I suggest you ...

Add more filtering options in solution explorer search

In big solutions it's very common to have files with the same name under different projects. With the current solution explorer search you can only search for the filename and it shows all the matching files in all projects. It's not very easy to find the file you're looking for when there are a lot of files with the same name in the search results.

I suggest you add some options so that users can search for filenames and project names at the same time. For example let's say I have 15 unit test projects and all of them have a file named test.cpp. I want to open the one that is under project UnitTest9. Right now when I search for test.cpp it shows all the 15 files which is not very helpful.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AliAli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SarangAgreSarangAgre shared a merged idea: Provide filtering in Solution Explorer  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. With hundreds of projects, quite often I only want to find a project name to drill down. The current search yields yields too many results - and sucks!!

• DaverDaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I constantly use Find in Files. I wish it had the ability to allow me to manage the history of my searches. Sometimes I have typos I'd like to remove. I'd also like to categorize/group my searches so I can figure out what I'm looking for without memorizing everything. When you think about it, the reason I'm searching is because I don't know where something is. I'm not searching for something because I know where something is. It's a catch 22, because in order to search for something, you have to know of it's existence... We need to have a breadcrumb trail of searches to help us figure out where dozens of searches are. Hopefully some future version of the new Solution Explorer will allow us to delete history items, sort the searches, categorize/group them, colorize keywords using wildcards/regex patterns, etc.

I constantly use Find in Files. I wish it had the ability to allow me to manage the history of my searches. Sometimes I have typos I'd like to remove. I'd also like to categorize/group my searches so I can figure out what I'm looking for without memorizing everything. When you think about it, the reason I'm searching is because I don't know where something is. I'm not searching for something because I know where something is. It's a catch 22, because in order to search for something, you have to know of it's existence... We need to have a breadcrumb trail of searches to help us figure out where dozens of searches are. Hopefully some future version of the new Solution Explorer will allow us to delete history items, sort the searches, categorize/group them, colorize keywords using wildcards/regex patterns, etc.

Yes, it would help reduce the false positive and mass of unneeded results.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution Navigator is awesome example of how to do this. It just needs to be faster and have indexes on the files. It's not like we are adding 100s of files per second so it shouldn't be bad to index.

Feedback and Knowledge Base