I suggest you ...

InstallShield Limited Edition setup project kill performance

When we add an InstallShield Limited Edition setup project in a solution, Visual Studio will often stop responding and become much more slower.

And by the way, if such a project is loaded when we open a solution, Visual Studio will crash thus we have to rename the folder so that next time we start Visual Studio the project won't be load automatically (and then load it manually).

And since Visual Studio stop responding much more often when we have such project in a solution, we have to restart Visual Studio much more often (and have to do the manual step to avoid a crash on opening as it look like InstallShield try to uses other projects before they are loaded)

When such a project is loaded, part of Visual Studio often stop responding. In particular, solution explorer and editors are much affected to the point were it almost unusable.

Before I had such project to my solution, I never have such a degradation of performance.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PhilippePhilippe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James StewartJames Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't waste your valuable time (and hair) with this IS ****. It really is a complete time-waster - crashes, failing to find files, etc, etc. Try Inno Setup instead. Try anything else. Try writing your own, from scratch - it will probably be better, and quicker than wrestling with this nonsense.

• PhilippePhilippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given that and the fact that InstallShield is far less robust that Visual Studio itself, I think it was a really bad idea to stop supporting legacy projects...

And not mentionning that it take far more time to create a workable setup with their limited products as it has a lot of issues like those mentionned above and the fact that the setup is not valid (missing files, files outputted to the wrong folder...)

By the way, I have an application with a bunch of C++ and C# projects where some C++ projects are managed while other are in mixed mode. And I eventually want to make my application works with "any CPU" in the future so it is important that in such a case, it works as expected on 64 bits system.

Feedback and Knowledge Base