I suggest you ...

Leave VS 2010 theme (and the theme editor extension) as an option

When you came out with the VS 2010 theme, you said that it allowed you to focus on the code windows. The benefit that the theme provided hasn't changed, so please allow that theme to stay in VS 11, as well as the "Color Theme Editor" extension by Matthew Johnson (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20cd93a2-c435-4d00-a797-499f16402378) so those that want to tweak or even choose another theme can do so. Please don't force us to use a "metro style" theme (even if you add some color). You worked so hard to create a good looking 2010 theme, don't throw it away...that would be such a waste.

If you allow VS 11 to not look Metro, it doesn't mean your new Metro apps will lose traction. If you feel you have to make Studio look Metro to persuade Metro app development, then that would mean there's a self-confidence problem.

1,441 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dean JacksonDean Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David AndersonDavid Anderson shared a merged idea: Include the VS2010 UI theme as a UI theme for VS11.  ·   · 
    RavRav shared a merged idea: Bring The Back Great Color Scheme of VS2010 to VS11 !!  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

I’m going to mark this as completed so you can get your votes back – note that Matthew Johnson has released a VS 2012 color theme editor as you requested (link below) – I know it doesn’t have everything you requested in this idea, but hopefully this helps to address your feedback.

thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/366ad100-0003-4c9a-81a8-337d4e7ace05

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSIS 2012 looks worst in Visual Studio 2012, cant believe you guys removed the colors and forsing us to use 2012,cannot differentiate different components in SSIS

• cc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, this isn't COMPLETED! VS2013 looks awful! I hate the border-less, blocky trash that's designed for a PHONE or tablet! The icons remind me of the old Palm Pilot interface!
        Would be nice to be able to choose a total theme like "Classic Visual Studio" or whatever that works for a PC.. because who the **** codes on a phone or tablet full time??

• daviddavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still horrible without colored icons. I can't believe, that MS is able to release such depressive and not professional looked GUI.

• Valerio NukeValerio Nuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bring back the colored icons. this is TERRIBLE. I can't work like this. I'm NOT moving from vs2010

• jonjon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i couldn't agree more. the bland UI is so ugly and its extremely difficult to find an icon without starring at it for a couple seconds. they seem to have copied the look of content creation programs like maya, 3ds max and blender. it just doesn't work.

not sure what ms is doing lately with windows 8, office 2013 and vs2012. some of their choices are mind boggling. all i can think of is they are so focused on copying apple that they forgot what made them successful in the first place. i don't care if you want to copy apple with tablets and phones but please don't do it at the expense of RUINING YOUR OTHER PRODUCTS. copying is a sure fire way to fail.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

" I know it doesn’t have everything you requested in this idea, but hopefully this helps to address your feedback."

Nope. It's 10% of the solution. Do you realize how much time i waste trying to find a stinking button with this new UI? Luckily, the user community has stepped in to fill the horrible gap Microsoft has left. The combination of this theme editor with the utility at vsip.codeplex.com and the NiceVS from the Visual Studio Gallery gets us about 80% to where we NEED to be to remain productive.

Did Microsoft hire some "expert" from Cupertino to design this? Great practical joke on his part, if so.

• DevMasterDevMaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"1981 called it wants it's CGA graphics card back"

Seriously bring back the colors and proper window look and feel from VS2010 and win7. This flat look is horrendous and sickening to look at!!!

• VILIC VANEVILIC VANE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I first saw the new vs 2012 logo, I couldn't even believe my eyes! Comparing to the one of VS 2010, it's just a piece of ****. Get my VS 2010 theme back please!

• Nelson RobinNelson Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW - THE UPPER CASE REMINDS ME OF WORKING ON MAINFRAMES WHICH I MISS SO MUCH! I ALSO MISS WORKING ON CGA MONITORS WITH 4 COLORS - THAT WAS SO AWESOME!

DUMBING DOWN THE WINDOWS DESKTOP FOR THE MASSES IS ONE THING. DOING THE SAME TO DEVELOPERS IS PLAIN IDIOTIC.

AFTER BEING IN THE WINDOWS CAMP FOR OVER 25 YEARS, NOW I AM CONSIDERING JUMPING TO SOMETHING ELSE. MAC? LINUX?

• VSVS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have installed the Color Theme Editor and tested some themes.
        But with none of the themes I can see, whether the Visual Studio or any other window has the focus.
        Which settings changes the color of the top line (with "Projectname - Microsoft Visual Studio (Administrator)") depending on the focus of the Visual Studio?

• GUIGUI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doug Turnure,

How could you be ******** enough not to realize that by "theme", people are not talking only about colors but also about icons, borders, spacing, the chrome, etc?

• Jan Đonny ZárubaJan Đonny Záruba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, thank you for giving me voices back. But the issue is no solved. Themes are nice, but for me it is more important to get rid of that B&W glyphs!

• DzenanDzenan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

Sorry, but that blue vs2010 theme isn't even near vs 2010.

Best regards

• zokocxzokocx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This theme is hideous, ligth/dark option is a joke one is too brigth other is too dark, icons in intelliseanse are bad.
        Why you throw away something that was perfect like VS2010 theme, and introduce to us this monster, dont force Metro where is not needed !

• O. BleckmannO. Bleckmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A word on Metro UI Style
        At first I thought the metro tiles look like a cheap approach of "coder drawn placeholders" like you would use for prototyping. Furthermore I thought MS knows what they are doing and it would just a matter of time to get used to it. Well, as time passed by - compared to Apples UI design - it still looks ugly to me on W7 Phone as well as on W8. I never would have thought that MS will try to push a bad UI design by all available means. And now, that I had to experience the defaced UI of VS 11, I bet, that this comprehensive "forced fit" of the Metro UI marketing will lead to no good. According to Steve Ballmer this “most important year” might be - at least in my opinion - the decline of Microsoft on a variety of products and/or markets. With the lack of color and therefor of information, I can not use VS 2012 in production. Dispite of the caps, the visual seperation of elements, the strange icons and lots of other things are far beyond the pale. To payfor this products, would be a fraud, to provide it for free, would be insulting, to use it, is definitly an imposition. Sorry Microsoft, you have reached an impasse.

• Anna MetcalfeAnna Metcalfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nick it's certainly possible to change command icons using the command bar control interfaces in EnvDTE. Changing them in this way does not affect the icons held by the command itself - those are used to create the corresponding command bar control and don't change.

I've not yet checked whether you can do the same with built-in icons (we used icons in our own plug-in for test purposes), but you might be able to - or use a comparable VSX interface to achieve the same aim.

The context for us is that we want to change the icons dynamically to match the active theme, as that way we can use colour icons in the light theme without the dark theme mucking them up.

By the way, if you need to check whether the active theme has changed the best way we've found is to trap the AfterExecute event for Tools|Options, and check the VSCOLOR values at that point.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base