I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,304 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

585 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Arnaud PAULArnaud PAUL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 1% of users that use this features is false.
        Many dev uncheck the mark ""send anonymous usage statistics to help better MS products.".
        It not because you don't see usage that mean that we don't use them..
        Bring back the Macros please.
        My producivity is 10% less that with an older version of Visual.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Record + Playback makes me 10x more productive. I've kept VS2012 only to be able to run macros, I'm usually in favor for removing cruft and seldom used features, but removing macros is CRAZY when other much simpler editors have it as a well supported feature. The scripting language should of course be Powershell, not VBA, not Python, maybe C#. You should have kept VBA until Powershell was integreated.

• Michael EngshunMichael Engshun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if the users were weighted (i.e., are the 1% writing a much larger percentage of code than the 99%)..
        Regardless, almost ANY text-based editor needs a good macro feature set.

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to copy other non .net files into studio when I needed to do complex text transformations. Please bring macros back

• Ákos TomposÁkos Tompos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have created a couple of useful actions consisting of multiple moves (like copying the word under the cursor to clipboard) and assigned them to a single keypress. I want my speedy shortcuts back! Anyway %1 of Visual Studio user base is still a huge number! Just count how many licenses did you sell!

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should stop being so democratic.
        The 1% who use macros write most of the best code.

Thanks to "Visual Commander", I've written extensions
        for Visual Studio 2013 and I've assigned about 80 macros
        to toolbar buttons and key strokes.

For the details, see: http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The scripting engine should have a preview option to make sure the script will do what you expect.

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would prefer the scripting language to be based on python. It should have complete control of the cursor as far as placement and text selection, and make it easy to replace/insert text as desired.
        I mostly used macros for simple formatting changes.

Example macro keystrokes
        [Home] -> [Ctrl-Shift-RightArrow x 2] -> [Delete] -> [End] -> [Ctrl-Shift-LeftArrow x 2] -> [Type Some New Code] -> [DownArrow]

If you could make that easy to write in your scripting engine consider me on board.

• Alexey ShcherbachevAlexey Shcherbachev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring Macros back. I've been using macros for many text transformation tasks as well as some IDE related repetitive task, such as attach to a specific w3wp process running locally for debugging.

• Keith ThorneKeith Thorne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a number of macros for attaching to processes assigned to buttons, to debug all I had to do was click the button (or key). I have to do this over and over so what do I do now? I had also used them to plug gaps in features that eventually were made available but until then I had a way to automate. Please bring them back.

• Igor SapozhnikovIgor Sapozhnikov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tend to re-use some of the find and replace patterns. It would be nice to be able to save the Find and Replace dialog state for fast recall, or assign a keyboard shortcut to perform a specific find and replace operation quickly.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30

Feedback and Knowledge Base