I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,776 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

Hello Macros Supporters,

I wanted to share an extension that the Visual Studio team released on the Visual Studio Gallery that you may not have seen that brings back some of the macros support that you might be missing.

Download and try it via:
    1. The Visual Studio Gallery: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/d3fbf133-e51b-41a2-b86f-9560a96ff62b
    2. Or get it in Visual Studio via: Tools > Extensions and Updates… then search for “Macros for Visual Studio 2013”

If you find this extension useful or have suggestions/ideas on how we could improve it, please leave comments on the Gallery page (under the Reviews section).

Cathy Sullivan
    Visual Studio IDE Team

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Douglas HoltDouglas Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just completed the "Visual Studio Macros Survey" and after an hour of writing detailed answers, I tried to submit the survey, and I get "Cannot navigate forward. Interview status is not completed.". Yes, I've checked that every element of the survey had been filled in, several times, and even re-checked each option and ensured there was text in every box. No luck. Frustrating!

• Michael KosakMichael Kosak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How could Microsoft be SO STUPID as to remove one of the most useful source code editor features?????

I must use this 100 times a day.

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@cpmcgrath, Microsoft's
        "Macros for Visual Studio 2013"
        has been around for awhile now.

Apparently, it's a cheap, janky, JavaScript
        version of Sergey Vlasov's "Visual Commander".

I describe "Visual Commander" here:

• Visual SmarterVisual Smarter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Smarter has a lot of tools for Visual Studio. It's worth of a try:

• cpmcgrathcpmcgrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, as the creator of this issue, if this can be updated to support VS2015, I'm happy for this issue to be marked as Complete.

• cpmcgrathcpmcgrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for letting us know about that Cathy, glad Microsoft has listened. Looking forward to see it be updated for VS2015.

Any chance it can become open source? I'm sure the community would love to help you guys add new features to it.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks for bringing this back - i'm gonna be so productive again!

• a programmera programmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the information ... but ...
        What's about VS 2015?
        Does this tool work with no problems together with other tools like ReSharper?

• ChristianChristian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The macros as they were in VS2010 were perfect, so you could program simple extensions.
        All the old macros stopped working in VS2012 when it was removed.
        Therefor we keep a VS2010 copy to run the macros, since migrating the macros to a VS Plug-In seems to be to complicated/time-consuming.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removing features like this after supporting them for so many
        years begs the question: does Microsoft intend to remove any
        more features in future versions of Visual Studio?
        Suddenly the VS platform doesn't seem so attractive any more...

• a programmera programmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should implement an EASY solution, nothing which is, typically for Microsoft, much too complex and complicated.
        In my former programmer's editor you press Ctrl-M, make some edits, and press Ctrl-M. A macro has been recorded and is replayed each time I press Alt-L. It's not necessary to go throug some Dialogs for this, and all can be done with the keyboard. Absolutey great.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

Feedback and Knowledge Base