I suggest you ...

Auto-fill docummentation comments in JavaScript

VS 2012 doesn't make it easy to write documentation in JavaScript source files. When you type /// to write XML documentation in C#, VS automatically fills in the proper tags to add a summary, and if the comment is before a function declaration, adds in tags for the function parameters as well. When you add another line to the comment, VS also automatically adds in the /// to start the line. In JavaScript, when you type ///, you just get three slashes.

Alternatively, you could add support for JSDoc style comments, which are easy to write and are supported by other IDEs such as Netbeans (and by JSDoc naturally).

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JoelJoel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael ObermeyerMichael Obermeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it would be nice if Visual Studio had native support for this. However, I've created an extension that at least auto-creates the xml comments (no JSDoc support, sorry). I'm sure it's not as robust as what could be created with a dedicated effort by the Visual Studio team, but I'd like to think it's better than nothing, and will hopefully help out until support is added.

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/0cb7304b-ad78-4283-ba2b-42804657fcdd

• Brad PowellBrad Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't have to be requested. It should have been a no brainer. I can pick NetBeans, Aptana, Notepad++ and type in /** and a comment template starts. I know M$ doesn't like anything that is actually a standard but this frustrating to say the least.

Add support for JsDoc comments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base