I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,650 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

617 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PankajPankaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if only 1% (I highly doubt it) users are using a feature, still that translates to hundred of thousands of programmers. How can you ignore that many programmers.

• Andrew MyersAndrew Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Web Development creating a macro to attach to w3wp.exe with a key stroke is very useful. Sure I only code a macro every once in a while, but once it is created I use that macro often. I was surprised that macro's were removed from VS 2013. I just upgraded from VS 2010.

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unlike MicroSoft, sane developers know
        that intelligent comments, from users,
        matters most, not "usage statistics".

• Eugenijus DrabuzinskasEugenijus Drabuzinskas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot believe my eyes - someone states that macros were use by 1% or VS users. But I feel this 1% is most advanced and most valuable of all VS users.

Please bring this feature back!

• EurobaseEurobase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macros are very useful in some debugging scenarions especially in relation with breakpoints. It's unbelievable that the vs team doesn't realize these benefits.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most macros I used were navigating on the error list -- exporting text to other editor is not a workaround

• Dave ApeltDave Apelt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know it is infrequently used, but when it is needed, it will save your day. Please bring it back.

Macros are essential for some quick text, source code and XML editing activities. Although I don't use the feature every day, I actually depend on it for certain things. So I might have not turned on the "share information with Microsoft" like many others - in that context I wonder how reliable it is to base decisions on "blind statistical data". In my opinion it is the richness of text editor that was a big part of making Visual Studio so successful. Why throw richness away making people consider other text editors for some tasks and annoying this "less than 1%" of users, many of whom are likely the decision makers and could count as 1 for 10 in a vote?

Honestly, how much effort would it really have been to continue supporting scripting?
        One day, these types of decisions will come back to bite you. You chose to slightly reduce your workload by increasing the workload of everybody that uses your product.

Please bring back macros! The VS macro tools have been a huge benefit to my productivity, and saved me and my team countless hours of typing repetitive code segments.

• Robert WilingakarRobert Wilingakar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to open my project's .cpp and .h files in VS2010 with enough project settings as to be able to use intellisense, use the macro there, and copy the .cpp and .h files back in VS2012. Fortunately for me, my codes still are recognizable in VS2010. To be honest this is a bummer

1 2 5 7 9 30 31

Feedback and Knowledge Base