I suggest you ...

Bring back the "VISUAL" in visual studio

Visual studio used to have a kick *** interface. However, everything about the 2012 interface looks.. amateurish.

-The icon looks like something a 3 year old did.

-The lack of depth makes the whole thing jump into my face.

-The upper cased menus are screaming at me (try posting on a forum in all caps... see what the response is).

In a nutshell, whoever designed the interface needs to go back to the grade school I'm sure they dropped out of and finish their education. Maybe get a job at a fast food place running a cash register... Because they have zero talent for making a good looking UI.

We have incredibly high resolution monitors that can render beautiful images. To go all grey (or black) is such a step backwards that I can not believe this really passed user testing.

You'll notice that iPhones went from this type of boring UI and changed to using high res displays with lots of good color. You should have also noticed that this was exactly what people wanted.. and they sold like hotcakes.

In the old days people scrambled to get color monitors just to get away from the ho-hum grayness of working with a machine all day. To send us backwards is irritating at best and abusive at worst.

Please, make Visual Studio look good again.

I don't care about metro, or whatever your calling it these days. I figure it'll take 3 years for you to figure out what a mistake that is and fix it. In the meantime, let me keep the Win7 look.

Note, I wouldn't post anything if I didn't care. I do. I want to use the best. This, well, isn't. It's not even a "good effort". Instead, it looks like something that was slapped together at the last minute.

2,337 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    chrischris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    hamed alinassabhamed alinassab shared a merged idea: Change Visual Studio 2012 UI Theme PLEASE  ·   · 

151 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • brianbrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Maciej Jakub Bańkowski

I agree with you unfortunately Microsoft is a company that has stopped listening and now appears to be run by marketing people who have absolutely no idea what is right for their users or their business.

What they have done to the Windows business is well open to a shareholder law suite against the senior management of Microsoft for total and utter incompetence. They had a chance to save the day when the initial reviews of the beta came in - yet they chose to ignore leaving the desk top users lost in a sea of sheer and utter touch mania.

Same with VS 2013 - refused to listen, ok they tweaked a little but that's all.
        Arrogance is now what Microsoft excels in rather than brilliant products. Just hope their new head is more competent than the last - which does beg the question did he jump or was he pushed....

• Maciej Jakub BańkowskiMaciej Jakub Bańkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cling on to VS 2010 and Windows 7 precisely because of the look & feel of the UI.

I recently installed, was forced to do it really, VS 2013 on Windows 8.1 - I could not find many of the things I use in development, like 'Do I have Management Studio installed? Where is it? How do I search the filesystem? How do I start the SQL Server service? WHY IS VS MENU ALL IN CAPS?

Thankfully the project was cancelled and I could get back to VS2010+Win7. I really miss and want the new & cool features of .NET 4.5 and VS2013 but I want to be productive more.

Fix the UI and usability, please.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i love VS2008 since then its gone to ****, i keep holding on to 2008 thinking they will see the error of their ways but each new version is worse and worse.
        2008 was the first useful version of .net before that it was not worth upgrading from vs6

• martinmartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As VS ide is now WPF how about allowing the user to override the styles? Then we can do what we want with it. Mine would be a green screen with fixed width fonts and a main window frame that looks like an IBM dumb terminal. Then we can all spend half our lives criticising each others ide styles. Success.

Or I could just learn/setup the keyboard shortcuts for the features I use and then get on with writing some code and ignore what the icons looks like.

Which one would lead to a more productive programmer?

• MeMe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best part of Visual Studio is that ever-so-lovely "Uninstall.EXE" app that comes with the package.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex Edelstein - Thanks to you and your 1991 team members for the good work.

@Microsoft - Why do you even keep this issue open? It's like an anxiety closet where everyone vents off their frustration until they're fighting with one another... or is that the goal?

Build 2014 has been a huge disappointment. A mickey mouse Start Menu proposal with Metro Tiles, no Aero and no changes to the flat, dull and lifeless color schemes. Actually someone was singing the praises of the great Ribbon interface... whatever.

And now we get Metro applications that run in... Windows !?!? with icons to close the Windows...

Vote with your pocket books folks because this - is going nowhere.

• Alex EdelsteinAlex Edelstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm baffled at the general trend towards flat graphics. The amount of information loss is enormous. I remember designing icons as part of the original Microsoft Exchange team in 1991, and we sought for realism and clarity, not dumb pseudo modernism. That attitude would serve Microsoft well today.

• MartianMartian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get back old good color icons, now it is practically unusefull. Why do you ignore all voices? Is it still not enough?

• JenJen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using VS2013 for more than a month and I still find it a really bad experience!! I desperately want to get away from this.

Is there was an alternative to Visual Studio for C#?? I don't want to re-skill just because the IDE is dreadful.

x

• Keith HillKeith Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the UI as it stands in VS 2013 and especially when compared to VS 2010. If the all caps menu bothers you that much, disable it with this registry setting:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General
        DWORD: SuppressUppercaseConversion
        Value: 1

• John HenneseyJohn Hennesey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the haters aside, the UI for vs 2013 is really hard to get used to. So is windows 8.1. And the upper case... I'm sure it all looks good on a tablet, but who programs on a tablet? Common sense needs to take over, please. :)

I don't know why Microsoft don't listen to us, we are the ones who are using the system 16 hour everyday. This metro is **** for developers. I installed windows 7 and visual studio 2010 back

• Christophe KellerChristophe Keller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The icons in VS 2012 are just too hard to understand and don't make sense, just give us the choice to use the efficient icon set of VS 2010.

AND DISABLE THE ALL CAPS, DAMMIT!

Although I have found that I like the new user interface because it is a lot less distracting with fewer colors, the all-caps menu does get on my nerves; not because it looks bad, but because it is really distracting. I can't keep my eyes off of it because it just looks so out of place.

Everything you do with a computer generally begins with your eyes so I would say Yes, we are spending all of our time staring at the interface. I agree VS2013 is better looking than VS2012 but how does VS2012 rate when compared to VS2010? We all have an opinion and that's a good thing really.

It's beginning to sound more and more like there's going to be some major changes to Windows based on consumer feedback towards Windows 8/8.1 It is my sincere wish MS gets it right in this next go-around. If there's going to be a desktop version optimized for mouse and keyboard then it's a good time to put the visual back into Visual Studio. Personally, I would like to see the desktop restored to something as visually good as Windows 7 and along with this, re-skin Visual Studio to be compatible with all of the visual features. In my opinion, we lost a lot of visual ground with Windows 8 and Metro.

Lets move forward from this point. I think there's a good argument to be made to re-style if the rumors are true. And if I was Microsoft - I would share my plans going forward more freely. If your development community tells you it doesn't look too good - it probably doesn't look too good.

One developer doesn't know everything but as a group we certainly have something to offer.

• Florian S.Florian S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think VS 2013 solved a lot of it. IMHO, the IDE as of today looks much more modern and less cluttered than in the past (and I've used VS since the .NET versions). And I don't really get the big issue some people have with capitalized menu headers... I mean, hello? Are you working with the IDE or are you spending your time staring at the menu headers? I don't even notice what they look like exactly anymore because I just click and select the stuff because I know where to find it. And people who misinterpret a design decision to make them all upper case with "now they are screaming at me!" perhaps spent too much time in mind-dumbing chat rooms...

No offense - if I'd to decide over it, I'd just put a checkbox in Settings "Use capitalized menu headers". That'd be it. Problem solved. ;)

• azerazer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS needs Metro apps, many and quickly, but everyone with a brain and two eyes hates Metro. So MS smart thinking was this. We first inculcate this UI to our developers, we force it on them, we brag about it, we brain wash them with it. Then they'll start thinking only with Metro UI and they'll develop them and here they are: Metro apps used by Metro people with Metro money. YES! that's what we want, a menu screaming METRO MONEYS at me all the day!

• IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is seriously one of the most important things in my mind. When 2010 came out it was the most wonderful piece of software on my desktop. Now it's just kinda ******. All in UI terms, here.

• JMCF125JMCF125 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found the solution for this quite some time ago - using Linux. If you really like C# use Mono. If you really like something in Windows, use WINE (or even to run a program in Windows Forms). Problem solved.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base