I suggest you ...

Leave VS 2010 theme (and the theme editor extension) as an option

When you came out with the VS 2010 theme, you said that it allowed you to focus on the code windows. The benefit that the theme provided hasn't changed, so please allow that theme to stay in VS 11, as well as the "Color Theme Editor" extension by Matthew Johnson (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20cd93a2-c435-4d00-a797-499f16402378) so those that want to tweak or even choose another theme can do so. Please don't force us to use a "metro style" theme (even if you add some color). You worked so hard to create a good looking 2010 theme, don't throw it away...that would be such a waste.

If you allow VS 11 to not look Metro, it doesn't mean your new Metro apps will lose traction. If you feel you have to make Studio look Metro to persuade Metro app development, then that would mean there's a self-confidence problem.

1,441 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dean JacksonDean Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David AndersonDavid Anderson shared a merged idea: Include the VS2010 UI theme as a UI theme for VS11.  ·   · 
    RavRav shared a merged idea: Bring The Back Great Color Scheme of VS2010 to VS11 !!  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

I’m going to mark this as completed so you can get your votes back – note that Matthew Johnson has released a VS 2012 color theme editor as you requested (link below) – I know it doesn’t have everything you requested in this idea, but hopefully this helps to address your feedback.

thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/366ad100-0003-4c9a-81a8-337d4e7ace05

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anna; I thought you looked familiar after coming across your codeproject earlier in the day... I've pretty much determined the data structure and extracted the color codes. I have yet to look at the structure of VS 2010 to see how they compare but that is left for later as my focus is on VS2012. I'm looking to see if the icons can be statically done as it would be less of a "hack" and more of a natural and permanent approach. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get in touch with Carlos.

• Anna MetcalfeAnna Metcalfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nick, you might want to get in touch with us (Riverblade) as in the process of adding support for the dark theme to our Visual Lint product (see http://www.riverblade.co.uk/blog.php#2012080202) we've discovered a few things which might be relevant to the task you're undertaking (e.g. we've been looking at dynamically modifying icons, and have spreadsheets of all of the VSCOLOR data for VS2010 and 2012).

You might also want to start a conversation with Carlos Quintero (http://msmvps.com/blogs/carlosq/default.aspx) as the chances are he's worked out a few things too.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tom; I've started work on theme customization for VS2012. I've got pretty far by sheer reverse engineering approach as I don't think any documentation exists on this. I'm at a point where I can modify the colors of every component in the IDE so far. I'm now working on the icons.. Once I get there, rolling out a VS2010 theme or something similar would be pretty easy. Stay tuned.

• John MailletJohn Maillet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the new UI functionality but, theme customization will help greatly. I'm running under Windows 7 and the "Metro" theme is rather jarring in contrast to the rest of the apps and desktop.

• ITMAGEITMAGE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"A theme editor would at least make the decisions forgivable" -- It would help but the other huge problem are the icons including those in the solution explorer. We need to be able to change them as well.

• cowboycowboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF. VS 2012 themes suck... LIGHT IS TOO LIGHT. DARK IS TOO DARK. PLEASE FIX!

• mrdevmrdev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta theme was a failure. So when you have a failed design you throw it away and go back to what works. You don't take a steaming pile of c*** and try to improve on it with dashes of color. A color coded status bar given monochrome icons is a cruel joke from a twisted mind.

• chrischris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should at least be 3 themes: Light, Dark and Dont ***** With What Works Well (ala VS 2010).

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both the Dark and Light themes in VS2012 are completely unusable. The UX design (or lack thereof) is simply appalling and not worthy of the developers who need to use your product.

• Dan EngelmanDan Engelman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A theme editor would at least make the decisions forgivable.
        If I was in charge, I'd fire whoever made these decisions.

KNOW YOUR USERS!

• SquirrelSquirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started using 2012 and I find the standard theme far too bright, especially on modern monitors. The code actually gets lost because everything looks the same.

It's not that I want the VS2010 theme back but I'd like to see an in-between theme where the code window remains with a white background but the rest of the UI is darker.

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm recommending apache server over IIS until MS apologizes and stops this nonsense.

• ITMAGEITMAGE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Colors(or lack thereof): Bad, Iconography: Bad, Contrast: Bad, Window separation: Bad

Trying to find something good (that I like) about the UI is posing quite a challenge.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Globe icons for pages, page icons for code, and designer... grey grey grey... I can't see where the structure is in my project anymore using peripheral vision.

I used to be able to - peripherally - get a grip for "where I am" in a large project, however this colour scheme removes this ability.

PLEASE allow themers to customise the icon sets - I for one would switch in a heart-beat.

Feedback and Knowledge Base