I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

4,444 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

512 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jim Stringer, Microsoft hobbled the desktop
        to "win" the phone market.

Google Android is Java⋅on⋅Linux, not Gnu⋅on⋅Linux.
        Like C#/EnvDTE, Java is a virtual Operating System.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnvDTE

Google Chrome and FireFox are also (semi)OS'en.
        So it's The Battle of the Virtual Machines, I guess.

Starting with Visual Studio 2012,
        they changed the way EnvDTE worked
        and junked the macro⋅editor.

Microsoft continues to lose billion$$ each year
        on this -- a triumph of hope over reason.

• Jim StringerJim Stringer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like I'm not alone... Visual Studio 2013 is unusable to me without macros!!! Who on earth made this decision? The same guy that removed the "Start" button from Windows 8?

• Mecu SorinMecu Sorin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Play/record macro feature is a paramount for any developer that is having a solution with more than 1000 lines of real code.

• CraigCraig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There were times that I would fire up the Delphi IDE - just to use its Macro functionality!
        When I discovered they were also available in VS2010, I was a very happy developer.
        Conversely, discovering they have been removed!?!?! .... I'm flabbergasted! I'm at a loss for words!

Side note: I never send usage data because the **absolute last** thing I want is: Yet Another Background Process Choosing Inappropriate Times To Hog Resources! (There's far tooooooo much of that kind of poorly written background services in the OS already.)

@Rainer, I had the exact same problem as you.

For me, <Sergey Vlasov's Visual Commander, Professional Edition>[*]
        solves this "missing macros" problem.
        [ *: http://vlasovstudio.com/visual-commander/professional_edition.html ]

It lets me assign up to 99 macros to keys/buttons;
        without that, I simply could -not- use Visual Studio 2013.
        For more details, see: http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM

If you need more than 99 macros, just ask Sergey Vlasov; see:
        http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/deda8ac1-75e6-4068-89ab-b607cee38f2d

You'll have to rewrite some of your macros.
        I converted my VBA macros to C#.

• RainerRainer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am checking out VS2013 for the first time and I just was looking for the macro IDE in order to import my hundreds of macros out of VS2005 and VS2010.
        After googling a while I read the shocking news: You have stopped supporting macros from VS2012 on !?!?!?!?!
        Are you crazy ?
        For me, this is an absolute NOGO !!
        In my company we are building and changing solutions with VB macros.
        What an insane and stupid decision.
        Surely made by one of these ******* managers who has never spend one second developing any software.
        I am really ****** about this :-(((

• CésarCésar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's nothing to research about the suggestion, people!! JUST BRING THE FREAKING MACROS BACK!
        Plain and simple! The old functionality needs to be restored ENTIRELY! Not a scripting, not anything else, just the very same functionality!

• jim spriggsjim spriggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just moved from VS6 to VS2012.
        Like many others here, I have been using the keyboard macro feature of various editors "forever", in my case at least 30 years, and depend on them for efficiency.
        I am appalled by your decision to drop keyboard macros from what is otherwise a very good IDE.
        Thanks in advance for re-instating the functionality very soon indeed!

• ChadChad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is just allowing themselves to get further and further behind the curve in the developer arms race. By removing macros it's just another reason to look for another IDE. In 3 years I doubt I'll even be using Visual Studio... it's a shame.

• Cynical CoderCynical Coder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wanted to add to the chorus of people asking for this back. I found out they were missing a while back - after telling my team how great Visual Studio macros were, how I was going to use them to help our team move forward only luckily to find out they were gone the same day I first installed VS 2013. We were on 2010 at the time. I almost threw several weeks of effort down the tubes or worse, found another reason not to move forward to 2013. The lack of TFS 2007 support was another factor btw. The problem with the way MS is moving is that by forcing these dependencies on newer products, smaller projects like moving to 2013 quickly become larger projects. I have yet to be on a team that could afford to be on large projects that weren't development related. So now, we have to get ramped up (install, test, train) on new source control before we can move. Nice!

• Jens OdborgJens Odborg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mostly used macro recording to make button for repeated debugger/attach senarios so for me an alternative could be an easy way to repeat last attach

• Martin NohrMartin Nohr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I frequently used the keyboard macros, but I also confess that I never checked the box to send anonymous usage data back, so I guess it never counted. I'll reconsider that decision!
        Please bring something back, VS IDE is one of the only editors that doesn't have this feature.

• Graham BullGraham Bull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tony Goodhew "in a future version of Visual Studio" - let's hope you mean the _next_ version of Visual Studio (2014?) rather than a distant future version.

• John O'Halloran John O'Halloran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be enough for me if you could just record/replay keystrokes, much like notepad++.

I assume not providing full support with naming/saving and debugging would help move this along at least in the short term.

@Roger hit the nail on the head.

Microsoft should figure out who's opinions matter most, not just "count heads".

Those who assign macros to keys/buttons, like I do,
        and who write extensions to handle debugger/window events,
        as I do, should count more than those who haven't a clue.

1 2 5 7 9 25 26

Feedback and Knowledge Base