Custom TFS Data Warehouse samples & guidance
I'd like to have TFS Report customization guidance. I get a lot of requests from project management, program management from my projects, but also on StackOverflow and MSDN forums for information on how to extend the TFS datawarehouse.
Guidance should include:
- Storing data from the build process in custom IBuildInformation/IBuildInformationNode
- Creating a custom IDataWarehouseAdapter which reads from the build details
- Creating a custom IDataWarehouseAdapter which reads from external data sources
- Guidance on extending the snowflake data model efficiently
- Customizing existing TFS reports to add custom data
- Creating custom TFS reports
Possible sample project(s):
- Code Metrics power tool
- Linking external data sources using webservices
I'd like to contribute.
Submitted by Visual Studio ALM Ranger.
Might as well add how to create an installer for your adapter as well. Turns out that creating a simple x86 installer that automatically installs into the correct Plugins folder for your warehouse adapter is not possible. Need to create separate x86 and x64 installers.
Creating a TFS Report repository was proposed multiple times by multiple people during the review of this project proposal. It looks like someone went ahead and created a codeplex project to do just that. Would be nice to incorporate/use that:
I'd also like to add some guidance on how to collect you data. I've ended up creating both an MsBuild Task (to gather statistics) and a Build Activity (to store the statistics in the build details). That was a lot easier to do than sticking all the functionality into the build activity, as you don't have information about external references, project outputs etc at hand. Plus it's easier to override settings on a per-project basis if needed.