I suggest you ...

Publish internally known (non-security) bugs

Currently the only way for us devs to know that the issue that has been haunting us for days is known and somehow processed, is if by accident some other non-msft developer had reported it in connect. It seems the vast majority of bugs *known to MS* do not appear there, and devs are forced to re-discover them again and again.

There doesn't seem to be even any release-notes or other list of known issues. But why not aim even higher? I'd love to see a live, public repository of known issues, updated with their triage results and expected resolution (if any).

Some examples:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/

Beyond the potential saving in developer frustration, MS might gain valuable insight into impact and prioritization of known issues, which you might want to consider, e.g., when planning service packs.

Of course all the above does not hold for security bugs.

49 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ofek ShilonOfek Shilon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sure, microsoft would do something that helps others without providing another source of revenue for themselves. I know, you could have different access levels that each uniquely cripple the usefulness of the database: "basic, standard, professional, enterprise, ultimate". basic just tells you what the title of the bug was, standard gives you the first sentence of its description, but you can only open 2 bugs per day. professional gives you unlimited bug access, but the descriptions have a format that requires a special ActiveX plugin to read. professional and unlimited are the same, but they have different prices and all you get is a different splash screen.

Feedback and Knowledge Base