I suggest you ...

Fix broken .NET Framework source stepping caused by 4.5 and 4.0 assemblies having the same strong name.

.NET Framework source stepping is not working with 4.0 or 4.5 targeted applications, because version 4.0 and 4.5 use the exact same strong name for the assemblies. The decision to skip versioning and do an in-place update to 4.5 breaks Visual Studio, let alone everyone else's applications. What a terrible idea! Do proper versioning.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard HeinRichard Hein shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard HeinRichard Hein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David, installing .NET 4.5 with Visual Studio 11 Beta prevents you from being able to step into .NET 4.0 Framework source. You won't be able to do it with VS2010 anymore either. Because .NET 4.5 assemblies replace 4.0 it breaks the ability to do debug .NET 4.0 projects. It doesn't work for 4.5 either, for the reason you gave, but it also breaks it for .NET 4.0.

• David KeanDavid Kean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Richard, can you provide more information on what you mean by this? Source stepping isn't/shouldn't be broken because the assemblies have the same strong name (the debugger can handle this situation), it's not working because we typically don't publish source for pre-releases.

David Kean (MSFT)

Feedback and Knowledge Base