I suggest you ...

Don't close all files when a project file is edited

When a project file is edited on the file system (e.g. source control pull), you'll currently get a prompt: "The project '<name>' has been modified outside the environment"

My options are to not reload, often not being able to compile, or reload the project closing everything I have open...even if it's completely unrelated to the project change (added image files for example). This causes a huge productivity loss on a rapidly iterating project (Stack Overflow in this case), I have to reload the project then spend time opening/searching for whatever I was working on before it happened. In most cases it's more efficient to just close and re-open Visual Studio so what I'm working on (open editors) is preserved.

Can we not get a delta performed here, and just mirror adding/removing the file in our local in-memory project tree when that's what happened? In our use case at least, that's what happens 99% of the time: a file was added, removed, or nested...no other project changes. I understand reloading when the project changes in other ways, but for simple inclusion deltas a reload and the resulting file closure is very aggravating, and a big time sink.

264 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick CraverNick Craver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...