I suggest you ...

Open fast

Make it so that opening a simple text file from Explorer is fast. It's just Text. Make it so fast to open that I no longer need a notepad replacement.
Make VS2011 into the best notepad replacement!!

It's just text, after all. It's ALL text.

328 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen PriceStephen Price shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PJTraillPJTraill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps it would be useful to have the possibility to open the document with a different editor that loads faster. But I agree that plain text should always load fast, and I like the idea of initialising bells and whistles in the background, so you can at least get a quick look at the start of the document; editting can come later, and IntelliStuffAndNonsense later still. (To be fair, IntelliSense in MSVS 2013 on my new 8Gb laptop seems appreciably more useful than in 2010 on my old with 4Gb.)

• aprapr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try to open a 10Mbytes single(!) line text document, and the ide hangs for hours or crash (ssd not helps). Notepad needs 10ms for the same...

• Rudi LarnoRudi Larno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with an SSD, it still feels slow when it is attempting to load all of the extra stuff everytime.

The Visual Studio Team (as the Windows team has done) needs to go back to the basics and get these right first. There are numerous related ideas here around this topic that all basically come back to the same issue:

VS is to bloated with lots of unrelated components. Most people do not need WPF, WinForms, Web, Windows Phone, Silverlight, Azure, Office, SharePoint components for every project.

The VS team really needs to build in the right extensibility points to allow MS Marketing to push their message across (hey go build for SharePoint, Office, Azure, Metro, ...) but they should not load those components.

So related but not the same:
        http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ideas/suggestions/2035455-use-nuget-to-install-most-of-the-components

• KikozKikoz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

... or buy a machine with SSD and enjoy opening any document in VS in less than a second. Voting this one down.

• PhilippePhilippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would effectively be nice if the editor would open without loading all extensions when opening code files and not a project/solution. Or at least, it should display almost immediatly and load other stuff in the background (or by pressing a button to load all stuff).

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't mind even if all you could do is look at the code without plugins or IDE features like intellisense, having them load in the background.

The first thing I tend to do after opening a file it open it, afterall. Edits come later.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're looking for an efficient notepad, Visual Studio is not exactly up for it. It's a full fledged IDE. There's so many stuff to load that, yes, it will be slow to startup. Just install Notepad++/Sublime Text 2/GEdit/vim/emacs/ed and open your text file with it.

• Abhijit BhattacharyaAbhijit Bhattacharya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. VS is a pretty good editor, but takes forever to open up; even more so with all the extensions loaded up.

Feedback and Knowledge Base