I suggest you ...

Have different settings from Find in Files and Quick Find

The settings of Quick find (Ctrl+F) and Find in Files (Ctrl+Shift+F) have become tied together and that causes awful usability. When using quick find after using find in files, I always need to change settings before performing a search due to this behavior.

When using Quick find, I always want to search in the current document, and when using Find in Files, most of the time I search the entire solution or the current project. Now every time I try a Quick find after having used Find in files, I end up searching the entire solution, which is not what I want and takes a lot of time. Then I need to close whatever document was opened by the search, go back to my original document, change the search scope and finally perform the search again.
Even if I remember that I need to change the settings, it requires a lot of interaction. Instead of doing "Ctrl+F", type, "Enter", I now need to do "Ctrl+F", pick up mouse, click on dropdown, change the scope, click on the search box, type, "Enter".

Please revert to the old behavior!

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    aaubryaaubry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We’re addressing this post Beta. Please see comments for a temporary extension you can download that provides a workaround for this issue.

Thanks,
    Murali
    Murali Krishna Hosabettu Kamalesha | Program Manager | Visual Studio Editor

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon