I suggest you ...

Change All CAPS Menu in VS 2012 to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT

Change All CAPS Menu in VS RC to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT. Ref (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/08/visual-studio-11-user-interface-updates-coming-in-rc.aspx )

3,049 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    suresh2suresh2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MulaMula shared a merged idea: Remove any "ALL CAPS" in any UI element in VS11  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Keeping with a Microsoft-wide emphasis on typography and casing as a key structure-defining element, we are retaining all caps casing as our default within the Visual Studio top level menu bar. However, you are welcome to override all caps if you choose, using the registry setting and related Visual Studio Extensions, which we will continue to support.

Visual Studio UX Team

113 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will stay on Visual Studio 2010 until Microsoft change the default ALL CAPS.

I know that I can change it in the registry, but not hearing users and the ugly bad user interface that Microsoft insist, are enough reason to not trust Visual Studio, or Microsoft, or in their design and development team and keep in version 2010 until change that (and hear our base customers users who pays).

• TimothyTimothy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHILE I UNDERSTAND THE NEED TO BE CONSISTENT ACROSS ALL PRODUCTS, I THINK THE OVERALL DECISION TO HAVE UPPER CASE MENUS IS JUST INCREDIBLY OBNOXIOUS AND TIRING ON ONE'S EYES, SORT OF LIKE MY POST RIGHT HERE. ALL CAPS SUCKS. DON'T DO IT. SOMEBODY IN MANAGEMENT NEEDS TO REIGN IN YOUR CRAZY ARTSY FARTSY DESIGN TEAMS. THESE ARE PRODUCTS THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAVE TO USE ALL DAY LONG, THESE ARE NOT ART PROJECTS.

• OZoneOZone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of you, 3050 guys, if Microsoft is so inclined in CAPSing, let's return that joy back to them via email subjects and forum thread titles. Unless they are siting in front of 40x25 mono screens, they'll surely appreciate this as much as we did.

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I SEE NO REASON TO WRITE COMMENTS IN OTHER CASING OTHER THAN THIS.
        THIS IS NOT SHOUTING BUT MICROSOFT-WIDE EMPHASIS ON TYPOGRAPHY AND CASING AS A KEY STRUCTURE-DEFINING ELEMENT.

• Gary HarperGary Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, FOR ONE, AM VERY HAPPY WITH MICROSOFT'S DECISION TO KEEP THE ALL CAPS MENUS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUSS WAS ALL ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE. IT IS AS EASY TO READ ALL CAPS AS IT IS TO READ MIXED CASE. I WOULD WRITE ALL OF MY CODE IN ALL CAPS IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE FACT THAT LANGUAGES ARE CASE SENSITIVE.

PS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PREFER MIXED CASE I OFFER THE SERVICE OF SENDING THIS COMMENT TO YOU IN THAT FORMAT. JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL WITH THIS SUBJECT: USE_COMMON_WRITING_PRACTICES=TRUE

• GrahamGraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I started this suggestion I would like to add a post script...

Last month the US Navy announced that it was ditching its ALL CAPS message format.

To paraphrase Ed Payne of CNN - all caps is a vestige of a bygone era.

Full story at http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/13/us/navy-all-caps.

PPS Use VSCommands->Options->>Main Menu->Sentence Case

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most people don't like SHOUTING, on Office products, VS, emails, web pages or anything else. Most people find a row of vertical menu options structure defining enough.

Moreover, It contradicts the designers stated aim to prevent the UI distracting the users attention from the code which SHOUTING certainly does.

I understand the VS teams predicament in that they have to tow the corporate line, but you could at least acknowledge that most people find SHOUTING distasteful and provide a setting in options to switch them off rather than having to hack the registry or install third party plug-ins.

• Phil MurrayPhil Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although this is a minor issue it's another example of Microsoft not listening to the customer base. High lofted design ideas should never get in the way of user satisfaction. That leads to customer unhappiness and eventually lost revenue.

• RaistlanRaistlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The June 28th Penny Arcade comic seems very appropriate here: "If you were wondering, this is how UI Designers say '**** you.'"

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HELLO UX TEAM.
        LOOKS LIKE YOU TREAT DEVELOPERS AS PUBERTAL TEENAGERS.
        IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR YOU HERE:
        STOP SMOKE THAT **** AND PUT AWAY BANANAS FROM YOUR HEAD.

Caps lock does not. The default look and feel certainly does. Also, please understand that most of these UI topics were created for the Beta and while things are improving they are not yet fixed.

It does not matter if you can't see that finding the comment line button took 5 minutes. It did for me and I have been using VS since 2003. We are not referring to bugs here rather design choices by Microsoft. If you like the new design great, if you don't care then fine but don't think that it does not have an impact on other because it does on me.

Apple are losing money? Really? $9.5bn profit last quarter on a turn over of $43.6bn. While this is a fall in profits don't think that Apple will go away anytime soon. One of my friends recently started an XCode project and is loving it so again that is entirely subjective, just like our complaints on the VS2012 UI.

@ Phil, Posting my real name makes very little difference, by all means call me Mhil Purray, it wont change anything. Also VS2012 is no longer in beta, so that cant be an excuse, there were a lot of errors and bugs in beta and it would crash often, surely you don't expect people to comment on them now still? I also cant see why it would take 5 mins to find Comment Line.

I doubt the design choice of VS is affecting mobile computing either, Apple are losing money and are showing worrying signs and XCode despite being awful has a lot of UI changing options.

Surely if cap menus give you eyestrain then constants and enums do too?

@Anon, The problems with the UI are not simply down to the colour schemas or the uppercase menu items they are around usability.

For instance, on installing the Beta version it took me five minutes to figure out where the line comment button was. The glyph's are not only ugly but for a while decreased my productivity.

Don't forget that in the beta version there were no colour theme's, the glyphs were all different and everything was unfamiliar. Another case of "someone moved my cheese".

I hate the shouty capitalised menus but do they affect my productivity, no.

Microsoft has some issues at the moment in trying to get market share in developed area such as mobile computing but annoying the development community id not a was to do this.

I always go back to the fact that I have to have Visual Studio 08, 10 and 12 installed to cover different platforms within my company rather than being able to develop everything from one IDE.

It all comes down to one thing. If it affects my productivity and causes me eye strain then I'm not going to like it.

Nice you see you publishing you real name in your posts as well. Ahem, Anon.

I really wish I could downvote all the threads / posts about menu headers being in caps. Are you people seriously unable to work due to all caps menus? Wow!

I would hate to be working with you guys on a project, "ewww there is a dead fly in the corner of the desk, that's it im refusing to work until this is fixed, it is obviously affecting my work, marriage and health".

It is just caps and you people are freaking out and being all dramatic like MS decided to discontinue VS

No MS, your time is better spent on other things, if someone gets upset by caps then clearly they will be getting upset by a million and one other things and if people are distracted by the caps then they have attention issues, they aren't hypnotic and if you are working you wont even notice the caps.

• drweb86drweb86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, make us concentrate on benefits of Visual Studio, not its ugly uppercase interface.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a tablet. This is not a tool for computer newbs. This is not running on a phone. Stop yelling at me in all caps. Do you write you code in all caps? It is ****** to read and provides less "shape" to help quickly scan for and finding what I'm looking for.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base