I suggest you ...

Visual Studio 2012 Theme is Terrible!

I realize that you're trying to make VS 2012 look flatter like Windows 8 (metro), but it's now so flat that you can barely tell where one tool pallet ends and the other begins. The light theme is too light, and the dark theme is too dark.

Maybe take a look at XCode for inspiration, it's a dream to use in comparison. (I use both daily)

67 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JasonJason shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KammKamm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If MS keeps thinking like that (it's a tool, not a painting) it will keep losing market share to Apple. Apple understands that form is more important that functionality. However, there is nothing that says VS can't be both. It used to be both. I wholeheartedly agree that VS 2012 is ugly - and Windows 8 desktop is too.

Certainly getting bugs out is the highest priority, but aesthetics *do* matter. Imagine going to a car dealership where they have two cars - a car that gets 50 MPG and looks like a brick (ugly as H E double hockey sticks) and they have another car that gets 30 MPG and looks like the definition of beauty itself. How many of those 50 MPG cars are going to get sold? Probably zero. Hopefully the point is made.

It matters less for VS because it has no real competition, but if it did, I guarantee you VS would not sell well if the competing product was even close to being in the same class functionally.

• Russell HorwoodRussell Horwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wrong! Everyone seems to moan about a new theme for the first few minutes, whether it's Office or Facebook or anything, simply because they are not used to it, then a few years later when it changes again, people moan again. But who cares about the poxy theme anyway? Seriously, how about paying attention to something that matters, like functionality. It's a tool not a painting.The biggest problem with VS is that it has thousands and thousands of bugs in it, if they have fixed some of those without introducing several million more then it's a step in the right direction.

Feedback and Knowledge Base