I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

4,840 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

536 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VladimirVladimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macros were invaluable. Record/playback and simple automation were extremely useful. I believe that average developers were not aware of their existence, otherwise macros would show much better usage statistics.

• Alan BatesAlan Bates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why the feature was just completely dropped. An adamant but small-ish developer community with disproportionate support costs borne by the vendor? The macro IDE seems like it was a perfect candidate to be tossed to codeplex.

I understand that there was a large maintenance cost for updating the IDE to work with each new VS flagship release...but couldn't it have alternatively been declared an End of Life product, Visual Studio would maintain the capabiliy to run generated macros, but the validity of those macros would no longer be validated by the Visual Studio team?

...mad that they're gone (I hated writing them in VB but you could create a lot of useful, private, ad hoc extensions with them) but hopeful that they'll be back.

• Marc-Antoine ProulxMarc-Antoine Proulx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring the Macros back. I just don't understand how somebody came to the conclusion that they needed to be removed. I don't use them that often, but it's very useful when I do.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring Macros back in VS2013. Just for simple text editing would be sufficient for me.

• RodRod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use them often. Please bring them back. Every thing else about this IDE blows the competition out of the water. Give me my macros back!

• Howard BergHoward Berg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LightSwitch is rapidly becoming mature, but in the meantime, I prefer to automate creating/updating screens (e.g. loop for each table/screen) vs one at a time. Like always, I would use a macro to learn the API calls required to do a task, and then write the macro to do the work.

Macro has alwas been an extremly useful and powerful text-editing feature, I wonder who ad whay had the idea to remove them ? I want to have it back !

• EnriqueEnrique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrified to see that macros were gone! I used it almost every day... Luckily, some guy on the web provided an extension... but hopefully, MS will bring this one back.

I just cannot understand what MS was thinking about... Too bad too many frustrated programmers won't see this link here, to express their own frustrations...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just upgraded from VS2008 to VS2013. Missing at least two features:
        - Macros were used daily.
        - Find Symbol.
        Definitely need them back.

• Jim NicholsJim Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macros were a huge part of my development process. The ability to not only record a macro but create a toolbar button for it aided me EVERY DAY!!!! Macros should be just as much of a part of Visual Studio as they are in Office.

I've read that Microsoft removed Macros from Visual Studio, because their statistics showed that it was not an oft used feature. I can tell you, I did not use it often myself, but when I did find a need for it, it made a HUGE impact and cut my work load down by many times.

Because a feature is not often used does not equate to its importance.

How about making Python the Scripting language of VS :D It'd be good for these vb script guys to learn something new ;)

• Toby SharpToby Sharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A very very useful subset of macro functionality would be a simple record & playback function for repeated keystrokes. This might not require full scripting.

• Ramesh KadambiRamesh Kadambi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this was the dumbest idea by Microsoft Visual Studio Team. I have a whole suite of tools that facilitate commenting code and generating documentation written as macros which are unusable in visual studio 2013. Please put it back.

• WaldoWaldo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to request that you PLEASE provide macro capability in VS. I am converting legacy VB6 code (finally!) to VB.net, and really need this functionality. Meanwhile, I will be forced to cut/paste into Word to use Word macros to help me out. Tragedy given the world class IDE provided in VS 2013.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Feedback and Knowledge Base