I suggest you ...

change the new 2012 bowtie icon back to the smooth style

The sharp-edged icon that came with the Visual Studio 2012 RC is hard to look at, and looks more like a bowtie than an infinity symbol. Please return it to its former glory before releasing RTM.

417 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TedTed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David GrigoryanDavid Grigoryan shared a merged idea: Return the old icon from Visual Studio Beta!  ·   · 
    JeffJeff shared a merged idea: Bring back the old icon.  ·   · 

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sucks, I agree. I think this is simply endemic of the fact that we are slaves to our paychecks just like Microsoft developers, and the Marketing Dept is calling the shots. What are the choices? Quit? Revolt? If Marketing says "Jump!", Engineering says, "How high?" on the way up. This needs to stop, but how?

• A CoderA Coder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just installed VS 2012 express todaly. As expected, Microsoft totally ignored the many hundreds of complaints made about the new metro ui.

This has to be the ugliest UI I have ever seen. Won't be spending a cent on VS 2012 until I see some marked improvements. I recommend nobody pay for upgrades until this issue is addressed. it is the only way to make them listen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just installed VS2012 today, the sorry install screen and weird icon were only just a preview, when I started the IDE I thought I must have done something wrong ... no way it is supposed to look this God awful ugly! But, unfortunately, that's the way it is ... how did they let this happen, it is WAY beyond terrible!

• Christoph MuschnerChristoph Muschner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why a new lookout for VS 2012? The new shades-of-grey symbols and windows are very unreadable.
        And why is there the code-button in the project explorer but the designer button has been removed? Its not to speed up developing ...

• XxBbCcXxBbCc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol, even Vista was better than this and even Microsoft stopped arguing how bad Vista was. I'm really curious why the people who design UI at Microsoft haven't been fired yet. Starting with Office 2007 Microsoft UI took a plunge, along with the general product quality and usability.

• LCoderLCoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This icons are very hard to see, and ugly. And the all VS212 look is a big ****. Please, give a possibility to restore the old 2010 UI. Or the 2008. Or 2005. Or the Visual Basic 3.0. It was also better then this.

• PhilippePhilippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing that is nice is that each version icon are different enough so that you know which version you start when starting the application (from the taskbar) but there are similar enough that know that applications are related.

• Visual Studio UV Site AdminAdminVisual Studio UV Site Admin (Admin, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the *hard to see* facet of the icon - we are looking at options for this with RTM. Stay tuned. I have not seen any changes coming with the sharp edges at this time, but I'll leave this idea in place to continue to monitor the vote count.

thanks,
        Doug Turnure - VS Program Manager

• AzarienAzarien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The top-left window icon has a glitch: when the window is maximized, clicking in the top-left screen corner should open the system menu (and double clicking should close the application).
        I know this is no longer relevant in Win8 (the top-left screen corner is used for some other menu) but in Windows 7 it should have the old behaviour.

• MichaelDawMichaelDaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The icon is just one of the excellent examples of the beautiful design choices made for the new version of visual studio.

• David NealeDavid Neale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With it being just 1 dark colour, I do find that a lot of the time it becomes almost invisible on my taskbar. Perhaps having a few icons in the .exe would help, then I can pick the one I prefer (or that is visible with my colour scheme) for myself. In fact I found this page while searching for an alternative .ico file to replace it with.

• ITMAGEITMAGE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another thing I noticed but couldn't quantify until today is that the bowtie icon is kinda harsh with it's pointy edges. Sounds ridiculous but this concept extends to other Metro UI stuff as well such as removing the rounded edges on app windows, square tiles, lack of gradient/transition in color (it's like all or nothing) and so on. So rather than having rounded edges and smooth transitions in the UI which gives me a smooth calming feeling (as strange as it may sound), it makes me kind of agitated. Strange but true. But hey it just must be me getting old...

• Tim HallTim Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Michael i dont care that much about it in general, but i have a purple win7 taskbar, so its pretty hard to see when its not running, and you shoudlnt force people to change their color schemes to fit your icons.

• ITMAGEITMAGE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new icon is pretty ugly, whereas the VS2010 infinity symbol represents the infinite possibilities when using VS. Ahh here's a nice slogan if we went back to the infinity symbol: 'Explore the infinite with Visual Studio 2012'

• Michal A. ValasekMichal A. Valasek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care about bowtie of infinity, but the problem is that it's nearly invisible on dark background. I have dark taskbar and the icon is not useable. Add white border, or several colors or something...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base