I suggest you ...

Provide Microsoft Fakes with all Visual Studio editions

Include Microsoft Fakes with all editions of Visual Studio including Professional edition rather than being restricted to developers with Ultimate editions of Visual Studio. This will allow all Visual Studio developers to leverage the capabilities of the Fakes mocking library since mocking/stubbing is a necessary part of every developer's Unit Testing toolbelt.

1,457 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    shareptmastershareptmaster shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • YanalYanal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please help us to be better professionals and add this feature in ALL (yes ALL!) editions of Visual Studio.

• AlexKvenAlexKven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok. The title is "provide this in ALL visual studio editions," and you made it "completed" by providing it in one additional edition that is still out of reach for many. Nice job "completing" it. I could imagine the chaos that would ensue if Microsoft employees "completed" their tasks the same way you "completed" this task.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so lame, why mark is as complete when it didn't satisfy as what was requested.
        Didn't anyone from Microsoft see the word "all" Visual Studio editions

• wei huangwei huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I installed vs studio 2012 premium, Vs studio 2013 in my new machine and later I uninstall the 2013. Right now no matter I repairing and re-install 2012 preium. The Fakes feature is gone.Can someone give help to reinstall it. I have MSDN subscription right.

• Miles DaffinMiles Daffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft are treating a fundamental necessity as a sort of luxury item. What would this look like if we were to transpose it into a different context, for instance car sales?

"You will be glad to hear that our mid-range model now has brakes too!" :)

• Gabriel Andres BrancoliniGabriel Andres Brancolini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don't get it. We develop in .net so big companies buys windows OS, in a way we promote microsoft's envirionment, but by the other hand Ms only makes developers to go away and try AND recommend other kind of technology.
        Keep in mind that the most power of developers is out of USA, and we can't afford that very huge ammount of money for a good license.
        The question here is: Do you still want us to recommend .net technologies or keep making us going away to another technologies?

That is not enough. Many people (including Students) only have access to express and professional editions. This kind of policies is what keeps Microsoft away from University environments. Till Microsoft change this policies I will have my students working with Java and Ruby. :-(

• Paul Sorin AlexandrescuPaul Sorin Alexandrescu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a Migration Blocking Condition for us as well. Fakes is replacing Moles but then blocks access due to license level. Definitely not the right approach here!

• Brandon HBrandon H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry guys this simply is not enough. To have a UT mocking framework dependent on the license of an end user seems rather ludicrous to me. You're just forcing your entry market shops to move away from MS stuff little by little. I'm sorely disappointed that the contractors we work with (on Pro only) are now not able to run our UT suites and we will have to move away from Fakes.

• Marco HeineMarco Heine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second that. Have Fakes in professional VS as well, that's what this vote was for in the first place!

Yup, released only ultimate version seems stupid, nowadays lots of the IDE are free, MS should open the mind.

• Nicholas TerryNicholas Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Not providing it with ALL VS editions is stupid. Also, why has it taken until the 2012 edition to do this?!?! It should be available to the 2010 edition as well.

• Kevin MilesKevin Miles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do you people insist on making the same mistakes over and over again ?

Make it available if you want people to use it!

MS (marketing dept perhaps?) made the same type of mistake a while back, by selling Blend separately from VStudio - look at the negative effect that had.

So please get real - it is needed in Professional, now.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base