I suggest you ...

Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

6,174 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeffJeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Peter RowPeter Row shared a merged idea: Bring back Setup and deployment project type to Visual Studio 2012 and higher  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Create an new setup project type in Visual Studio that doesn't rely on third-party or open-source tools  ·   · 
    decebal mihailescudecebal mihailescu shared a merged idea: bring back the old setup project  ·   · 
    PrzemoPrzemo shared a merged idea: Bring back ability to run specific code when breakpoint is hit  ·   · 
    JavierJavier shared a merged idea: Please, fire workers and managers who Declined to bring back Setup and Deployment projects.  ·   · 
    naresh vonteddynaresh vonteddy shared a merged idea: Please bring back setup project template to visual studio 2012  ·   · 
    Enner PérezEnner Pérez shared a merged idea: Windows Installer Deployment  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the Setup & Deployment project  ·   · 
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: InstallShield "limited edition" SUCKS OUT LOUD! It is unusable and there is NO SUPPORT from either company.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    UMER QaiserUMER Qaiser shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    craigcraig shared a merged idea: bring back the setup project functionality of vs2010. making us pay hundreds of dollars for installshield is ********. what a joke.  ·   · 
    Luke SkywakerLuke Skywaker shared a merged idea: Visual studio 2012 Set up project:  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: MSI Project tool replacement costs more than VS Pro 2012  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: Bring back the MSI Project Installer  ·   · 
    Tony LuggTony Lugg shared a merged idea: Bring back Visual Studio Installer in VS2012  ·   · 
    Daniel DittenhaferDaniel Dittenhafer shared a merged idea: Support building VDPROJ (Setup projects) with MSBUILD  ·   · 
    MaxMax shared a merged idea: improve, extend an speedup Setup projects  ·   · 
    Greg DuncanGreg Duncan shared a merged idea: Don't kill Setup Projects in the next VS (or maybe better include a complete solution)  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

UPDATE:
    We have more information on the next version of InstallShield Limited Edition that will be included in Visual Studio 2013.

What’s new in Visual Studio 2013 and InstallShield Limited Edition

ORIGINAL:
    We’d like to thank you all for your comments on this UserVoice entry. We have been discussing the comments on InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) raised here with Flexera and we are currently working with them to address the top issues. At this stage we have no plans to include the former Visual Studio Setup Projects in future product versions but we will continue to work with Flexera and the community to ensure Visual Studio customers’ setup needs will be met with no-cost tooling that supports a broad range of scenarios.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

763 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hans LarssonHans Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I uninstalled VS2010, then installed VS2013. After a while I realized that all my setup-projs should not work. I do not have the time to learn a new installsoftware. The ligthInstallshield is ****. So I reinstalled VS2010 and realized the all the money for buying VS2013 went up the chimney...

• TanvirTanvir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer. Because it was simple and quick.

• Umbara GedafUmbara Gedaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's why I will buy the next visual studio from the "torrent shop". It seems I have to spend the money of the VS2013 for the conversion of the deployment project to another installation tool.

• RizRiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the setup project in Visual Studio 2013! Neither we want to depend on another third part vendor nor we want to make it complicated. Setup and deployment project was too simple to handle.

• James DennisJames Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot vote and that is preposterous. I am not pleased with this decision by Visual Studio. This decision appears to have been made without any consideration for their dedicated customers and their business needs. Can the Visual Studio team provide some data that shows that this decision was necessary and inevitable?

• JenJen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can't vote because they don't care.

Having 15k+ votes would be too embarrassing for them to ignore.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The setup project was really good. Please bring it back...also we let all vote ...

• Phil LeitchPhil Leitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't vote, if I can't vote how can you be made aware that your decision to decline is wrong?

It would be difficult for you to add enough productivity improvements to VS to counteract the huge loss in productivity this is causing me. Please reconsider your decision.

• ClayClay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've tried InstallShield LE and it crashes my VS2013 instance every single time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I can get no support from Flexera because I have the LE edition. Dropping the setup and deployment project from VS and making us use InstallShield LE has been disastrous. What are we supposed to do?

• JenJen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know you want to get rid of bloat, but don't get rid of stuff the majority of us actually use, depend on, and now ask for.

Rejecting 6k votes (a lot more if it was still open) shows your fingers are firmly in your ears. Again.

I have now been looking at most free tools and none of them are as easy to use and complete as the Visual Studio Installer is in VS2010. Also, SQL projects in VS2013 cannot produce an install script if it doesn't have access to the SQL server. VS2010 has no such trouble.

I guess VS2010 is the latest and greatest Visual Studio from Microsoft. The later ones are simply beta versions with many features lacking.

Hi Team,

Please bring back the Visual Studio Installer.. which is very simple and clean. Its a basic requirement for many developers.

Team,

please bring back the Visual Studio Installer.. which is very simple and clean.

• Erez LernerErez Lerner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft team,
        Give us a simple solution to this scenario: We have dozens of projects written using VS2010 all with buit-in setup. Now these setup projects will not even open in VS2012.
        Why don't you supply a simple pach to include the old installer support from VS2010?
        This is what we do anyway. When we develop using 2012, we package it using 2010.
        And we think twice before staring a new project in 2012.
        Is that what you wanted???

• Long JohnLong John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deep down, I'm actually glad that setup/deployment projects aren't supported by VS2012/13 - it gives me a better reason to deny migration than just "UI is shi t, no macros"

• Morgan GardinerMorgan Gardiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in all of these discussions I have not heard from Microsoft and the Visual Studio folks what the reasoning was behind the decision to no longer support an installer within the Visual Studio Development software. could Someone from MS Visual Studio explain why the decision was made?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Lars-Erik Aabech:

Try Inno Setup or NSIS (both are free open-source installation system) which should suit all your needs.
        There is also 3rd party extension which integrates them with Visual Studio so you can again made installers directly in VS without any other IDE.
        (Works for VS 2005/2008/2010/2012 and even for 2013! - www.visual-installer.com)

• Robert BissonnetteRobert Bissonnette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So how about it Tony, ready to come back and respond in favor of your customers?

How many hours of time do you think this decision has cost your customers?
        How much money has been lost because your customers had to either buy another product or wasted undue amounts of time using new language features that you can't use in vs2010? (where most of us are sticking)

Does Microsoft even care anymore about its image or its customers or is it after money from third parties to bundle up?
        How about you man up and say we made a mistake and we will be bringing back the setup project, instead of just IGNORING us.

How about you take a look at the number of votes again and figure out just how much of an a** you are being about this by saying it is not a hot or top issue.
        How about you admit that Flexera's solution is not meeting customers' setup needs with no-cost tooling that supports a broad range of scenarios?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39

Feedback and Knowledge Base