I suggest you ...

XML comments schema customization in C#

Allow to customize the XML tags recommended for use in XML inline comments for documentation.

Just as in VB, a CSharpXMLDoc.xml could be saved in AppData to pass C# editor the customized XML elements.

343 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    pablojvarelapablojvarela shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FJFJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
        I agree that we need the ability to modify the C# templates, snippets, etc., for both code and comment items, and the mechanism should give us the ability to insert replaceable parameters throughout. I too was surprised that this appears to have not been implemented.

Thank you.

• RSVRSV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!
        I would like to have a "history" tag that automaticaly contains the current date

• JSBJSB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please allow C# to customize the XML comments schema. And to go a little further, allow us to change pre-parsing steps, so we can have a kind of CDATA handling for the standard tags like <summary> and <example>, which so often I need to include symbols like ">" or "<" and have nice indenting and line spaces and I really don't want to have use escape codes, or break the XML comment up, etc.

• Timothy HuberTimothy Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to change the template to a one-liner instead of three. If I want more lines I can hit enter.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for some type of implementation for C#. I was looking for this to solve a problem I have currently. Now I'll have to do it the hard way!! :(

• BarryBarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please either a) allow customisation or b) as a minimum improve the templates so they impliment documentation properties demanded by stylecop...

• BhavikBhavik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have feature for Visual studio 2013 to generate REST/SOAP API documentation with error codes

• MaulikMaulik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me to interested in documenting ErrorResponse for integrating with swagger UI feed

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this so I can automatically create and fill in the <remarks> block with info I am repeatedly typing.

• Todd MorrisonTodd Morrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for me.
        I have a good set of rest services that generate a Swagger UI feed using ASP.NET WebApi.
        Since the documentation for rest services extend far beyond what is available in the existing code doc spec, it would be nice to add in custom fields.

Examples of fields I have had to parse out of the summary:
        <ErrorResponses>
        <ErrorResponse code="404" message="Resource not found" />
        <ErrorResponse code="300" message="blah blah, i think you get it" />
        </ErrorResponses>

Feedback and Knowledge Base