I suggest you ...

Recover trx files for Unit Test

I found in VS 11 Beta or VS 2012 RC, when I did some unit test, there is no trx file that stores test results any longer in the TestResults folder, so in this case, I have no way to check my previous test results, this is very inconvenience, especial when I want to save all my unit test results in somewhere, why did you remove this feature in the new version?

187 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nate LiNate Li shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have implemented extending the unit testing framework to execute UI & web services tests. Currently these tests are executed on a local machine. There is no way to extract, export or copy the results from the Test Explorer window. VS 2012 is a step backwards and not really a viable solution until potentially after a TFS 2012 upgrade.

• Etienne TremblayEtienne Tremblay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might run test on my local machine but want to publish them to TFS later. Now I can't because the trx file doesn't exist. Now i'm aware you can run it from the command line but that's not really convenient when you're already in VS. Why is there not just a flag in options to turn the /logger:trx on the run of the test. this way everyone would be happy.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having easy access to test results in VS2012 is a deal breaker for me as someone working in test automation.

Deprecating this feature is a major problem for those of us using the full range of VS Test features outside of unit testing who also need to publish results to TFS. It is also a huge burden for people who have strict requirements to gather test metrics during and across sprints but also have problems fully integrating their entire range of tests into a continuous build process.
        The reality is that most teams do not have a full, end-to-end build and test process, and when the rug is pulled out from under you like that, you really feel like a second class citizen as a software tester.

My team needs the capability to run a suite of more volatile tests (Coded UI Tests, etc.) locally and produce a .trx file that can be manually reviewed before being published against a given build in TFS. With VS2010, this was a simple process that could be done without having to leave VS or be forced to use Test Manager.

It is really hard to explain to management that the metrics they require are magically no longer available after an upgrade.

• Jason EalesJason Eales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support your proposed suggestion as I have an issue that has similar requirements for the TRX file as you have.

I need to record the 'speed' in which the Unit test have been executed and Test Explorer does not enable us to export or copy the tests results. With Test Explorer you are able to copy one test result at time , but this is ridicules.

• Nitin GoyalNitin Goyal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Test results reporting is very plain in VS2012 and is missing crucial information. It used to be very intuitive and detailed in VS2010.

• Aamir MahmoodAamir Mahmood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to me. Sometime test crash and bring down the test run.
        I want to know which test caused it, and the only way is looking the trx file, which is not available.

• JJohnsonJJohnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially true when cross checking unit tests across multiple platforms and environments to weed out as many errors as possible.

• a-rigupta-rigupt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Joshua
        Lets say I finish the 3 test runs and then I want to compare the outputs/time taken of first 2 test runs . I will need the trx files in this case to be able to load them in Test Results window and then compare them.

-Thanks

• Joshua Weber - msftJoshua Weber - msft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to understand this suggestion a bit better. I don't fully understand the scenario and motivation for wanting to save your test results for later.

Could you explain in a bit more details why you want to save unit test results?

Feedback and Knowledge Base