I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,055 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

559 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I quicly attach to a Windows Service without the macro feature? The macro feature is pretty much impossible to live without if all your programming is being done as Windows Services...
        I now have to attach manually. It takes a few seconds give and take, but I might miss out important exceptions... my ugly work around is to delay the service thread for like 15 seconds to make sure I have attached the debugger.

A click on a macro is way easier than combined mouse and keyboard operations.

I basically thought the world was heading aginst simplicity and batching jobs... why o' why have you removed the macro feature?

• Adam StechschulteAdam Stechschulte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In VS2010 I had a macro that would interact with currently open files (searching for specific text), then copy the currently open files to another location. It was very useful and saved me tons of time poking around the file system copying files.

• JPJP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't over think it. Just make CTRL+SHFT+R and CTLR+SHFT+P work again, like good editors have been doing for decades.

This isn't a feature that needs the full Visual Studio treatment, it's just a core editor feature.
        If you're not sure what that mean's just find a copy of CodeWright or SlickEdit from about 20 years ago, see what they do for keyboard macro recording, and do that.

• PDuerigPDuerig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need the macros also. This is awful that a "world class" IDE cant maintain back compatibility to a feature that it admits "less than 1% use. How much less than 1%? Since they say it that way, it must be about 1%. All that is required is back compatibility. Extensions that only do the text are so simple as to be worthless.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally got confused when Ctrl+Shift+R didn't do anything. I thought my keyboard got broken or something. I'm totally missing the ability to record and playback a temporary macro within the code editor...

• Igor ProlisIgor Prolis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In VS2010 I used a Macro to attach to a definite process, now in VS2013 I waste time to find the process and attach manualy. Please bring back Macros!

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ErikEJ, Microsoft’s latest macro incarnation has serveral flaws:

#1, I need to assign more than 9 macros.

#2, It’s a poor rip-off of Visual Commander, to wit:

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM

#3, I love having all my macros and extensions in a single text file, to wit:

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Snippets.TXT

#4, When assigning macros to toolbar buttons and key strokes,
        you should see the -name- of the macro, not its number.

By the way, @Steve is right about the 1% creating 99% of the apps.

Microsoft doesn't measure that, but it should.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read that Macros were removed from VS2012 because only 1% of VS users actually used the macro facility. However, 90% of the real code in the world is written by those 1% of VS users.
        Anyone who does real coding, could not possibly write a serious amount of code without macros. So can I compel you to raise the importance of macros. Along with intellisense and debugging they are the single most important feature of VS. After all, VS is just a line editor with convenient plugins to pull together other useful utilities to check you have WRITTEN your source code correctly and efficiently.
        I have been using VS everyday since it was invented and programming for well over 30 years and use Macros on and off every single day for something.

• Eric OuelletEric Ouellet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With roslyn, you could easily create a macro editor that would compile and run similarly as is was interpreted... I do it actually in my own project! I think Microsoft should know how to do it ;-) !!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please! I need a way for my team to perform resharper code cleanup on file save.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28

Feedback and Knowledge Base