I suggest you ...

Visual Studio 11 Express on Windows 7 and the ability to write non Metro C++ applications in it.

With the release of Visual Studio 11 Beta there are currently two versions of Visual Studio Express, Visual Studio Express for Web and Visual Studio Express for Windows 8.
There is no version of Express which can be used for regular Windows applications available for Windows 7. Even the Express for Windows 8 version forces Metro, especially on C++.
You can't expect people who would like to use this version of Express to just go out and buy Windows 8 to use Express when it is released as RTM, or for people on Windows 7 to buy one of the greater versions of Visual Studio. Even the current layout you are expecting that people who want to use Express for applications other than Metro will either have to use the command line tools or be forced to buy one of the greater versions. This is a loss of functionality compared to earlier versions of Express.
So please allow Visual Studio 11 Express to be installable on Windows 7 and allow non Metro applications on Windows 8.

2,547 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Crescens2kCrescens2k shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    WellingtonWellington shared a merged idea: Return the support for older windows and regular desktop applications to Visual Studio Express.  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

UPDATE: This SKU is now available for download – details here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/09/12/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop-is-here.aspx

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. As you may have seen, we will plan to release a Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows desktop this Fall. Full details are here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/06/08/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop.aspx

Thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

PS – I’m going to go ahead and close this item out and release your UserVoice votes back so you can apply them elsewhere.

70 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CALCAL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support people pleasing projects in the good ole U.S.A..tyvm

• Semi EssessiSemi Essessi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used 3 votes on this. Visual Studio Express 2010 is brilliant - removing its power won't benefit MS in anyway - it certainly won't encourage Metro style app development.

• ITMAGEITMAGE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By not allowing VS 2012 Express to target the non-metro UI, Microsoft will lose many of the very people their looking to gain: New developers on other platforms and startup software companies who have little money to purchase VS licenses. So these people will go with Monodevelop or something and start the trek down open source. Bad move Microsoft.

• Lars KemmannLars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crying shame.

Dear MS, please remember how most of us got started programming for Windows in the first place - through the free tools that you use to woo "Developers, developers, developers!"

You're a platform company, for crying out loud, not a developer tools company! You *ought* to know better than this.

I feel terrible for the wonderful projects out there - Blender, GIMP, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, Mozilla, Lightworks, Notepad++, Apache, just to name a few - all of which stand to lose significantly with this move.

Will someone higher up the food chain (looking at you, ScottGu & Soma) please review Noah Coad's interview on Channel9: http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Dan/Noah-Coad-An-Overview-of-Visual-Studio-Express-2010

Now tell us again how (as someone aptly described it) "gutting" the Express Editions is in line with your corporate business model?

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep Windows as the premier development platform!

An operating system is nothing without active developers, and removing the option to build Windows Forms/WPF applications is a mistake.

Making it difficult for new programmers to learn the Windows platform will only hurt us all in the long run.

• Dominik Dominik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bad news if there were no Visual C++ Express 11 for desktop applications... A fall back using visual c++ 2010 express with no implementations of the new standards would be very bad. So only way is to switch to GCC/MingW or choose another OS like Linux, where the most can be gotten for free... I would like to stay at windows OS, but I don't want to develop Metro Style Apps. Forcing (hobby)developers to only develop metro style applications with a new express editions is not very funny...

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just checked this uservoice item again and it seems a few hundred votes have been cut off recently. I recall seeing the number of votes being > 2000 several days ago.

• hmmmhmmm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Windows 8 SDK contain desktop-app-capable C# compilers? If so it's unfair compared to C++.

• Crescens2kCrescens2k commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@AndrewJE
        Could you imagine Visual Studio as a metro application? Could you imagine Microsoft Office as a metro application? The UI for both of these are way to complicated. None of the applications that I work on can use metro either. One of them is console and the others have non trivial UIs. So for me, the desktop is the future.

• Patrick HalliseyPatrick Hallisey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@AndrewJE - Metro is only the future of Windows UI development. Do you believe that all development is UI related?

• AndrewJEAndrewJE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you just use VS 2010 Express - It is still free and available. People Metro is the future.

• Jon BreenJon Breen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't the best move to support OSS which we all depend upon, I can foresee this being a hurdle to many ubiquitous projects which will hurt me as a .Net developer. I can understand how this could be remedied for the large projects like Mozilla but how could you extend that to one-man-shops or to truly disparate teams? I don't like this decision as it will have a negative impact other than to Metro apps.

• jalfjalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, with the compiler *simultaneously* being removed from the SDK, we effectively have to pay $500 and install Visual Studio *just to get a build server running*.

We can safely assume that free/open-source libraries will not have ready-to-use VS11 solutions, meaning that if we want to use them, we have to waste time porting it ourselves.

And of course, the barrier for anyone learning programming on Windows just got raised a lot. I can't blame a newbie programmer if he decides that it's simpler to just use GCC.

And this from the only company which charges money for its dev tools in the first place. I don't have to pay to make Linux or OSX better by providing valuable software. But I have to pay Microsoft for the privilege of writing software that will make their OS more useful.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base