I suggest you ...

VS11. Bring back the old "Pending Changes" window

The new one is very confusing!!!

I think the old one was almost perfect so why did you change it??? I mean, you can add new options but why did you change the philosophy?

The most important problems I see with the new one:

- No way to have that window independent so it can be accessed easily and fast

- Difficult to see at first sight the files changed! (of course, the new “no color” interface is part of the problem...)

- Difficult to exclude changes! (in the old one it was so easy by clicking the checkbox...)

3,429 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SergioSergio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are happy to let you know that in today’s release of Visual Studio 2013 Preview we have made numerous improvements to the Pending Changes experience. The most significant additions are the ability to undock the Pending Changes page from Team Explorer, an option for viewing changes in a flat list, text filtering, and the removal of the “All Changes” page that was used when your number of files exceeded 250 items.

You can get the VS2013 Preview build here:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566

Matt
    Program Manager | TFS Version Control

169 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chuan LiChuan Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pending Changes in VS2013 is a joke.

It makes the simple task extremely troublesome due to the crowded metro layout, eye-hurting color scheme, confusing UI interaction:
        - Spot the files to check in
        - Include them, exclude other
        - Compare with latest
        - Enter comment
        - Check them in.

Pending Changes in VS2010 is much more usable UI design.

• Stanley GoldmanStanley Goldman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOL, I gave up man, just go use Git and be happy.

That's the only way to teach them that their decisions have been horrible.

Either way, you get three votes from me on general principle.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suggestions for improving the pending changes window in future versions.
        1. Allow the first three sections (Policy Warnings, Comment, and Related Work Items) and the last section (Notes) to be pulled out of the main Pending Changes screen or put in a separate column so this exists beside the Included changes & Excluded changes windows so the Included changes & Excluded changes can be scrolled separately from the other pending changes info.
        OR
        Allow freezing the first three sections (Policy Warnings, Comment, and Related Work Items) (similar to freezing rows in Excel) so that scrolling through the changes does not hide those sections.
        (I like the first option better)
        2. Allow adjusting the Warnings and Work Items sections so they can be shrunk down to one or two rows of info and scrolled individually so as not to take up the entire window when many Warnings or Work Items are listed.
        3. Create an easier way to assign Work Items to the pending changes. A button in the Work Items list that adds the selected work item(s) to the pending changes if not already there would be great! It was much easier in 2010, but that version was not without its problems. E.g. If you changed the Work Items query, the previously assigned work items were no longer assigned.

I also am not a fan on the pending changes window, but I have decided to try to pass on helpful comments

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So... after seeing that wonderful "Undock" button... is there any chance of really actually fixing this in Visual Studio 2014? 2015? Sure hope nobody got promoted for this "great new interface idea". Was the vision that someone was gonna be using Visual Studio from a tablet? For the real world record, most of my team is sticking with 2010 as their preferred IDE. If Microsoft truly understood how bad 2012/2013 has been on the street, they would have gathered in audience around the project manager and handed them a short sword. The Pending Changes window needs to be rolled back. It's not that confusing.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know there are a million comments on how horrible the pending changes is, but I would like to add one more. 2012 has great improvements for IntelliSense in C, but the interface is so blaahhh. No colors anywhere, looks like one big pile of boring ****. Pending changes makes me day so unhappy anytime I need to check something in. There are thousands and thousands of files in our solution, this tree view would be good only for small projects.

• RossRoss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Microsoft does not use Visual Studio to develop so they do not know how bad their changes are." -@BilliJack

This is true!

Even the simple Ctrl+F with Quick Replace option is gone (now you have to use Ctrl+H instead). I know you guys (in MS) are brilliant, but pls. don't make thing complicated!

• Daniel TannenbaumDaniel Tannenbaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean there are some simple things that you just wonder, where did they go?
        Like for example: I have a policy that says use the "Current backlog" query when checking in. This is nice because I can enforce that only items that are active can be checked-in against.
        For some strange reason, you can no longer use queries defined in "Team Queries" now you can only use queries in "My Queries" which means that I can no longer enforce this policy. And in general I cannot use shared queries. WHY IN THE WORLD? What does MS have to say about that?
        Also: drag work item? are you for real? well at least let me drag it from Team Explorer (because I have to admit the new search capability there is very nice) NO! You have to open it as a query and than drag it...What does MS say about that?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Visual Studio Team. The treeview is ridiculous. It is confusing and non productive.
        I still use Visual Studio 2010 for my source control related tasks.

And now you are saying that I have to buy the new version. Is that a joke?

Have you guys worked on big solutions with a lot of projects and deep folders? I only modify a handful of files, and I want to see them in a quick glance list view. Whenever I see a tree, I get frustrated, because I don't know where can I find my file in that tree.

• William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@EMI: You might want to look into Shelvesets. You can "shelve" all of your current changes that you don't want to check in, do a "Get Latest Version", make the bug fix changes, check in the bug fixes, then restore your shelveset, do a "Get Latest Version" to merge in any changes, and pickup where you left off.

• EMIEMI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forgot to mention: think of my below cycle is repeated over and over again. Am I missing something out of VS2013?

• EMIEMI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The working cycle with lists in Pending Changes window is a weird one at least. I have 100+ files checked out and modified. Out of them I want only 3 to check in in a batch because they refer to the same bug but the other 100+ refer to another developments I work in parallel. So with the new cycle I have to scroll all the list of 100+ files and select just those 3 of interest to transfer them in the Include list wile keeping the other in Exclude list. Well, I forgot to mention that in my 100+ modified files there are 5 or more that I never ever want to check-in but I want to keep them always in Excluded files (they are particular settings for build which fit only for my own machine; they cannot be checked in without introducing a big fuss for the other developers). Back to MS life cycle of checking files: After making my those 3 into Include I have to check-in and after that deal with those 5 (scrolling, selecting, playing with Include/Exclude, drink coffee and begin smoking ....)

• BillyJackBillyJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft does not use Visual Studio to develop so they do not know how bad their changes are.

• Sowen CheungSowen Cheung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

second that, the new Pending Changes sucks on sooooooooooooooooooooooo many levels. I always want to love Microsoft, but why the fxxk you always ***** us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SRGSRG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cedric, I can answer your 1st question because it touched a very simple truth in software world. No software will ever let you choose between old and new version by configuration. This is because 2 versions will have to be supported simultaneously in this case. Which is twice costs.

• CédricCédric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't you let choose developers to use the new pending changes tab or the old pending changes window by configuration ?

The visual studio 2013 changes are still unusable and are a waste of time compare to the VS2010 window...

And why do you mark the post as completed if no one is happy with a solution that doesn't change anything ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

absolutely DETEST checking in anything using VS2012. I puke multiple times during it and often leave projects checked out simply because i hate it so much. 2010 was so simple. Akin to other source controls and logical. This is so horrendous and painful to use. like everything on 2012, miserable vile design and so painful to use daily.

• Sandra WaltersSandra Walters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team *just* upgraded to 2012 (I've been using it personally for a while) and an upgrade to 2013 will not happen for quite some time. I fail to see how a fix for a broken feature in the 2013 Preview is going to help those of us stuck with the broken feature in 2012.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base