I suggest you ...

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

One of the things which I feel has value in the process templates forTFS 2011 is the state changing based on the linked child items. Like how the hours aggregate up from the linked child work items to the parent item, if there is a way to get the parent work item state to transition based on the linked child item state it would be good. An example of this is when a child item state is set to "In Progress" if the parent work item is then set to "In Progess" automatically.

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

88 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Prasanna RamkumarPrasanna Ramkumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Job SchepersJob Schepers shared a merged idea: Expose or automate Product Backlog Item / Bug State  ·   · 
    p shahp shah shared a merged idea: Change state on child work items when the parent state is changed  ·   · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ahmed IGAhmed IG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important, as it doesn't make sense to go through all parent work items when you have all the children work items closed.
        It will make our lives way easier, neater and smarter.

• Will SmithWill Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a pain to go to the PBI and change the state to Done when all of the tasks have already been completed. Either have to open the PBI and edit, or go to Kanban board (away from Sprint board)

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forgot to mention it would be nice to have this out of the box and not have to maintain our custom service.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We wrote a service to do the opposite as well. When all child items are closed we automatically close the parent PBI. It helps to keep all PBI's in sync with its actual state.

• Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for submitting. We have this one on our backlog. It does keep getting pushed down, however, so any information on why this is important would be helpful.

Gregg Boer - MSFT / TFS Product Group

Feedback and Knowledge Base