I suggest you ...

Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

6,174 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeffJeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Peter RowPeter Row shared a merged idea: Bring back Setup and deployment project type to Visual Studio 2012 and higher  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Create an new setup project type in Visual Studio that doesn't rely on third-party or open-source tools  ·   · 
    decebal mihailescudecebal mihailescu shared a merged idea: bring back the old setup project  ·   · 
    PrzemoPrzemo shared a merged idea: Bring back ability to run specific code when breakpoint is hit  ·   · 
    JavierJavier shared a merged idea: Please, fire workers and managers who Declined to bring back Setup and Deployment projects.  ·   · 
    naresh vonteddynaresh vonteddy shared a merged idea: Please bring back setup project template to visual studio 2012  ·   · 
    Enner PérezEnner Pérez shared a merged idea: Windows Installer Deployment  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the Setup & Deployment project  ·   · 
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: InstallShield "limited edition" SUCKS OUT LOUD! It is unusable and there is NO SUPPORT from either company.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    UMER QaiserUMER Qaiser shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    craigcraig shared a merged idea: bring back the setup project functionality of vs2010. making us pay hundreds of dollars for installshield is ********. what a joke.  ·   · 
    Luke SkywakerLuke Skywaker shared a merged idea: Visual studio 2012 Set up project:  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: MSI Project tool replacement costs more than VS Pro 2012  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: Bring back the MSI Project Installer  ·   · 
    Tony LuggTony Lugg shared a merged idea: Bring back Visual Studio Installer in VS2012  ·   · 
    Daniel DittenhaferDaniel Dittenhafer shared a merged idea: Support building VDPROJ (Setup projects) with MSBUILD  ·   · 
    MaxMax shared a merged idea: improve, extend an speedup Setup projects  ·   · 
    Greg DuncanGreg Duncan shared a merged idea: Don't kill Setup Projects in the next VS (or maybe better include a complete solution)  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

UPDATE:
    We have just released an extension which delivers the Visual Studio Installer projects functionality present in Visual Studio 2010 for Visual Studio 2013.

To find out more please read Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro

UPDATE:
    We have more information on the next version of InstallShield Limited Edition that will be included in Visual Studio 2013.

What’s new in Visual Studio 2013 and InstallShield Limited Edition

ORIGINAL:
    We’d like to thank you all for your comments on this UserVoice entry. We have been discussing the comments on InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) raised here with Flexera and we are currently working with them to address the top issues. At this stage we have no plans to include the former Visual Studio Setup Projects in future product versions but we will continue to work with Flexera and the community to ensure Visual Studio customers’ setup needs will be met with no-cost tooling that supports a broad range of scenarios.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

791 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cazpcazp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, it is not clear to me. I recently upgraded from the Visual Studio 2005 version to Visual Studio Express 2013. All I would like is an easy way to make an .msi so that I can install the software on other computers. It would be great to have a manual about this. So far I did not find it.... If someone can help, please let me know

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably this was the same guy that developed Windows 8... and forgot the start-up button. :)
        Please brink it back!

• KMAKMA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why the Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension only for VS2013 ?
        How about VS2012...? How about VS2012...?
        How about VS2012...? How about VS2012...?
        Or Microsoft give up VS2012 !!
        At last, InstallShield LE really really sucks....

• Yudhishtir Yudhishtir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Team,

Is this possible to have extension for VS 2012 ? It is really frustrating that we are supporting for VS 10, VS 13 and skipping VS 12.

Is there any specific reason to skip VS 12 ?

Thanks

• ibuickibuick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

操你妈的大傻逼微软!操你全家大傻逼!你他妈就是傻逼

OS X把你虐出屎来!傻逼微软操你妈纳德拉!

• Jerry JonkersJerry Jonkers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I wanted to have the simple Setup for a Windows service, I've created. The InstallShield Limited Edition will not work when I install the service on our server. I see a youtube video on how to do this for a Windows Service and they show you with the original Installer. Can I use the Install Shield LE to work for a Windows Service ?

• Nimish BhonsaleNimish Bhonsale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Visual Studio extension does not seem to work with Custom Installer actions.
        I keep getting this error: Error 1001. InstallUtilLib.dll: Unknown error.

Just removing the custom installer makes the Installer work fine.

• Jamie TempleJamie Temple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is fantastic news!

One small "niggle"...

If we build our solutions with VS2010, then we will usually encounter 1 'pop-up' message during build, for each setup project, stating:

The command you are attempting cannot be completed because the file 'myProjectSetup.vdproj' is under source code control and is not checked out.

This is totally as expected, as (I think) VS is attempting to update the build version.

The "niggle" is when you try to build the same project in VS 2013 - rather than this "pop-up" message occuring once, it seems to pop-up for every file within the setup ptoject - this can be rather annoying if you are building a website setup project with several 100s of pages.

Holding down the "Enter" key to "ok" each of the pop-up messages works fine, and after a while, my solutions build fine ... it's just a bit annoying ...

... other than that, you guys rock! thanks again!

• rageitrageit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great news for my team which was stuck in VS2010 just because of this!

• Paul BunnPaul Bunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about adding support for VS2012? My projects make heavy use of SQLCE which is not supported in 2013...

• Daniel LaddDaniel Ladd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for skipping a version so now I have to upgrade again. If it is just a plugin why not make it for 2012 as well???

Also, why does Microsoft care so much about InstallShield? Microsoft should just worry about their own products and not worry about forcing their customers to pay out the a** to maintain their workflow. If people really need InstallShield they will buy it, the rest of us who don't need it shouldn't be forced to buy it as well, visual studio is expensive enough as is.

• Stefan CuypersStefan Cuypers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for bringing it back. I will be looking at upgrading to VS2013 now.
        We use a lot of merge files (.msm) so ISLE is not an option for us. The new version also does not seem to support them.

• DickPDickP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is very welcome news I find it incredible that MS could have been so out of touch about customer needs.

• GreenhillSoftwareGreenhillSoftware commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
        Round trips back to VS2010 were causing me problems and I do not currently have time to get to grips with WIX.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40

Feedback and Knowledge Base