I suggest you ...

Support multiple rows of document tabs

It would be really nice if the IDE allowed multiple rows of document tabs. Currently, I'm using the "Tabs Studio" add-in for this (http://www.tabsstudio.com). See here for an example: http://www.tabsstudio.com/documentation/addins/several-tabs-highlighted-with-the-default-style.png

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rob SiklosRob Siklos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've tried "Tabs Studio" and it's pretty good, but has its own set of limitations.

I'd love to see VS allow us to define the number tab rows. In 2013 we can pin the tabs and thus get 2 rows, but why stop at 2? I'd like to organize my tabs by grouping similar ones in their own rows. In my current project, I'd like 5 rows with between 1 and 8 tabs per row and I would like to drag and drop them to have them in the order I want.

• CornanCornan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement a variable number of tab rows.

Productivity Power Tools for VS2010 had two tab rows and this made a tremendous difference because I use an HPw2408h monitor in portrait mode exclusively.

One of the benefits was that my pinned tabs stayed on the top row, while my un-pinned tabs went to a second row.

Portrait mode is GREAT for viewing code, but it means that one row of the horizontal tab row is too short, and the vertical tabs are "totally" inappropriate (try them on a portrait monitor if you don't believe me!).

My preference would be to let the user set a maximum number of tab rows, and if the user chooses two or more, switching to at least two rows whenever pinned tabs are present.

• Dan LudwigDan Ludwig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked Amy Hartwig about this @vslive vegas, and was told it was already here as a feedback item. Would like to see the multi-row feature added too. I remember it was part of the productivity power tools, and though many of those features are making it into the vs 11 package, this one seems to have been left behind. I too want to see the document/tab well move to multiple rows when overflowed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base