busy in identifying new tool rather doing our development.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Color in Visual Studio 2012  ·   · 
    VS11VS11 shared a merged idea: Add some color.....  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add More Color to Visual Studio 11 RC and remove the CAPS!  ·   · 
    zerqzerq shared a merged idea: PLEASE!!!!!! Switch to a sane color scheme who ever had the idea to remove colors and contrast have him tared and feathered!!!  ·   · 
    Roman SallinRoman Sallin shared a merged idea: Use of color in Visual Studio 2011  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Updated Status: 7/2/2013

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Visual Studio 2013 has increased color and contrast use within the user interface while continuing to focus on giving the content you are creating and editing visual prominence. We’ve utilized the feedback you gave us to help refine our approach to color and contrast within three main areas: 1) we added color to icons and reduced line weights to improve icon scan-ability and to better communicate icon meaning and categorization; 2) we added line work and raised contrast levels to increase visual separation between screen regions; 3) we included a built-in “Blue” theme option at product first launch to better support user choice.

In keeping with these three areas we have made many changes to the Visual Studio 2013 built-in themes. In high utilization and icon intensive areas of the product, such as common toolbar actions and code hierarchy elements, we refined the color and/or line weight of over 1,000 commonly used icons resulting in color being applied to ~80% of standard and debug toolbar icons, ~75% of code hierarchy icons, and 100% of active notifications. In both the Light and Dark themes we increased contrast levels and introduced more border line work to better highlight the edges of content areas such as input fields, tool window borders, active selection states, etc. We also introduced the ability to choose the theme that best meets your preferences and work environment needs as a part of the product first launch experience.

Many of the changes we’ve made are subtle in nature but broad reaching in their application. As Visual Studio 2013 Preview has now shipped, we’re closing this item to give your votes back for you to use on emerging topics. We encourage you to try out the changes we’ve made and then share additional feedback you might have.

Thanks,
    Visual Studio UX Team

Hi folks,

Take a look at the VS 2012 Color Theme Editor – it is an option for creating and editing your own Visual Studio themes.

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/366ad100-0003-4c9a-81a8-337d4e7ace05

thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

1209 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RomanRoman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anna Metcalfe, I suggest you study and put to use the book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. It could help you become less dependent on what other people say. You will be more easily able to live according to this principle: "Live and let live".

• radioman.ltradioman.lt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Because win8 doesn't have "all black&white" icons" ..oh it WILL ;} ..it will ;]
        ...it will be a joke of the age, ha ha

• exaltingexalting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why everyone is talking about "it is all for consistency with win8"?
        From the start, VS2012 does NOT have consistency with win8!
        Because win8 doesn't have "all black&white" icons.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's over 111K downloads of the theme editor. I see the proliferation of Metro to MSDN and Blog content. Buttons and navigation targets the size of my mouse, barely contrasting colors selected for text, confusing layouts...

How does the primary creator of so many things cool on the web fall so far? The principles responsible for the mess are leaving or being asked to clean out their desks. A person could be forgiven for thinking the desktop has taken the hit it has over ego's and personal agenda.

And so here we are with the... the... mess.

Not happy.

• Axel CharpentierAxel Charpentier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand what led MS to design this UI, consistency with MS UX Guidelines for win8 ?
        Well there is no consistency between users. An Win8 RT on surface user does not expect the same UI the a Software architect or a developer!!

I am paid to use visual studio a build nice app, VS2012 makes my productivity fall dramatically. I am loosing time (and my company money) searching the right icon… we have lost all our marks and getting them back is a pain with this UI

It is not a question of taste, it a question of usabaility/accessibility and productivity.
        For the first time in my career and as a head of architecture in my company, I'll not push for upgrading our dev tool …. because of an UI issue….absurde

And the worth thing is this UI issue is likely to discourage people to use all new cool features of VS2012…

• Jayson ParkourJayson Parkour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The VS 2012 Color Theme Editor doesn't seem to fix all the terrible icons and their lack of color. This is not a solution.

This issue still has so many votes, because it is STILL not fixed.

• exaltingexalting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gustavo Ganna>Girls have a good taste for visual
        It's very girlish - take all these scary and weird technical buttons, switches, indicators, and throw them away, or at least cover up with lacy doily. What do guys say, they understand it and use it for work? Actually, they just show off and boast!

• Gustavo GannaGustavo Ganna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@exalting ... naaa I don't think so. Girls have a good taste for visual. This is the end result of letting the COLORBLIND guys at Redmond work on the UI.

If you don't believe me, look at the Doug Turnure response, you can use the VS 2012 Color Theme Editor ... to change the UI's background color LOL.

With a reply like that, makes me want to throw my useless led color monitor to the middle of the street, and reconnect my old Commodore 64 ... at least I could enjoy SIXTEEN colors.

• Gustavo GannaGustavo Ganna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'************************************************************
        'THIS IS AN INSULT TO INTELLIGENCE!
        The NEW toolbars looks like Microsoft Visual Basic 1.0 for Windows 3.1 in 1991, that’s more than TWO DECADES AGO. Instead of moving forward you are forcing us to go backwards.

This FAILED UI experiment it’s an insult to professional programmers who have invest more than 20 years coding.

Finding the ErrorProvider control now took 2 minutes easily, when we should spec a white cross inside a red circle but no ... now everything is greyscale flat.

You guys are INSULTING US, and spec that professionals do rewrite their minds and train for a new unnatural visual pattern recognizance in order to ATTEMPT to find something inside VS2012.

• MS 31684MS 31684 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Read the comments and open your eyes..please don't change good things to ugly...

• MS 31684MS 31684 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we don't need this stupid theme extensions..we are used to color codes for visual studio...why u guys r changing things which people like...thts how u wana start developer hating Microsoft or what..the visual studio 2010 has the great theme and people want to be stable in this as you guys release a new version every 2 years...insane it is..i scrictly condemn this action which puts this organization at risk of peoples hatred..

• steste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has nothing to do with personal taste - it's an accessibility issue!

Surely this was brought up in the beta? oh wait.. it was.

I've been considering Android development for a while now, but I love Visual Studio too much. That's why I've spent a day of theme/icon hacking, and after almost two weeks of trying to get used to it, it's still not usable.

Thank you Microsoft - the desktop certainly is dead now!

• Wayne BlossWayne Bloss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to edit the theme or hack the good icons back in.

I just want it to look good out of the box like VS 2010 did.

• gerdigerdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

amazes me how many votes basic little user interface tweeks are getting. I get the feeling that visual studio has become extremely popular. So much so that designers are opening up VS instead of photoshop.

All you ppl complaining please do yourself a favor and download any other IDE ( free or other ) and use that and let the users trying to create a productive environment for development get on with issues pertaining to the actual framework and its integration with the IDE. You can sit and struggle with those platforms while we get on with it ... they do have "color" well not really xcode but hey apple made that so it must be good hey.

Feedback and Knowledge Base