I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

4,455 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

512 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Serious veteran coders use macros to do amazing things. If they aren't used it is because most people don't know about them, but the tremendous benefit to those of us who do cannot be ignored. Why take out something that was already written. Even if you remove the GUI for editing, why remove the record/replay feature? Simple record/replay gives me 98% of everything I ever used keystroke macros for

The macro record-keystrokes and playback are an invaluable time-saver in special editing situations.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, bring it back. Special the record and play function.
        1% procent uses macros that means 99% does not now what they are missing.

• Bob RiddleBob Riddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vote, too, please for bringing back macros. I use them for adding specialty property scaffolding, comment formatting, re-factoring long source lines, etc. As one of the other posters below here said, I am very skeptical of the idea that only 1% of VS developers use them. Virtually all of the hard-core developers I know keep their own libraries. (BTW, I never click on the "Tell Microsoft - or any other vendor" boxes. I don't want the precedent of my tools phoning home on their own).

• BurtrolaBurtrola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of people at Microsoft are 1%. Should we get rid of them also? (hah! Couldn't resist.)

• BurtrolaBurtrola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Please bring them back. It doesn't matter that supposedly "only 1%" of users employ them. I think you mean only 1% of users that click that little "tell microsoft" box use them. I don;t use macros all the time but have relied on them since VC6. Bad call all around. There are hundreds of great features in VS that only get used occasionally. Are all of them now candidates for the axe because you have some Product Manager with access to some user data? Fail. Fail. Fail.

I just cannot believe that Macros were removed. Pleas bring them back. I especially used record quick macro (and play) -features.

Please, provide a quick way to record and redo things like Macros, we were using it alot to do routine job on many lines for example.

• Jitendra LohiyaJitendra Lohiya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was not using macros, but when i got to know that we can do Automation inside VS IDE. i searched for macros and i work on both VS10 and VS13 and guess guys, both of them doesn't have feature like Macro(VS10 had feature but it got depreciated few months back)

• PankajPankaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if only 1% (I highly doubt it) users are using a feature, still that translates to hundred of thousands of programmers. How can you ignore that many programmers.

• Andrew MyersAndrew Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Web Development creating a macro to attach to w3wp.exe with a key stroke is very useful. Sure I only code a macro every once in a while, but once it is created I use that macro often. I was surprised that macro's were removed from VS 2013. I just upgraded from VS 2010.

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unlike MicroSoft, sane developers know
        that intelligent comments, from users,
        matters most, not "usage statistics".

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26

Feedback and Knowledge Base