I suggest you ...

Open links in an actual browser

Please take the Web Browser out of the Visual Studio, open links in the default web browser (and please my own default, not Internet Explorer). Visual Studio is not good as a web browser and it uses Internet Explorer inside to make it worse.

685 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michel Pavan MacedoMichel Pavan Macedo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dwayne RobinsonDwayne Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't mind using IE for the browsing, but I do mind having it launch in an embedded window rather than in my browser on the second monitor so that I can see the two side-by-side and easily Alt+Tab between the two. So launching in the default browser would be fine, because currently I copy and paste the URL which is awkward.

• Åsmund WegoÅsmund Wego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has nothing to do with Internet Explorer or not. It has to do with the fact that the build in Visual Studio browser is a very limited browser that often fails when running simple javascript, and often display the pages badly. It would be much better to just give the opportunity to open links in external browser that is most likely upgraded to the latest standards. The best would actually be that default behavior is to open in external IE, but with option to change the browser that is used in code links.

• Rhys LloydRhys Lloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should at least be an option to change the default behaviour. More and more regularly links are being pasted into code to reference reasons and sources of hacks and workarounds. I don't understand why in this day and age with VS becoming as awesome as it is that this has been completely overlooked for so long. Surely it can't even be that difficult to change?

• MeMe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I don't like apps opening my browser (or any browser).
        Probably because I have 1000 tabs open and the people who wrote the browser had no idea what they were doing when writing it...
        And I like VS embedded IE (although it needs some improvements).

• Hired MindHired Mind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found out how to do this: Open/Create a web project. In the Solution Explorer, right click any html or aspx file, click "Browse With...". In the dialog that opens, you can set the default browser. If you set it to an external browser, Context help (F1) will open in a new browser window.

• Micah CaldwellMicah Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It isn't a problem with using IE, it is a problem with re-using the window. I code with Visual Studio and a web browser open side by side. When I click a link in my source code (e.g., MSDN article discussing why I am doing something) I want that to be open side-by-side with the source code, not overlapping it. I already have my browser up side by side so if the link behaved like a link in any other application this would improve my workflow.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pleasee I Need to change the browser because when there are a mistake in the mockup for example you can't continue with you task developer and then you need to change the browser for continue..

• Rasmus PetersenRasmus Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this.... even as a loyal MS developer, doing nice things with Visual Studio for MS CRM... try opening CRM in the VS explorer ... argggh!!!

As Michel said... just open links outside Visual Studio -or- at least give users a chance to change this behavior through a setting under Options.

Feedback and Knowledge Base