I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,570 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

609 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrzej WłoszczyńskiAndrzej Włoszczyński commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Decisions made based on statistics (telemetry) are often stupid. I'm 50 years old and I have never used airbag in my car. Does that mean that airbags should be removed from all cars? Please add Ctrl-Shift-R / Ctrl-Shift-P (record/play macro) functionality.

• Nathan PetersonNathan Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The removal of this feature is a perfect example of how Microsoft has lost its way. It reflects how out of touch it is with its customers. I have continued to use Visual Studio 2010 because of this and in some ways have been driven away from the Microsoft stack. Check out Sublime Text.

VS2010 was probably the last (and best) usable version of Visual Studio. The entire wave of products that came after this release (VS2012, Windows8, Office 2013, and above) were worse than their predecessors. If possible, I use VS2010, Windows 7, and Office 2010. The last, good wave of Microsoft products. What happened? Did all the good people go to Google?

• SagianSagian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used macros extensively. Bring macros back or we will have to roll-back to VS 2010.

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My C# macros, to automate Visual Studio 2013:

Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM

Yes, I had to rewrite my VS_2010 macros;
        but it's nice to have them in C# now,
        instead of "Visual Basic for Applications".

Also, now I can write extensions too.
        Overall, it's been a wonderful improvement.

• Dejan SeatovicDejan Seatovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsofts
        I'm using visual studio since version 6. I have maintained and extended my macros for now almost 20 years. Now we have switched from 2010 to 2013 version, and the bat ("NO MACROS" WRITTEN ALL OVER) has hit me with such force that I almost lost my self.
        All documentation macros, debug directory assignment, adding and removing libraries (PCL, OpenCV, MATLAB, etc.), automation stuff and I really don't even know how many others are gone, forever. Useless!
        Guys, bring me my macros back. I was most productive using VS since ever, now I'm just a shadow of my self... Like Usain Bolt that has discovered that he has to run finals on Olympics with Ski-Boots his feet instead of spikes. Imagine that!
        PLEASE bring them back.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide a way to migrate existing VS 2008/2010 macros to VS 2012/2013/2015. We should not have to redesign dozens of existing/tested macros just because a new version of VS has been released.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>The combination of Ctrl-Shift-R / Ctrl-Shift-P (record/play macro) was one of the most
        >productive features of old-day Visual Studio that give me ability to repeat
        >monotonic operations from keyboard. Please return it back
        Yes, I totally aggree.
        BRING IT BACK!!!

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The combination of Ctrl-Shift-R / Ctrl-Shift-P (record/play macro) was one of the most productive features of old-day Visual Studio that give me ability to repeat monotonic operations from keyboard. Please return it back

• helmethelmet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For macros I stiil use the VS6, best VS macro editor forever ... never hangs
        Please bring back this feature for non web developers (e,g embedded developement)

Please bring it back! I often used Visual Studio keyboard macros (one in particular) dozens of times in a day, especially for variable generation. Removal of macro support is a very annoying inconvenience.

Please bring it back ASAP. Keyboard record/playback feature is such an important tool for most of us when doing refactoring. Currently I'm forced to use Notepad++ for this.

• Paul McCarthyPaul McCarthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most common things put in a comment in code is the current date.
        Without macros I have to enter the date manually.
        The really annoying part is that the list of macros still shows. So it has not been removed but nothing happens when one attempts to run it. No matter what spin your PR department puts on it, THIS IS A BUG.

Maybe those 1% are your most productive users.

Actually, I only use macros for one thing: to replace a feature removed from yet another version of Visual Studio, namely the option to stop compìlation projects once one project has failed. If Microsoft had left that as an option, I wouldn't need to resort to macros.

Of all the user bases, surely developers are least likely to respond to well to this "Daddy knows best" attitude?

• Phil RogersPhil Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No macros? Less than 1% use them? Well if nobody used them, that's ok, but I'm sure 1% is still a significant number. And those who use them probably use them a lot. Maybe the other 99% simply don't know about them.
        They worked, so why drop them? Leave them in for us enlightened few.

• Michael RubinsteinMichael Rubinstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What were you thinking? I'm just switching from 2010 to 2015. I can, sort of, understand that you left it out in 2012. But I'm amazed that you haven't put it back in yet. Don't you folks write any code?

• PJTraillPJTraill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: MarkieMacro commented · April 21, 2015 5:33 AM

¿Surely you can use Tools–Customise–Keyboard for a shortcut to show/hide line numbers?
        Macros are needed when your commands include (specific cases of) variable arguments.

• MarkieMacroMarkieMacro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to add a keyboard shortcut for show/hide line numbers... I need a macro for this =(

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

Feedback and Knowledge Base