I suggest you ...

Let me build metro style apps on Windows 7

I understand that windows 7 does not support win rt, however I may not want to move my development machine to windows 8 right away given its poor support for my multi monitor setup. I should have the ability to build, test, and deploy windows 8 apps in vs 2012 from my win 7 workstation.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris KirbyChris Kirby shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • L-DiddyL-Diddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I doubt there is a good technical reason why Metro apps can't be run on Win 7 (or Vista/XP for that matter). As usual, Microsoft eschews backwards compatibility in order to force upgrades, as they always have (look at IE9 not running on XP, for example).

You only have to run Process Explorer on Windows 8 to see that not much has changed, under the covers.

A shame they didn't implement this; at present I have a mickey-mouse setup where I use my Win 7 dev machine to remote desktop into a laptop running Win 8 in order to play round with developing a Win 8 app. Not ideal (but it works).

• BrettBrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run multi boot for Win7/Win8 so I can switch easily between dev environments. Looking at the architectual changes, it's easy to see why win 8 apps do not work in win 7. You could maybe use a VM in win 7 to host Win8 dev environment.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed it would be great just for now, till there is a win8 rtm (VS 2012 express on win7 to be able to remote dyploy on a w8 machine)

Feedback and Knowledge Base