I suggest you ...

Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

6,174 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeffJeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Peter RowPeter Row shared a merged idea: Bring back Setup and deployment project type to Visual Studio 2012 and higher  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Create an new setup project type in Visual Studio that doesn't rely on third-party or open-source tools  ·   · 
    decebal mihailescudecebal mihailescu shared a merged idea: bring back the old setup project  ·   · 
    PrzemoPrzemo shared a merged idea: Bring back ability to run specific code when breakpoint is hit  ·   · 
    JavierJavier shared a merged idea: Please, fire workers and managers who Declined to bring back Setup and Deployment projects.  ·   · 
    naresh vonteddynaresh vonteddy shared a merged idea: Please bring back setup project template to visual studio 2012  ·   · 
    Enner PérezEnner Pérez shared a merged idea: Windows Installer Deployment  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the Setup & Deployment project  ·   · 
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: InstallShield "limited edition" SUCKS OUT LOUD! It is unusable and there is NO SUPPORT from either company.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    UMER QaiserUMER Qaiser shared a merged idea: Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.  ·   · 
    craigcraig shared a merged idea: bring back the setup project functionality of vs2010. making us pay hundreds of dollars for installshield is ********. what a joke.  ·   · 
    Luke SkywakerLuke Skywaker shared a merged idea: Visual studio 2012 Set up project:  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: MSI Project tool replacement costs more than VS Pro 2012  ·   · 
    Chris SaundersChris Saunders shared a merged idea: Bring back the MSI Project Installer  ·   · 
    Tony LuggTony Lugg shared a merged idea: Bring back Visual Studio Installer in VS2012  ·   · 
    Daniel DittenhaferDaniel Dittenhafer shared a merged idea: Support building VDPROJ (Setup projects) with MSBUILD  ·   · 
    MaxMax shared a merged idea: improve, extend an speedup Setup projects  ·   · 
    Greg DuncanGreg Duncan shared a merged idea: Don't kill Setup Projects in the next VS (or maybe better include a complete solution)  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

UPDATE:
    We have more information on the next version of InstallShield Limited Edition that will be included in Visual Studio 2013.

What’s new in Visual Studio 2013 and InstallShield Limited Edition

ORIGINAL:
    We’d like to thank you all for your comments on this UserVoice entry. We have been discussing the comments on InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) raised here with Flexera and we are currently working with them to address the top issues. At this stage we have no plans to include the former Visual Studio Setup Projects in future product versions but we will continue to work with Flexera and the community to ensure Visual Studio customers’ setup needs will be met with no-cost tooling that supports a broad range of scenarios.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

763 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the setup project in VS 2013! We don't want to depend on another third part vendor.

• Lars-Erik AabechLars-Erik Aabech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Installshield still sucks in VS2013. It just crashed my VS, and is generally too hard to learn.
        I want a simple, built-in setup project.
        Depending on partners for something this important for developers is just lazy.

• Rauf AbidRauf Abid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft,
        Installshield LE does not provide single setup solution, It does not allow us to add prerequisite files manually but have some ready made prerequisite already included in it. I really hate this nonsense. Please Microsoft bring back your native setup creation again plzzzzzzzzz.

• SheldmanduSheldmandu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a pathetic excuse for such a company. At least give us a decent answer for why all of a sudden setup projects were dropped. Oh wait, you cant because the answer is you're getting kickbacks from the 3rd party vendor of a ****** solution that most developer won't want to fork out on anyway. This is exactly the reason why people will just keep sticking with VS2010, which means less revenue from VS sales.

• netaspnetasp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will never upgrade our VS 2010 only for that reason, should M$ continue to ignore us, we will have to look elsewhere and I am sure M$ couldn't care less

very sad...

• BillyBilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, give people a good vdproj to wix or installshield converts and people will shut up and resuming thinking you are awesome. The tool from add-in express (wix) and install shield cost and the free versions suck. Microsoft, Apple looks appealing. Once you go Apple, you never go back to Redmond.

• BillyBilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous. So, Microsoft is copying Apple (it never does anything original) and betting on its windows store because Apple and Google are doing that. Fine. Just stop throwing the legacy windows app developers to the curb; especially those that cannot kick Microsoft to the curb back, and where it belongs. Come on. Instead of deprecating this outright, why not be like LINQ-to-SQL and have it working, although no updates are forthcoming.

• SrikanthSrikanth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is strange.. Why MS is ignoring these many developer requests ??? What is the goal of VS Team in removing the simple setup projects and making things complex with all these beta kind of additions???

• N RSN RS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring it back.

You removed a "free" tool, replaced it with nothing except a $2000 product?
        Why distribute a compiler with Visual Studio. In VS2014, you can write code but running it requires a $2000 add-on.

What was MS thinking?
        InstallShield LE is not the answer. Microsoft...we are you customers and WE want your product not this 3rd party afterthought.

• StevenSteven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I attempted the installshield LT. Althought the Ui is simple enough, you have to move the whole folder to install your service(not just the msi or setup), unless you buy the full version, also good luck setting the service to run under any account with privileges, IE Local System. You will get a permission error.

Guess im on to trying wix...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All show and no go in VS2013, our whole development team is sick of it

#1 Issue - lack of setup project

• Hariharan SatyavakeeswaranHariharan Satyavakeeswaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ISEXP : fatal error -9088: InstallShield does not have support for converting Visual Studio Web Setup projects into InstallShield projects.

This is the error that i get which i try to upgrade an websetup project i.e. deployment of Webservice using InstallShield Limited Edition.

There has to be a better convertion tool support if you had planned to remove .vdproj all together,

• MahenMahen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't know they removed macros from VS as well!

Life get's sadder and sadder.

How long can I stick with VS 2010?

• seansean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're going to force us to abandon setup and deployment projects, at least make a (robust) converter for the new format. Imagine how many man hours of work worldwide it's taking to re-write ,test and fix all the setup projects.

• I quitI quit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You suggest that we spend an extra $2k for more mediocre software - that's twice what we've already paid! I don't know what kick-backs you're getting for this, but if you're desperate for money then just release some decent software!

• I quitI quit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to justify to management $1000+ a year for Visual Studio.. and now I'm having to explain that the delays are due to this constant "upgrading" actually giving less and less each time! I just can't do this anymore!

Setup projects were ok - nicely integrated into the IDE, did exactly what was needed with minimal fuss. We all invested into it like suckers, we've spent time working on it, testing it, and all our software deployment depends on it. You didn't need to pull it!

I know I can't tell you where to invest your resources.. but I do have some control over what technology my company invests in. It used to be Microsoft - not any more. We're getting out of this lock-in + rug pulling hamster wheel.

Feedback and Knowledge Base