I suggest you ...

Visual Studio Task Manager

One of the best things about Visual Studio is it's extensibility. The problem is, the more extensions I install, the less stable my Visual Studio gets, the more memory it takes, and sometimes it even takes constant CPU even when minimized. It would be great to have a task manager feature which allowed you to identify the misbehaving extension much easier.

1,093 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan HoffmanRyan Hoffman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JaneJane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS crashes all the time, probably cause of extensions. Please add this.

• contextfreecontextfree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a way to deal with misbehaving extensions - a Task Manager is one possible approach ...

• cpmcgrathcpmcgrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@kristina Really? You're going to complain about that? Somebody dedicates their time to make an extension which makes your life easier, and gives it to you for free, and you complain that when you update it pops open a webpage which they may or may not get a bit of money from an ad?

Installing a new extension requires a restart of Visual Studio, the amount of time it would take to close a webpage is minimal compared to a Visual Studio restart. Not to mention you don't have to install an update.

• kristinakristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@all , I have seen a new kind of spam on Visual studio gallery. I have installed a plugin who tell me to update time to time. update it and they have open the page in web browser. Is microsoft have made a limit for giving maximum update in a week/months.

• Rudi LarnoRudi Larno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a minimum the VS team should instrument extension points running on the UI thread and measure it. Any (extension) code that has an above average load on the UI thread should be flagged and it should be possible to disable those extensions.

Similar to the IE 'Manage add-ons' that shows load times. I believe a lot of the perceived slowness of VS is due to extensions and to much happening on the UI thread.

• Ryan HoffmanRyan Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@James: How do I know what extensions are misbehaving? I only have a few extensions installed in the first place, and they are all Microsoft released ones! Why would taking extensions out of process have a "disasterous effect on performance"? Google Chrome and Internet Explorer have basically proven you wrong on this.

• James LJames L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't work like that. Add-ins run in process. Taking them out of process would have a disasterous effect on performance, and would be a massive piece of work.

The solution is for the extension developers to fix their bugs. In the short term, stop installing so many extensions!

• Ryan HoffmanRyan Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex: How is that supposed to be helpful? That seems like a clone of Process Explorer. The most useful thing I gather is the Threads tab, however it does not connect the treads back to what extension created it. There is a need for a "Task Manager" in VS.- something similar to the Google Chrome task manager.

Feedback and Knowledge Base