I suggest you ...

VS11. Bring back the old "Pending Changes" window

The new one is very confusing!!!

I think the old one was almost perfect so why did you change it??? I mean, you can add new options but why did you change the philosophy?

The most important problems I see with the new one:

- No way to have that window independent so it can be accessed easily and fast

- Difficult to see at first sight the files changed! (of course, the new “no color” interface is part of the problem...)

- Difficult to exclude changes! (in the old one it was so easy by clicking the checkbox...)

3,429 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SergioSergio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are happy to let you know that in today’s release of Visual Studio 2013 Preview we have made numerous improvements to the Pending Changes experience. The most significant additions are the ability to undock the Pending Changes page from Team Explorer, an option for viewing changes in a flat list, text filtering, and the removal of the “All Changes” page that was used when your number of files exceeded 250 items.

You can get the VS2013 Preview build here:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566

Matt
    Program Manager | TFS Version Control

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SRGSRG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if Pending Changes were not broken in VS 2012, you would still need to buy a new 2013 version :) Looks like they are shortening release cycles for Windows and other products to be more like Apple and Google.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to buy a new version just to get back something simple that worked fine on previous versions?! Really?!

• MaximMaxim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredible... "We returned old pending changes window, all you need to do is to buy VS 2013" ;) Thanks a lot.

The link you posted to the preview build is broken. It should not have "here:" in front of the real link.

• Randy BrattonRandy Bratton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have the option that some other developers have of going back to VS2010. My company says I HAVE to use VS2012, so this is going to be one PITA once I have to start checking in change sets. I have to exclude certain files because I work remotely, so these can NEVER be checked into the Team's TFS.

• Moon FisherMoon Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the reason that VS-TFS UI integration is so pathetic is that MS developers don't use TFS internally.

They use source depot, which is one of the best source controls I have ever seen.
        They need do dogfood it more thoroughly.

To Sean Bergam on MultiSelect:

This is a very lame reason to use VS 2012. You can do it easily (and more intuitively) in VS 2010.
        Just multi select your files (using space/shift/Ctrl+A... whatever) and press space.

Also, VS2010 has a tree view option in Pending Changes also, why can't VS2012 have a listview too?

Pending Changes in VS 2012 is a complete ****. In fact VS 2012 in whole is so non intuitive that it is unusable. MS forgot that VS is a developer tool, and developers need to know their changes in a plain view, WE know what we are doing.
        DON'T try to teach us what we are doing.

The other big pain point is shelving/unshelving.
        I am using VS 2010 just because the UI designers of VS2012 are mentally ********.

Argument-less comments such as "I like it" or "I dislike it" should be dismissed as a subjective personal like or dislike.

• William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When dealing with multiple TFS Projects, the repurposed TFS Explorer window fails in all regards. The old setup was extremely easy to use. Being forced to work with one, and only one TFS Project at a time makes it extremely difficult projects that have branches across several TFS Projects, especially during merges. The current design completely fails in this regard.

• Sean BergamSean Bergam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest everyone take a deep breath here. :) I was originally VERY frustrated with the Pending Changes UI in VS 2012 and was considering going back to VS 2010 because of it. However, when I realized that you can multi-select and then just right-click to move between Included/Excluded I felt much better. I agree the old one was better, but I can live with this one for now. I really hope the VS team fixes this soon, though (maybe in SP1?)

Also, I really hate that everything is all "metro-y" in VS 2012. Developers need utility, not stylish UI.

Feedback and Knowledge Base