I suggest you ...

Don't create asterisk for new lines within block comments in C#

In languages like C and C# you can create block comments like this /* ... */. When you press enter within one of these VS thinks it is being helpful by adding an extra space and asterisk like this:

/*
*/

This is really anoying! Every time I press return I then have to press backspace twice as well!

I am aware that this can be turned off unchecking the "Generate XML documentation comments for ///" option, but there are two things wrong with that: First I do want to create XML documentation and second the wording of that setting has absolutly nothing to do with block comments!

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mgbrownmgbrown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tsahitsahi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

actually adding asterisks at the start of each line in block comments is very common, and IMHO makes the comment more visible. I like it.

• Martin DobsonMartin Dobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why multi line comments generation is controlled by "XML documentation Comments" feature is beyond me, should be separate functionality.

• JendaJenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another thing I find pretty annoying is that when I comment out a line of code by adding a // at the beginning of the line and (sometime later) reformat the file, VS reformats the commented line so that the // is in line with the code, not the code.

• DeadDead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "feature" makes multi-line comments in C# utterly useless.

Feedback and Knowledge Base