I suggest you ...

Go All-In with a Zune-Style Metro UI (See My Makeover Screenshot)

Based on the comments at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/02/23/introducing-the-new-developer-experience.aspx?#comments

Here's my UI makeover for VS 2012:

VIEW THE SCREENSHOT MAKEOVER: Attached, or see http://i.imgur.com/Dh0zV.png

Problems I addressed:

1. No more :::::::::::::, and the Toolbar Separators are flatter and lighter.

2. Highly influenced by Zune App UI. Take note of the Min/Max/Close, and the Size Grip, as well as the simple border.

3. Brighter background, minimalist scrollbar, no more reminders of Windows 3.1

4. The ALL CAPS thing is still there, but formatted exactly like in Zune's Metro UI Typographic Style.

5. VS 2012 Icon, Title Bar, and Menu made more consistent with Metro UI's header font, Segoe UI Light.

976 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    thenonhackerthenonhacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Visual Studio UV Site AdminAdminVisual Studio UV Site Admin (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks for the idea, and we’ve taken steps with RC to address the feedbck we’ve received to date. As it stands, I’m going to close this idea out – technically as declined, but we have made adjustments to the UI. While we did not adapt this particular suggestion, I hope you will find the changes are an improvement over Beta. If not, please feel free to make a new suggestion. Closing this item will give everyone back their votes, to apply against RC.

thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HeathHeath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredibly disappointed that this was declined even technically. It's a gaping inconsistency that you adhere to SOME Metro design principles within a Windowed application but pick and choose which get applied and which don't. This is an improvement over the beta, but only incremental.

• HeathHeath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to express how much more "alive" the RC looks. The lack of chrome and proper color based highlighting really seem to naturally draw emphasis on what's important, when it's important.

I will say I hope this isn't the end of UI tweaking. thenonhacker's mockup is really desireable looking. In particular, the font sizing and bolding on the collapsed panels is a "soft" way of making them visible and present without stealing focus.

Again, great work! I love seeing the improvements in each iteration.

• Visual Studio UV Site AdminAdminVisual Studio UV Site Admin (Admin, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do listen. That doesn't mean we do everything that is suggested, but I assure you we spend extensive time sorting through your suggestions, and taking an honest look at them.

And we're actively tracking your feedback on the RC update announcement as well. Thanks for passing along your opinions.

Doug Turnure
        VS Program Manager

• SandRockSandRock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using VS11's Dark theme since the beta release. I took a few weeks to learn how to recognize and use things. Now I think the new experience is great. Colors may need some review but are okay for me.

• FloeleFloele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better than the current style, but I still prefer VS2010 over this one. There really wasn't that much wrong with the style of VS2010, a redesign is not necessary in my opinion.

• freeflyfreefly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that make over.

To VS guys : If you decided to go metro style then go full metro. Why stand in between ?

• Ronan ThibaudauRonan Thibaudau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with daniel, i don't want change in my UI and i don't think "modifying the changes" is the way to go. The changes were ******, revert them and think there is no change needed or, as i posted in the actual issue, make VS themable and let the community handle it, just ship the base UI like 2010.

• thenonhackerthenonhacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sven: This version will have the close button active area extend to the upper right corner, so that it's consistent with other Windows apps.

• SvenSven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't you use a standard window border? This window would drive me nuts. I want to click blindly into the upper right corner to close my windows and not target such a small close button which cannot be clicked by trowing the mouse into the hot corner.

@VSlover: If you maximize VS, the status bar will optically recede at the bottom edge of the screen, making it secondary. I'll consider reducing the saturation of the bar like Jon did.

@Adam: Since Revamp V2 I was figuring out a way to convert the toolbar into QAT, but I realized that VS 11 needed an Office Fluent UI in the first place... No more multiple toolbars hanging around, and I can imagine the toolbox to be similar to Visio's Shape Templates panel.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not a fan of the bright purple status bar, and the non-standard chrome, but the rest of it is pretty nice actually. I wouldn't mind seeing an Office-esque "Quick Access" toolbar. Then I would get rid of the main toolbar entirely.

• VSloverVSlover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is starting to look real nice. But I keep on my position: the Office-like bright status bar hurts my eyes. It's the single most prominent and flash thing on the whole screen, and perhaps the less useful one.

Maybe Jon is on to something as well... I can't seem to make up my mind right now ;)

@Daniel: Historically they've always changed the UI, to conform with the look and feel of the latest Windows and Office versions.

• Daniel SmithDaniel Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish UserVoice had a vote down option. I can just see Microsoft thinking this is a great idea, in the same way they thought making everything grey would be welcomed with open arms.

I don't want to see any of these kinds of changes in Visual Studio 11. I'd much rather the UI was restored to exactly the way it was in VS2010, and other feature requests worked on instead.

@OJ: Thanks!

I think you saw Revamp V1.

The latest revamp is V5, and has color to it (see 2 comments back).

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base