Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sandeep PrajapatiSandeep Prajapati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree.. Please keep it uniform with other tab-able application. almost all browsers uses CTRL+W to close current tab.

• Shiv KumarShiv Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this suggestion, I'm afraid. Ctrl+F4 is a windows standard for closing tabs or child (Remember MDI child windows?) windows since I can remember. Please don't change this in VS.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ctrl-f4 is really awkward to use. So much so that I prefer to use the mouse to close tabs.(I have big hands, but I need to lift from normal typing!)

• Hung LeHung Le commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Tools | Options | Keyboard...

Add CTRL+W as a Global shortcut for Window.CloseDocumentWindow
        Remove the CTRL+W shortcut for Edit.SelectCurrentWord
        The caveat to this is if you are used to using CTRL+W to select the current word. If you do, find another shortcut that works for that.

• Sharon TalbotSharon Talbot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a person with small hands, I'd like to state that Ctl-F4 does not work for me. This is a common interaction, so I should be able to do it one-handed. Ctl-W is a standard elsewhere.

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. It's a travesty that Ctrl+W has ever been used for this purpose. It's as if starting today, it slowly became common on linux or osx to use Ctrl+C to close apps. Ctrl+F4 has been the standard for a long time now, just as Ctrl+C has meant copy. I still remember when each app used a different keystroke for Copy, and now we're backsliding on the CloseWindow command. I wonder where this misfeature started? I suspect Netscape.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be a great default.

For those who don't know, you can middle click to close a tab.

• jalfjalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to clear up a bit of the misinformation here, ctrl-w and ctrl-F4 *both* close the current tab in most browsers (including IE). CTRL-F4 is fairly common in Windows-only apps, but virtually every cross-platform app and many Windows-only ones, such as IE) allow you to close a tab with ctrl-W.

Personally, I prefer ctrl-W because (1) it's much easier to reach with one hand than ctrl-F4, and (2) a number of apps only react to ctrl-W. It'd be nice if VS followed this convention.

• CesarCesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a doubt of mine: Why Ctrl + W?
        It has been Ctrl + F4 for ages closing MdiChilds, Tabs and so.
        I noticed Notepad++ uses Ctrl + W and now this suggestion. Who invented this new "standard" and why "W" key? Just curious

• Chris WrightChris Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Ctrl + F4 is generally the accepted standard for closing tabs (this is true in IE and Opera and other tabbed browsers)

• mrdevmrdev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is what Ctrl+F4 is for. IE tabs work the same way. This key combination dates back to the MDI windows. Ctrl+F4 to close mdi child or tab, Alt + F4 to close the app.

• Bill HenningBill Henning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First thing I do when setting up VS is to bind Ctrl+Q to my close tab command. That one hasn't ever conflicted with other VS keys for me, although I'm not sure if it would for Resharper or CodeRush.

Feedback and Knowledge Base