I suggest you ...

Switch between list view and tree view in pending changes window

I would like to see an option to toggle between the "old" flat list view of files pending changes, and the new tree view introduced in VS2012. The tree view is a good addition, however, often I find myself just looking for a quick overview of which files have changed, and for this the plain list view is easier to use.

584 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SindreSindre shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps the VS project manager can add "value" and "pain" metrics to VS requirements that change existing functionality. Value: The new narrow view works great on a mobile device for the one person curious enough to try it. Pain: The narrow display does not work well on the large displays used by the majority of clients.

Also, if I'm going to take the effort to be an expert with a tool, I want that experience last more than one version. I don't like the idea of changing things just to change them. Imagine if cars came out with altered features every year. Maybe it's easier to press the gas pedal with the left foot? Break with the turn signal? Hey, look at that - the horn button now pops the hood causing me to crash and burn. Guess I'll open a connect issue and ask Ford not to allow that when doing 75. Ford is great - next year's model won't pop the hood with the horn button. This year's model - won't fix. BTW, look at the exciting new safety features of the Ford 2013 - horn button hood release speed check feature (comes standard on the deluxe model only).

Come on Visual Studio Team. The treeview is ridiculous. It is confusing and non productive.
        I still use Visual Studio 2010 for my source control related tasks.

And now you are saying that I have to buy the new version. Is that a joke?

Have you guys worked on big solutions with a lot of projects and deep folders? I only modify a handful of files, and I want to see them in a quick glance list view. Whenever I see a tree, I get frustrated, because I don't know where can I find my file in that tree.

• oemeroemer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh wonderfull work, you are just amazing!!! The list view is just great. No i am just kidding. Why couldn't you add a column for the "change" attribute?! Because postfixing the change to the file name is so much better? And what the **** is the extensive use of the "gray" color. Stop messing more the and fire your usability teams asap. And by the way, are you running out of checkboxes? Or why you force me to drag and drop?

And why did you update the UI of tf.exe? Just to ignore it in Studio? Well the new UI of tf.exe included in Studio is actually all you need to do! But what am i writing? Its useless!

• Tomas HouskaTomas Houska commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well does it mean, that i have to buy VS2013 to get the pending window repaired? Because make something more confusing is a bug, not a feature. If I have 5 files to check in / undo, i dont see them on one screen, i need to scroll and check the path by hand, instead of having one screen of full informations which I need. You should kick designers, VS2012 should be for working, not for playing or observing movie. There is no place for creativity, but there is a lot of place for ergonomic changes.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Agreed with everyone here. Please bring back the old pending changes as the one we have in VS 2012 is complete junk and is nearly unusable.

Now I am all for change and smart ideas... but why oh WHY would you strip out or try to completely reinvent functionality that works perfectly already?

FYI, I have been using this TeamPilgrim extension as a substitute until Microsoft puts this functionality back into VS that they so idiotically left out:
        http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/79e9baa7-ea8b-4335-86ba-ae929bf67222

It is buggy, and crashes VS 2012 all the time. But I would rather deal with this than the alternative.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the old list view with checkboxes and full path. My team works with multiple branches and perform multiple merges during a 4 week cycle. I need to be able to quickly find certain changes (using the full path makes this easy). When you have a large list the treeview is painful!!! please please bring it back

• marcelmarcel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go back to the old "Pending changes" windows. The workflow was almost perfect. For our complete developer team the VS 2012 isn't useable because of this.

• Erik van BerkelErik van Berkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tree view is not intuitive. I cannot see in a glance what I do. What did I add, move or delete? was nicely discoverable by sorting the old list view. The include / exclude feature is nice when you do multiple checkins and don't want some specific files to be accidentilly included, but most of the times it is much quicker to use checkboxes instead of drag/drop or use the context menu. Most important: I want the Pending changes window to be its own window positioned where I want independent of other TFS windows.

• Jan MortensenJan Mortensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dragging back and forth to the excluded list is ok for a small list of pending changes; well takes a Little longer.

But the longer the list gets the more annoying it gets.
        So I use the Explorer integration instead; from TFS Power Tools 2012 as it still uses the old list form

Who invented this????? Who thought that drag and drop to in/exclude is simpler than the checkboxes? Just seeing the tree is making interpretation more complicated than the old view.

I've just started using VS2012 and am gobsmacked that the listview has been deprecated. So, I'll add another vote to getting this feature returned. Like others have stated - "how the **** did this feature get left out?" - it beggars belief and makes one wonder why so many beta testers didn't think this was an important issue?

I will continue to use 2010 for all TFS related work. This is the first time I've seen such a real step backward in a new release of Visual Studio!!! It is amazing to me how unusable the pending changes capabiltiy is in Visual Studio 2012. It makes me seriously doubt that Microsoft Developers are using their own tools. Please bring back the VS2010 Pending Changes window and please analyze what would possess a development team to make such a blunder.

• Scott KorinScott Korin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company just moved from 2012 to 2010, and I find the 2012 Pending Changes window almost completely unusable. My ultimate wish would be to see the 2010 version of Pending Changes window in 2012. I'll be checking in my changes from 2010 for the time being.

Make having the old Pending Changes an option, or perhaps a power-tool add-in. This new version is just not great. I always used the option to group by folder.

• Mattias LantzMattias Lantz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new pending changes is NOT nice to work with. I liked the flat list where it is easy to check/uncheck what I want. Now it is a grey and black mess with folder levels and what not. TOO BUSY and ineffective to work with. Also make it a seperate window. Everyone can mess up, and this was just that. Now please fix this ASAP. I just closed down 2012 and opened 2010 because of the Pending changes window.

I also would like to see old style pending changes back. One question posed was, would it be OK in a tooltip. My answer is categorically NO!!!

You miss the point by suggesting this. The great thing about the old pending changes is you could have it open all the time and track all your changes across projects. Double clicking on the files allowed you to easily find those changes to edit. You need to be abler to see all the paths so you can quickly browse all the changes and check whether any are in the wrong branch or been checked out in error. Putting in a tooltip would be tedious as you would need to hover over every item.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base