I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

4,983 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

545 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you ever tried to use a code editor without keyboard macros? Bring back the macros - now!

Microsoft, could you at least provide me a method for attaching my debugger to a Windows service.
        It was possible to do it with a macro!

You HAVE to be joking. Don't the Microsoft VS developers themselves use macros to save time?
        Add to this the fact that the latest Windows update breaks macros in VS2008 as well.. Why not remove the ability to use a keyboard with it too?
        There seems to be too much of a focus on adding features for stuff unrelated to actually writing any code.

• Peter GriggPeter Grigg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used macros to save more than a few hundred hours of programming time over the last 8 years, not to mention just adding a date time stamp and name to the beginning of a comment which helps all developers know who made a change to the current line/section of a piece of code. Writing a small program to write programs is exactly what Macros are all about. From the responses that I've seen, it is clear that MS should not have eliminated this valuable tool and should work on restoring it to the product asap.

• IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bugger future versions! Don't remove useful features from paid for and registered products without warning.

Extremely annoyed about this.

I have been using Macros in VS for the last... 10 years?!? and now they are gone?!?!

COME MACROS BACK!!!!!!!!!!

I'm using macros more 10 years (from VC5 up to VS2010) for accelerate keyboard input of frequent lines of code. Their removal is extremely inconvenient for me. Also macros are very useful when editing data, especially if you need to edit thousands of lines of code (make a macro is much faster than writing the program).

• Theo BuysTheo Buys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our team we use a set of house style macro's for years to keep C++ code documentation uniform. Please continue the macro's so we can import them without rewriting in some other form. Until it is back we use VS-2010 but today a windows update is blocking the macro's in VS-2010.... wish we were back with Visual C++ 6 without that terrible dotnet stuff...

• Jacques HerweijerJacques Herweijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

upgraded some projects from studio 2010 to 2013, please bring this back. it was such a time saving feature. All the other devs who didnt use this feature, were slower.
        Now doing this in plain 'ol vfp :) still my happy friend for the easiest data manipulation tool ever

Many posts say that Addins can do the same than macros, but there is the usability factor (something I cannot stress enough), at least a new "record macro" menu should be added that generates addin code.

(I basically learned Excel macros that way).

• RoyRoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just migrated from 2010, and today I discovered that the macro recording utility has been removed from Visual Studio 2012. I am really disappointed!

Please bring them back! I do not understand MS's rationale for removing them. They were there, they worked. Why mess with it?

We're developers because we're lazy and like the computer to do mundane, repetitive tasks.

"comments on what scripting capability we should offer"

Just be able to record keystrokes and execute them.

• todtod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just migrated from VS2010 to VS2013 (today Feb 2014) and have just discovered that the macros command in the tools menu has gone !!!

I can't tell you how useful I found the macro feature, it was one of the few joys I had working in the VS IDE (I won't mention the number of runtime bug and IDE crashes I've had !!) but using the macro comand was simple and easy, please bring it back !!!

• YanivYaniv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macros are very usable.

I use them when I need to update lots of code by doing the same things over and over.
        by using Macro I reduced the time that such actions cost.

Please return the macros

1 2 5 7 9 27 28

Feedback and Knowledge Base