I suggest you ...

Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

6,174 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeffJeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Peter RowPeter Row shared a merged idea: Bring back Setup and deployment project type to Visual Studio 2012 and higher  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Create an new setup project type in Visual Studio that doesn't rely on third-party or open-source tools  ·   · 
    decebal mihailescudecebal mihailescu shared a merged idea: bring back the old setup project  ·   · 
    PrzemoPrzemo shared a merged idea: Bring back ability to run specific code when breakpoint is hit  ·   · 
    JavierJavier shared a merged idea: Please, fire workers and managers who Declined to bring back Setup and Deployment projects.  ·   · 
    naresh vonteddynaresh vonteddy shared a merged idea: Please bring back setup project template to visual studio 2012  ·   · 
    Enner PérezEnner Pérez shared a merged idea: Windows Installer Deployment  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the Setup & Deployment project  ·   · 
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: InstallShield "limited edition" SUCKS OUT LOUD! It is unusable and there is NO SUPPORT from either company.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    UMER QaiserUMER Qaiser shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    craigcraig shared a merged idea: bring back the setup project functionality of vs2010. making us pay hundreds of dollars for installshield is ********. what a joke.  ·   · 
    Luke SkywakerLuke Skywaker shared a merged idea: Visual studio 2012 Set up project:  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: MSI Project tool replacement costs more than VS Pro 2012  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: Bring back the MSI Project Installer  ·   · 
    Tony LuggTony Lugg shared a merged idea: Bring back Visual Studio Installer in VS2012  ·   · 
    Daniel DittenhaferDaniel Dittenhafer shared a merged idea: Support building VDPROJ (Setup projects) with MSBUILD  ·   · 
    MaxMax shared a merged idea: improve, extend an speedup Setup projects  ·   · 
    Greg DuncanGreg Duncan shared a merged idea: Don't kill Setup Projects in the next VS (or maybe better include a complete solution)  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

UPDATE:
    We have just released an extension which delivers the Visual Studio Installer projects functionality present in Visual Studio 2010 for Visual Studio 2013.

To find out more please read Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro

UPDATE:
    We have more information on the next version of InstallShield Limited Edition that will be included in Visual Studio 2013.

What’s new in Visual Studio 2013 and InstallShield Limited Edition

ORIGINAL:
    We’d like to thank you all for your comments on this UserVoice entry. We have been discussing the comments on InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) raised here with Flexera and we are currently working with them to address the top issues. At this stage we have no plans to include the former Visual Studio Setup Projects in future product versions but we will continue to work with Flexera and the community to ensure Visual Studio customers’ setup needs will be met with no-cost tooling that supports a broad range of scenarios.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

803 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Harvey GreenHarvey Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad this extension provides some support at least ... we really need to keep the setup & deployment project for our LOB apps.

• Roy HughesRoy Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any actual support for this update? I don't know who to contact about problems with this extension. I can't get the package to install, is it becasue I am using VS 2012 Ultimate? The error log says it can't find the Professional 2013 version or something..... so is this absolutely only for 2013??? What about the people who upgraded from 2010 to 2012? Now I have to do workaround code just to do something that the internal updater did on its own!

• BasicBasic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surrounded by Java people and things like this make it damned hard to support MS products.

"Pay us thousands per seat for the best developer tool on the market, Then pay these other guys for an installer that's so awful most of you stopped using it in the 90s. You don't want to do that? No worries, there's this other thing on Codeplex that works great. Unfortunately, it needs a week of poring through xml files to understand and use but hey, we don't care about your time"

I guess those of us on 2012 for the next few years are just SOL then.

• Phil RogersPhil Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having ongoing solutions/projects that include a deployment project, I was irritated to discover the lack of support for them. Installshield Limited Edition doesn't cut it for me and I'm not prepared to pay Flexera for something that I used to be able to do for free, so I've moved over to the free, open source, Inno Setup. Ok, it doesn't build MSI, but I only need a setup.exe and it does the job perfectly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please keep support the basic setup and deployment in future visual studio versions

GUI installers are anti-DevOps. Please do *not* provide this, it only learns noob developers making a mess of servers, aka DoingItWrong.

I can't stand the flexera ****. The projects I built on windows 8.1 don't work on my back up windows 7 build machine, causing extreme frustration. just dump it.

• Ameed VillarrealAmeed Villarreal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually Im trying to Build Setup projects(vdproj) on TFS 2013 but we need more support for this kind of projects.

thanks!

• NikkiNikki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about those of us stuck with VS2012?!!! We just moved to VS2012 from VS2008! It'll be another five years before they move us again! This sucks!

• cazpcazp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, it is not clear to me. I recently upgraded from the Visual Studio 2005 version to Visual Studio Express 2013. All I would like is an easy way to make an .msi so that I can install the software on other computers. It would be great to have a manual about this. So far I did not find it.... If someone can help, please let me know

Probably this was the same guy that developed Windows 8... and forgot the start-up button. :)
        Please brink it back!

• KMAKMA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why the Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension only for VS2013 ?
        How about VS2012...? How about VS2012...?
        How about VS2012...? How about VS2012...?
        Or Microsoft give up VS2012 !!
        At last, InstallShield LE really really sucks....

• Yudhishtir Yudhishtir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Team,

Is this possible to have extension for VS 2012 ? It is really frustrating that we are supporting for VS 10, VS 13 and skipping VS 12.

Is there any specific reason to skip VS 12 ?

Thanks

• ibuickibuick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

操你妈的大傻逼微软!操你全家大傻逼!你他妈就是傻逼

OS X把你虐出屎来!傻逼微软操你妈纳德拉!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41

Feedback and Knowledge Base