I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,054 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

559 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PJTraillPJTraill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since you ask, what I most want is the record/replay feature for temporary macros.

It occurs to me that you might be able to provide a quick but limited expansion of MSVS-programmability by allowing Tools.Customise to attach keystrokes not just to single IDE functions, but to sequences of functions and other keystrokes (both keystrokes to windows and to menus).

It would be a great help if you could do that in an update for MSVS 2013!

• DimaDima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone who ever tried to convert a table from the documentation into the code knows that macros are a must. I am amazed that no-one inside the VS team apparently uses these ...

• HessamHessam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's really wired! such a powerful IDE like VS doesn't support macros!...

• PJTraillPJTraill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh@#! I have just hit this too!
        And I too am really annoyed (“Bastards” shot through my mind). I seldom use macros, but when I want them, it’s for a good reason.

Whether or not the 1% statistic is right, it is probably misleading. A (semi-)power user may record a macro that others find useful, or turn it into a VB function. People who care about this may be stronger advocates as well. And losing it just confirms that sinking feeling that you can’t trust MS to maintain a decent product without messing up the UI just as you had got used to it.

Incidentally, what I wanted to do was record a function to move up or down a level on the call stack without explicitly faffing around in the Call Stack Window.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Astonishing! I just installed VS2013, and now have discovered to my horror that macros are gone.

I have used macros every day, many, many times during every development session. I've been building a macro library for over 10 years. What possible justification is there for removing automation in a *programmer's* tool like VS, while in Word, Excel and other Microsoft products the functionality is still going strong?

• RainerRainer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have considered to purchase a private version of VS2013 because of the excellent XAML/WPF support, until I have discovered, that macros are not supported any more. With a VBA macro collection grown during the last 20 years, this is a NOGO. I really cannot believe this decision.

Please offer a VBA macro plugin as fast as possible. At least for making old VBA code running again and later on with a C# language support.

Having macros run when breakpoint hits is a powerful debugging tool. I've ran into situations that I need to set next statements a bunch of times for huge source code projects. This feature should come back!!

• PabloPablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

instead of wasting time thinking about api or whatever mess, allow simplest form of macro to format text. Better make it simple so it runs FAST and doesn't make it freez and choke when running macro. This way it will cover 95% of use cases and users will actually think that it was improved if macro starts to run as good as in notepad++

• Chris BanksChris Banks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used macros to speed up the build massively. It would only build projects that depended on things that had changed and would stop on the first error. Saved us so much time. Please bring back macros or bake this in to VS.

Have you ever tried to use a code editor without keyboard macros? Bring back the macros - now!

Microsoft, could you at least provide me a method for attaching my debugger to a Windows service.
        It was possible to do it with a macro!

You HAVE to be joking. Don't the Microsoft VS developers themselves use macros to save time?
        Add to this the fact that the latest Windows update breaks macros in VS2008 as well.. Why not remove the ability to use a keyboard with it too?
        There seems to be too much of a focus on adding features for stuff unrelated to actually writing any code.

• Peter GriggPeter Grigg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used macros to save more than a few hundred hours of programming time over the last 8 years, not to mention just adding a date time stamp and name to the beginning of a comment which helps all developers know who made a change to the current line/section of a piece of code. Writing a small program to write programs is exactly what Macros are all about. From the responses that I've seen, it is clear that MS should not have eliminated this valuable tool and should work on restoring it to the product asap.

1 2 5 7 9 27 28

Feedback and Knowledge Base