I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

4,015 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

467 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous CowardAnonymous Coward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever executive decided that Visual Studio macros weren't used and that Visual Studio extensions are a perfectly fine substitute needs to be fired.

Don't worry! That person will be quickly hired, fit right in, and have a long, happy career at Initech or Veridian Dynamics or Uranus Corporation or working with the pointy-haired boss.

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use keystroke record/playback too often to give it up. There's nothing better for repetitive tasks. If I can find a decent free editor with record/playback, I may upgrade to later VS and use the 2nd editor when needed. More likely, I'll just continue using VS2010 until you restore simple key record/playback.

By the way, VS2010 introduced an subtle bug in record/playback. It doesn't handle "home" keys right or something similar. The result is that I always had to work around the issue with different key techniques. Still far better than no record/playback!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't do it in a future version - give us an add-in!
        I should have stayed with VS2010 the upgrade to 2013 came with no macros, all my setup projects are now incompatible and regtlbv12 is gone what other improvements can I expect?

• shimmyshimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If not macros, at least an appropriate way to make up commands by script or other way, but there has to be a way to do some automation.

• Christian LafranceChristian Lafrance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the **** is this thing of removing macro support in VS2012/2013??? Yes, the IDE does already alot, but not all and especially those specific things that can make ME save so much time. Thanks for bringing it back!!!

• samsam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the simple record/playback ALL the time and would love to see the feature return. If not that, allow an option to open the code up into Notepad++

• Glauco BasilioGlauco Basilio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to use macros combined with custom shortcuts to turn my envoriment more "keyboard" friendly, once i suffer of mouse pain. Now my macros became obsoletes

• GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use it often for some comments editing, and found it inefficiency to do it with VS2013.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS2013, I went to look for the record/playback macros feature to make some repetitive code changes, and it wasn't there!!

Give us back the record/playback capability for simple text processing tasks!

• Carey TamCarey Tam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Man, Microsoft has to place this back...Like new versions of visual studio is suppose to contain all the old features plus new ones. How can you take a feature out like this? And this feature is one of the most important ones too.

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sam Seigel... Microsoft's decision makers
        never write code and they don't care about
        those who do, not even those at Microsoft.

Instead, they use a confused ballot
        -- ignorant voting -- ignorant voters/admins.

My C# macros automate Visual Studio 2013:
        http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM

• Sam SeigelSam Seigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is BS. So out of touch with programming community! What IDE do you guys at microsoft use!! Cant be a visual studio without macros.

put macros back in. moved from 2010 to 2013....and no macros....how can such a decision be made? certainly not by someone who uses it frequently to maintain code....

Please - please - please, do this. I tis crazy to have to use Notepad++ just to do macros...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base