I suggest you ...

Make .NET 4.5 work on any OS that supports 4.0

.NET Framework 4.0: Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

.NET Framework 4.5 Beta: Supported operating systems: Windows 8, Windows Server 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008

If 4.5 is an in-place upgrade, it should support every OS that supports 4.0; wait until 5.0 to drop support for Vista and XP.

3,317 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RichardRichard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    i'm debuggeri'm debugger shared a merged idea: Too bad that .NET 4.5 does not support Windows XP  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedback on this issue. VS 2012 supported platforms are now published here (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/compatibility ). While Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not supported for .NET Framework 4.5, they remain as supported targeted platforms in VS 2012. More information is available here (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/18/a-look-ahead-at-the-visual-studio-11-product-lineup-and-platform-support.aspx)

Thank you,
    DeonHe – MSFT
    .NET Framework Team

182 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SivasaiSivasai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi our application right now deployed in Windows server 2003 R2 Trager framework 2.0. we can upgrade target frame work to .net Frame work 4.5.1?

• meme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It works on XP with Mono. Maybe I'll just use Mono. Why do I need SM again?

• GoGo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started using .Net 4.5. I was very excited. I was going to use all of these new features. Then I realized it doesn't work on XP. Sad trombone... I will not be using .Net 4.5 now. Unless you can magically make all of my customer's computers run Win7?

• GoGo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want .Net 4.5 to work on XP! WAH......................

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on votes, this request is currently No.10 on ALL request categories.

What we get from Visual Studio Team: DECLINED and a generic reply that has nothing to do with the request.

For my next project I will target these platforms:

Windows: DECLINED
        Windows Phone: DECLINED
        iOS: ACCEPTED
        Android: ACCEPTED
        MAC OS: ACCEPTED

• softboy99softboy99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please everybody come here to vote more and more votes and let the management of MS to know the voice.

• NathanNathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least support .NET 4.5 on Windows 2003 R2 & SP2 - it is not at end of life yet for corporate level support

The CEO changed,we wish MS can regains its engineer culture. Get closer to the developer voice. This voice is second voted of the whole site.We really wish MS reconsider its strategy of .net around windows. Still that world,MS should popularize its new version OS by the OS itself not by other peripheral tools. Lost the developers will lost the whole ECO and finally lost windows and office too not only the mobile area. It is merely a matter of time.

• Kunal KolambkarKunal Kolambkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since .NET is supposed to run on any Microsoft WIndows platform at least, it should be supported on all Windows OS at least above XP SP3 and higher.

• SamCPPSamCPP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately this decision is only going to hurt business adoption of dot net 4.5 and 4.5.1. It's a showstopper for us at the moment - if it was supported, the decision to upgrade future versions of our software to dot net 4.5.1 would be almost trivial. Without it, the impact on our customer base is enormous as our older customer base are primarily running older OS's and have no real motivation to upgrade.

Microsoft should popularize its new version OS by the OS itself not by other peripheral tools. If you lost the developers you will lost windows and office too not only the mobile area. we all appreciate the MS should really take care about the developer's voice here to extend its own ecosystem. 4.5 is an in-place upgrade, it should support every OS that supports 4.0. MS should wait until 5.0 to drop support for Vista and XP.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the .NET framework dropped COMPLETELY. As a power user of Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8, I can tell you with great emphasis that the .NET framework has been the bane of my existence for many years. When it breaks, it breaks BADLY requiring a ".NET Framework Cleanup Tool" that might help you restore functionality. However, in more cases you are stuck with little or no help from Microsoft as their tech docs are quite useless in repairing problems to the .NET framework. So, let me suggest another course of action: STOP USING .NET COMPLETELY. If you're writing software, write it properly and don't depend on a big, bulky, bug-filled common library set to do your work. Write software so that it doesn't require this horrible dependency. PLEASE. OMG.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base