I suggest you ...

Bring Back the Visual Studio Installation Customization Options

We'd like to have all of the options back to customize Visual Studio. We'd probably like to have more granular installation customization, but at the very least, let us customize the installation.

864 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason GaylordJason Gaylord shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris RobertsChris Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really laziness under the guise of "we're making things simpler and removing clutter".

I actually get tired of hearing the much-overused phrase these days of "you spoke, we listened!" ...but I'd love to hear that now with the custom install options, and with giving the VS2010 (or similar) theme back.

• Tudor TurcuTudor Turcu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the team at Microsoft - this is NOT a consumer-product, is NOT Office - a true developer wants to be able to tweak every aspect of the setup process. Many people choose to install SQL Server Developer separately, not SQL Server Express. Many people never use VB, F#. C++, use a different installer and never use "office tools" Also, usually I select only a few help items that I really need, not all MSDN, I never use the built-in obfuscator etc.

About "One of the things we learned in Dev10 was that only about 10% of customers chose to customize their installations at all" - how did you found this? I have never enabled the "send feedback to.." checkboxes when installing any product until now.

For VS web development I expect to be able to customize it to take less than 2 GB of disk space, NOT the huge 9 GB that the installer occupy now after several hours of running the setup.

• SergeySergey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, it makes sense to install optional SQL Express. SQL Express version distributed with Visual Studio is often not the last. You have to install SQL Express or SQL Enterprise latest version.

• a_zura_zur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One point is the disk space on SSD. Another point is that later, in the daily work, I have many more options I never use if I not customize the installation. (e.g. “New Project”). My impression is also that the startup is faster if you choose only some languages.
        I have installed every version since Version 6.0, always only C++, but rarely clicked “Send feedback” – sorry probably my mistake.

• HeathHeath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While a consolidated list of components in Add/Remove would be nice, a customized install feature is sorely missed in this Beta.

• OatherOather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, a minimal c++ install without all the .net support would likely speed up the IDE as well (eg the debug exceptions dialog).

• James D. SchwarzmeierJames D. Schwarzmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only should the install be customizable, but it seriously needs to consolidate itself. I think my install put something like 38 different entries in add/remove programs. Are all of these really neccesary? It seems like a lot of the entries are really subcomponents or individual features...can cause quite the mess when trying to uninstall stuff.

• Taavi KoosaarTaavi Koosaar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think at the bare minimum, we need to be able to choose what components to install to save space on SSD's. I almost never install VB.NET or c++ (btw this is HUGE), since i do not develop using them. I think all the different types of developments need to be selectable to minimize the installation and bloat on Visual Studio. Components should be addable later if the requirement rises,

• Todd SmithTodd Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Myself and all of the guys on my team really want to have at a minimum, the options of VS 10. Sure, disk space is fairly cheap, but the point for us is this: not taking all afternoon to install, and taking it easy on the SSD's we have.

It always gets me when MS says they took something away because they felt not many used it (such a positive spin on it). Why not just leave it??? Is it really that much effort to giving customers a decent installer??

I've also left a comment on the suggestion for adding even more customization than VS 10 had....I mean the list of stuff in the Control Panel/Programs list is bewildering.

• Jason GaylordJason Gaylord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@jurmerian - I know that I always check to provide feedback. But I feel that I'm a power user and generally install more than most.

@Pure Krome - Install the Express versions for the ultra-light feeling. That's not the intent of this item either.

• ntspecntspec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm assuming this was just for the beta.
        Let us know when customization is ready,
        I'll look at it again then.

M. Henley

• lenielleniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's totally a waste of space having all that C++ stuff, SQL Server, etc that I really won't use. I just install C# and WebDev tools. Therefore, the need for customization is apparent. If I ever need it I'd go to the installation setup again and select it at a later time...

• André ZieglerAndré Ziegler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I ALWAYS customize Setup for ALL products. If I can't customize VS11 I'll never use it. I don't install 10GB if I only need some functions.

• JakeJake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never once done a complete install and I have never once checked the 'send feedback to MS' option. I only ever install C# and web dev tools. I don't want to install anything else. It seems silly to base all your decisions on a checkbox that most people don't use. It reminds me of the IE9 decision to place the tabs next to the address bar because "most" people don't have more than 3 tabs open.

• Jeremy HutchinsonJeremy Hutchinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Things that installed that I do use (and if I start to use I expect to have to update my install): C++, F# and LightSwitch.

I'm sure there are other options I chose not to install in VS2010. Disk is cheap and I have plenty of space for VS2008, VS2010 and VS11 on my little SSD, but I did have to go on a cleanup mission before I could start the install...

• Scott SalyerScott Salyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in this boat. When I installed the beta on my primary SSD (where disk space is costly), it was 9.7GB of which a large portion was likely C++ which isn't something I even use. I don't want to waste XGB of SSD space on something I'll never use.

Feedback and Knowledge Base