I suggest you ...

Visual Studio 11 Express on Windows 7 and the ability to write non Metro C++ applications in it.

With the release of Visual Studio 11 Beta there are currently two versions of Visual Studio Express, Visual Studio Express for Web and Visual Studio Express for Windows 8.
There is no version of Express which can be used for regular Windows applications available for Windows 7. Even the Express for Windows 8 version forces Metro, especially on C++.
You can't expect people who would like to use this version of Express to just go out and buy Windows 8 to use Express when it is released as RTM, or for people on Windows 7 to buy one of the greater versions of Visual Studio. Even the current layout you are expecting that people who want to use Express for applications other than Metro will either have to use the command line tools or be forced to buy one of the greater versions. This is a loss of functionality compared to earlier versions of Express.
So please allow Visual Studio 11 Express to be installable on Windows 7 and allow non Metro applications on Windows 8.

2,547 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Crescens2kCrescens2k shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    WellingtonWellington shared a merged idea: Return the support for older windows and regular desktop applications to Visual Studio Express.  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

UPDATE: This SKU is now available for download – details here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/09/12/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop-is-here.aspx

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. As you may have seen, we will plan to release a Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows desktop this Fall. Full details are here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/06/08/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop.aspx

Thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

PS – I’m going to go ahead and close this item out and release your UserVoice votes back so you can apply them elsewhere.

70 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AzarienAzarien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is much more important than Windows XP targeting or the GUI theme. Please release Visual C# and C++ Express Editions.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>Windows 8 is a pleasure for tablets, but a nightmare for desktops. Windows 8 is just Microsoft's
        >desperate way to penetrate the tablet industry. C++ is the greatest language of all. it is still the
        >fastest .. Windows 8 should support more of C++.

Assembly is faster fail...
        Enough sucking C++'s ***** :D

• HaierLuoHaierLuo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope Visual Studio 11 Express will support WinForm and Win32 application development!

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this. In fact I thought for sure that the Consumer Preview VS11 Express versions were just temporarily not supporting desktop, and the final ones were going to for sure. It would be suicide for Microsoft to decide that the only version of VC11 Express RTM that will ever be available will not support regular desktop app development and won't support older platforms (such as Vista and 7).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 8 is a pleasure for tablets, but a nightmare for desktops. Windows 8 is just Microsoft's desperate way to penetrate the tablet industry. C++ is the greatest language of all. it is still the fastest .. Windows 8 should support more of C++.

• ddbugddbug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well if writing in C++ is such a pleasure - pay for it. The rest of C++ lovers will use Eclipse CDT with the GNU compiler... and then maybe dump any WIndows as well.

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base