I suggest you ...

Make .NET 4.5 work on any OS that supports 4.0

.NET Framework 4.0: Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

.NET Framework 4.5 Beta: Supported operating systems: Windows 8, Windows Server 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008

If 4.5 is an in-place upgrade, it should support every OS that supports 4.0; wait until 5.0 to drop support for Vista and XP.

3,317 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RichardRichard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    i'm debuggeri'm debugger shared a merged idea: Too bad that .NET 4.5 does not support Windows XP  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedback on this issue. VS 2012 supported platforms are now published here (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/compatibility ). While Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not supported for .NET Framework 4.5, they remain as supported targeted platforms in VS 2012. More information is available here (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/18/a-look-ahead-at-the-visual-studio-11-product-lineup-and-platform-support.aspx)

Thank you,
    DeonHe – MSFT
    .NET Framework Team

194 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, keep xp updated with 5.0 either, there are so many people like me out there that are still using this wonderful OS.

• AlexGAlexG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft's actions to artificially cripple Windog XP reveals a boneheaded and desperate company, whose main goal is to squeeze users by forcing them to port into Windog 7 is despicable.

As I said many times in the past, Microsoft has become purely irrelevant as a software manufacturer.

• Luke PuplettLuke Puplett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually support Microsoft on this one. One of my clients is running 2003 on the public farm and so I can't use 4.5, but these OSes are really quite old. The elephant in the room here is that my client needs to upgrade pretty darn quickly or move to Azure.

• saddam alhammadisaddam alhammadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a worrying step, it seems we will have issues in the future of what is not supported by MS development platforms. Win XP and server 2003 should be supported by .Net 4.5 and later frameworks Because they are being used by many clients.

Hv use Windows7 serveral years ,but I cannot used it anyway.
        you cannot search file , and so on . And slower than xp. I cannot add memory for My company's computer. just hate it.
        Home, used win7 ,because large memory. So.. I install a vmWare on win7,
        then, installed 100s xp ,ha ha ha ---for each thing , Eg. Learn Math ; learn .net and so on... Because MS announce there have no XP exist ha ha ha , So I have no Piracy... thanks gates.

Please Support .NET 4.5 on XP!!!!!!!!!!!
        and 5.5 also.
        Why MS like to hate programmer? Or I hate you also.

• OnkarOnkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will Migrate my application to Java based. It is not that we should worry about it my all future projects will be built in JAVA if this is the case with MS.

• SivasaiSivasai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi our application right now deployed in Windows server 2003 R2 Trager framework 2.0. we can upgrade target frame work to .net Frame work 4.5.1?

• meme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It works on XP with Mono. Maybe I'll just use Mono. Why do I need SM again?

• GoGo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started using .Net 4.5. I was very excited. I was going to use all of these new features. Then I realized it doesn't work on XP. Sad trombone... I will not be using .Net 4.5 now. Unless you can magically make all of my customer's computers run Win7?

• GoGo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want .Net 4.5 to work on XP! WAH......................

Based on votes, this request is currently No.10 on ALL request categories.

What we get from Visual Studio Team: DECLINED and a generic reply that has nothing to do with the request.

For my next project I will target these platforms:

Windows: DECLINED
        Windows Phone: DECLINED
        iOS: ACCEPTED
        Android: ACCEPTED
        MAC OS: ACCEPTED

• softboy99softboy99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please everybody come here to vote more and more votes and let the management of MS to know the voice.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base