I suggest you ...

Add web deployment projects to VS11

I've only spent 5mins in VS11 so far, but it seems like Website Application projects addon from (2005/2008/2010 has been integrated). However Website Deployment projects don't seem to be. It would be nice for these to finally get some official attention.

333 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tim HallTim Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • eileringeilering commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 2010 I had one dll with a fixed name. Each aspx had this name in the header. I could rebuild the code and just copy the dll to my provider.

Now I have a whole bunch of dll's and do not not know which one to copy. Is there a strict relation between the dll's and aspx? Do I also have to upload the aspx again?

I will stay with 2010.

• Sayed Ibrahim HashimiSayed Ibrahim Hashimi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a follow up here I realize that there is not a straight "upgrade" process for WDP to the new publish profiles but the

transition should be pretty simple.

In my previous comment I have included my email (sayedha[at]{Microsoft DOT com), but have not heard from anyone regarding how

they are blocked because of the lack of WDP in VS2012.

I understand that it can be frustrating when things change but I want you all to know that we are doing those changes with the

best intentions.

In VS2010 we had the following web publish feature areas:
        1. Web app project publishing with the publish dialog
        2. Web app publishing with WDP
        3. Web site publishing with the legacy dialog
        4. Web site publishing with WDP

We are trying to unify this so that we have one solution across both Web app projects and Web site projects. By doing that we

can deliver features to you more quickly (we only have to maintain a single code base) and we can provide a consistent experience for all scenarios.

If you simply need to publish to a local folder, you can create a new File System publish profile.

My goal is not to get rid of WDP, but we cannot afford to have seperate publish piepelines. The cost of updating WDP for 2012 is not trivial. In fact it is a large investment, and that doesn't include porting all the new publish features to WDP. If we were to have updated WDP for 2012 we would have had to sacrafice large features for this.

If you are blocked on the lack of WDP in 2012 please email me and let me know the details. If we are missing then we will certainly address it. The publishing support is now out of band so we can update it as necessary.

• Bill GattesBill Gattes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here:
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11229582/will-web-deployment-projects-still-be-available-in-visual-studio-2012

talk directly to the geniuses. Don't be shy and express your feelings for this great innovation.

We are sticking with vs2010.
        (Btw the web editor hangs every 2 minutes and loses text on formatting.)

Really great work for such a large company. And we are also wasting our effor defending msft ...

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new deployment process described by Sayed Hashimi does not provide an upgrade path for those currently using web deployment projects.

They also do not work well at all when you just need to spit out files for an installer to collect and package. Not everyone wants to automatically deploy to target every time they build.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to move straight up to VS11 but with so much invested in WDP customisations it makes it a big deal for us.

• JohanJohan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical Microsoft, add functionality and then when a lot of people is using it, simply take it away!

• Ricardo PeresRicardo Peres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing is certain: the option must be made available, either as integrated or as an addin, otherwise, lots of solutions will break.

Feedback and Knowledge Base