I suggest you ...

Drop "Test Explorer" view and revert to the VS 2010 Test View and Test Results paradigm

I hate to bring forth blank statements like this but the Test Explorer in VS 2012 sucks. I waiting for the beta cycle to finish because I was under the impression serious improvements where in the works but now that I have the RC in my hands I'm very disapointed.

This is a major regression.

1) Believe it or not I can't even copy exception messages from the unit test results
2) I Can't run a test in context like I used to be able to (or i don't know how to)
3) I can't group tests by class name or any other way
4) I can't control the columns I'd like to see.

Either I'm completely missing something or you guys completely missed something. I hope its just me. For now I'd suggest you reintroduce the VS 2010 Test View as a solution.

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Most of the requests from the initial idea and comments have been addressed in Visual Studio 2012 RTM, Update 1, and the upcoming Update 2. If you still feel that something is missing please open up a new more specific idea.

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaoloPablitoPaoloPablito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

p.s. In the past year, I manage to still use VS2008/VS2010 for testing while developing on VS2012.
        Now I'm forced by my company to move to VS2013 for a new big project, and I'll be forced to use VS2013 for testing too. :(
        People in my team miss the good interface of VS2008/2010. Please, Microsoft, bring it back.

I just installed Visual Studio 2013 Update 1 and I was very disappointed. Microsoft here above says "COMPLETED" but all the VS 2008/2010 good features about automatic testing are still missing.
        Just to recap them:
        - VS2010 separated test preparation and test execution, VS2013 mixes them in Test Explorer; sometimes it may be useful, but for me MOST of the time it's not useful at all. Instead, it's confusing. A filter filters both executed and "not executed" tests, so if I run a single test directly from my test source code, and then I open Test Explorer, I don't see the test and I have to clear the filter.
        - Furthermore, previous test results are mixed with new test results in the Test Explorer. This is confusing.
        - VS2010 had test results in table form, with customizable colums, allowing to see all error messages at a glance. VS2013 has not. This is a regression.
        - With VS2010 I could easily tell which test was running at a given time
        test results in table form, with customizable colums, allowing to see all error messages at a glance
        - With VS2010, running a test automatically opened the running & test results pane. Ok, I understand some developers did not like it, but I DID like it, and an option to get back the old behaviour would be useful.
        - VS2010 had an option pane to customize the automatic testing behaviour
        - VS2010 had checkboxes to select tests to run (VS2013 has just clumsy CTRL+CLICK)
        - Sometimes tests are not run at all, as if the test running process had a problem, but no errors are displayed, sometimes they are run OK.

I'm sad about this, and unfortunately I cannot vote again on this item.

• AngryAngry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All dummies at Microsoft !!!
        I have an error message in Test Explorer without being able to copy it in order to paste it in Google.
        YOU ARE RIDICULOUS.
        Bring me Visual Studio 2008 back, I was able to customize the toolbars !!!
        STUPID of you !

• williamwilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree the 2012 Test Explorer is unbelievably lame. How to make it go back to the way it worked/looked in 2010?

• Hugh ProctorHugh Proctor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be one of those MASSIVE FAIL moments for the VS 2012 dev team. I don't think that they've heard the saying 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

I don't understand the Test Explorer, I would expect the most basic level of functionality to be there. For example, I've grouped my tests, I want to run the grouped tests - this is not possible by selecting the group instead I have to select (manually) all the tests within the group. I'm testing basic functionality and at its minimal this is 243 tests.

You would think that I'd know if the tests are running or what they're doing; a trace. If test hits an exception or an error then Test Explorer just breaks, stops! doesn't move on to the next test, doesn't send a result or any indication that there was an error, no log, (with code or with itself!), it simply sits... I have no idea what it's doing!??? WTF!!! I hate you guys, Microsoft! Bring back the 2010 development team!
        I really don't know what to do... Resharper, NUnit.
        It seems that you guys did not look at what was there before and went blindly forward with no good ideas or prior experience to know the needs of your customers. If it weren't Microsoft and a monopoly you'd go to the wall as business for not meeting the most basic of customer requirements.
        Very bad.
        I haven't got time to list all the things wrong with it... it's your primary business to capture the business needs upfront, market analysis, feature list. You should be fired and you should be asked to return the money that they paid you, as you failed to deliver anything close to a product fit for purpose.

• VenkataVenkata commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the test explorer ability to see what tests are running is very required.

• VenkataVenkata commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using VSTS2012 Ultimate Update3. I still can NOT copy the console output from the test output window. This is really required for us to re-run the test manually by copying the text from the output window.

Ability to group the test is lost. I have 1000s of tests. It is very difficult to go through the list to locate specific tests

MSFT please listen & respond to the customer.

• Richard AndersenRichard Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with PaoloPablito and the orginal suggestion! I do not like the "Test Explorer" and I am running RTM. The thing I hate (other than crashing) is no indication that it is running...

Microsoft says "Competed" but I tried the Update 2 and I still feel uncomfortable with the VS2012 autmatic testing infrastructure. See my post dated "November 30, 2012 11:53 a.m" below, very few things really changed in Update 2. So I still use VS 2008 and VS 2010 for many of my automatic testing chores.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we please get "Associate Test to Case" in the right click menu back. It was extremely helpful to have the search dialog come up and to be able to search for a test case by id. It made my day much more efficient.

Thanks.

• Daniel MeechDaniel Meech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to know what tests are currently running as we quite often experience the Test Explorer hanging. We have no idea if it is a bad test or just the test engine!

• Geoffrey RaybackGeoffrey Rayback commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My biggest problem is I can't tell which tests have run, which are running, and which didn't run in any given test run. It seems to me that tests that are running have a success icon (?) which is ever so slightly lighter green than test which passed? Is that right? And the tests all reorder themselves (randomly?) every time you do a test run so I can't find my ever so slightly less green test which maybe passed or is possibly still running or maybe didn't run at all? What? What was wrong with the little spinner on tests that were running and no icon at all on tests that didn't run? That was impossible to mistake. Now I end up running all my tests multiple times just to make sure they really ran. What a time saver!

• Radu CrisanRadu Crisan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In VS 2012 Test Explorer I do not see a unit test description anymore.(the one I add as attribute Description("my unit test description"). I cannot choose what columns to display. Why on earth you removed these things?

• chrclausenchrclausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not so concerned with missing features, more with stability. If you search the Internet with the following keywords, you will see what I mean: test explorer visual studio crash

• TestUser1253TestUser1253 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other major bugs - TestContext doesn't work reliably when upgrading .NET 3.5 unit test projects, can't "view output" of tests (thus can't view logs anymore), frequent crashes of VSTTExecution engine. Despite opening Microsoft support ticket (where the undocumented workaround of toggling target framework from 3.5 to 4.5 to 3.5) worked in some cases, still can't realiably use TestContext in our tests. This works without issue in 2010

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would save me (and MS) so much time if they didn't cache anything. I find that Test Explorer often doesn't list all my tests and Pending Changes window often misses some pending changes. There is simply no need for cache anymore, why do people continue to write and use them? They waste far more time than they save.

• Sean YaoSean Yao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new test explorer still sucks even in Update 1. Besides the ones mentioned above, I still missed the following:
        1) It doesn't show the test case that is current running. If a broken test which runs forever, I can't find the test easily.
        2) I can't sort the tests by StartTime or EndTime, which is useful to trouble shoot some test teardown bugs.

Microsoft said:
        "Most of the requests from the initial idea and comments have been addressed in Visual Studio 2012 RTM, Update 1, and the upcoming Update 2. If you still feel that something is missing please open up a new more specific idea"

We'll do it... when Update 2 is released.
        What are your plans about it ?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base