I suggest you ...

Custom TFS Data Warehouse samples & guidance

I'd like to have TFS Report customization guidance. I get a lot of requests from project management, program management from my projects, but also on StackOverflow and MSDN forums for information on how to extend the TFS datawarehouse.

Guidance should include:
- Storing data from the build process in custom IBuildInformation/IBuildInformationNode
- Creating a custom IDataWarehouseAdapter which reads from the build details
- Creating a custom IDataWarehouseAdapter which reads from external data sources
- Guidance on extending the snowflake data model efficiently
- Customizing existing TFS reports to add custom data
- Creating custom TFS reports

Possible sample project(s):
- Code Metrics power tool
- Linking external data sources using webservices

I'd like to contribute.
Submitted by Visual Studio ALM Ranger.

220 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mohamadreza RezaeiMohamadreza Rezaei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

من الان نیاز دارم به مترجم آنلاین نه هر وقت که شما عشق ات کشید اجازه میخوام همراهی مترجم گوگل یا مایکروسافت رو لطف میکنید منت بذارید من با ابزار ننه اتون ترجمه کنم یا نه! آخه اونوقت من هم مثل شما خر میشم به زبون "زرگری"عرعر کنم کار کلفت میشه جاتون رو اذیت میکنه ها گفته باشم! پیوندها هم "شاهد" ماجرای من و تو مامانش اینا! ببخشید مسیر کج شد سرکاریه

• Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might as well add how to create an installer for your adapter as well. Turns out that creating a simple x86 installer that automatically installs into the correct Plugins folder for your warehouse adapter is not possible. Need to create separate x86 and x64 installers.

• Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to add some guidance on how to collect you data. I've ended up creating both an MsBuild Task (to gather statistics) and a Build Activity (to store the statistics in the build details). That was a lot easier to do than sticking all the functionality into the build activity, as you don't have information about external references, project outputs etc at hand. Plus it's easier to override settings on a per-project basis if needed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base