Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChristopherChristopher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Praveen SethuramanPraveen Sethuraman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi multi mon users!

I am excited to let you know that with the Visual Studio CTP2 release, we have added a custom layouts feature which enables users to save, apply and manage custom window layouts. Details about the CTP2 release can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/08/visual-studio-14-ctp-2-available.aspx

This should address some of issues that folks run into when switching between multiple monitor configurations.

We would love to hear your feedback about this feature. Please send us any feedback using the built in "Send a Smile" menu (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zzszcehe.aspx).

Thanks!
        Praveen Sethuraman
        Visual Studio IDE Experience Team

• Neil MacMullenNeil MacMullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most annoying aspect of the current multi-monitor support is that, as Chris suggests, floating windows are treated as foreground.

A common layout for me is to place the editor maximised on the left screen and errors/output and test explorer over on the right screen overlapping my browser.

I often find myself using the browser to look up some technical information (including MSDN help) but when I then refocus the editor, the floating windows pop to the front, obscuring the very information I wanted to refer to.

Of course, I can get around this by carefully arranging everything so there's a nice 'hole' for the browser to sit in, but a more convenient solution with less window shuffling would be much appreciated.

Maybe a 'push/pull all floating windows to back/front' button on the main window?

• Chris KirbyChris Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The muti-monitor support is nice, but very difficult to use in certain scenarios. I would prefer configuration profiles so that my setup is one way when i'm at my muti-monitor console and another way when i'm rdping into my workstation with a single monitor. In that scenario right now, all **** breaks loose and i have to reconfigure everything when i log back into the console. So, setting profiles that automatically switch would be a nice solution for that. I would also suggest that each floating window can be minimized and maximized independently. There are several scenarios where i would like one of the floating windows to remain the foreground on a secondary monitor while minimizing the main window.

• Michael SumeranoMichael Sumerano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Multi-monitor support is already there as you can undock any child window and move it to a different screen. However, there are annoyances with it that cause those windows to lose their place if you switch to debug mode (as they seem to have their own settings depending on what mode you're in), and if you had RDP'ed to your machine from another one that does not have the same size or same number of monitors, then logged back in locally. I commonly do demos from a conference room remoted into my machine, then get annoyed when I have to put back all my windows after I log in locally again.

• professorprofessor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, here is one specific thing I beg for: hotkeys for moving code tabs accross the monitors (similar to Windows Win+Shift+Left/Right)

• drweb86drweb86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, practical suggestions are important. as for me i get used to open Firefox/msdn at the other window to search different things while creating masterpieces.

• dbkk101dbkk101 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not voting for this, since it's not specific enough. "Better" is great, but zero practical suggestions renders it meaningless.

• drweb86drweb86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

without several tabs on several monitors it will be felt like nothing new in Visual Studio that is really helpfull for soooooo much of people

• Andris LubansAndris Lubans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If one or more child window moved to second monitor, VS must hide those windows in case when user start working with another application.

• stepanstepan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought about Diff windows, it now always appear in main IDE window, and never remembers when ii move it out to another window

Feedback and Knowledge Base